Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2014, 07:29 PM

837 posts, read 1,256,163 times

Advertisements

Is Martinique a French version of Barbados, in the sense that Martinique is like a 'Little France' the way that Barbados is like a 'Little England', or is it more complicated than that? (I would bet the latter, given that Martinique has a Creole sort of culture in a way that Barbados doesn't.) In other words, is there a French West Indian island (whether or not a dependency of France nowadays) that is exactly as French in atmosphere as Barbados is British in atmosphere?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2014, 08:58 PM

1,554 posts, read 1,905,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yofie View Post
Is Martinique a French version of Barbados, in the sense that Martinique is like a 'Little France' the way that Barbados is like a 'Little England', or is it more complicated than that? (I would bet the latter, given that Martinique has a Creole sort of culture in a way that Barbados doesn't.) In other words, is there a French West Indian island (whether or not a dependency of France nowadays) that is exactly as French in atmosphere as Barbados is British in atmosphere?
Martinique is an overseas department of France. It is an integral part of France.

Guadeloupe is also another department d'outre mers of France.

There is also French Saint Martin

Saint Barthélemy, Saint Bart's.

Marie Galante

Barbados has a very diverse mixed rich "Creole" culture as well!

Bahamas and Cayman Islands had some noticeable British influences that stand out.

Many of the Dutch ABC (Aruba, Bonaire, Curaçao) islands have lots notable elements that mirror the atmosphere of Dutch Amsterdam's Netherlands.

Old 10-19-2014, 02:46 AM

692 posts, read 957,511 times
Quote:
If you're looking for a "Little France" in the Caribbean you're probably better off going to St Barths. Martinique is somewhat more French than Guadeloupe, but it's still very Créole.

Old 10-19-2014, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SobreTodo View Post
Martinique is an overseas department of France. It is an integral part of France.

Guadeloupe is also another department d'outre mers of France.

There is also French Saint Martin

Saint Barthélemy, Saint Bart's.

Marie Galante

Barbados has a very diverse mixed rich "Creole" culture as well!

Bahamas and Cayman Islands had some noticeable British influences that stand out.

Many of the Dutch ABC (Aruba, Bonaire, Curaçao) islands have lots notable elements that mirror the atmosphere of Dutch Amsterdam's Netherlands.
I think, though, that the ABC islands have some Latin American influence (on top of the Dutch influence) the way that those other islands mentioned above don't. In other words, it seems to me that those other islands are more "purely" Caribbean (alongside their respective European colonial influences) than the ABC islands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexdiamondz1902 View Post
If you're looking for a "Little France" in the Caribbean you're probably better off going to St Barths. Martinique is somewhat more French than Guadeloupe, but it's still very Créole.
Sounds like, then, that St. Barts would be the more exact equivalent for French culture of Barbados for British culture? (St. Barts, after all, does have a higher standard of living than Martinique or Guadeloupe, the way I understand it.) And Martinique would be the French equivalent more like of Trinidad, Grenada, St. Kitts, Antigua, etc.?

Old 10-19-2014, 12:07 PM

Quote:
I think, though, that the ABC islands have some Latin American influence (on top of the Dutch influence) the way that those other islands mentioned above don't. In other words, it seems to me that those other islands are more "purely" Caribbean (alongside their respective European colonial influences) than the ABC islands.

Sounds like, then, that St. Barts would be the more exact equivalent for French culture of Barbados for British culture? (St. Barts, after all, does have a higher standard of living than Martinique or Guadeloupe, the way I understand it.) And Martinique would be the French equivalent more like of Trinidad, Grenada, St. Kitts, Antigua, etc.?
French culture is Latin!

ABC islands have unique influences from Spain and to some degree Portuguese influences. The ABC islands also have a significant undeniable Sephardic Jewish influence since it was a haven for Sephardi Jewish fleeing the Inquisition and also a big vessel and source of Jewish slave traders, and business people. Many of the "Dutch" people were actually Dutch Sephardi Jews. And this had a significant influence on the formation and development of the Papiamento/Papiamentu dialect and creole languages.

I'm not sure what you mean by "purely Caribbean" as any place in the Caribbean is simply Caribbean. ABC islands are just as Caribbean as any other. Please explain exactly what you mean?

Also many English speaking islands have more roots in French culture, and qualify as French Caribbean such as Dominica and St Lucia and many others.

Old 10-19-2014, 12:29 PM

Quote:
French culture is Latin!

ABC islands have unique influences from Spain and to some degree Portuguese influences. The ABC islands also have a significant undeniable Sephardic Jewish influence since it was a haven for Sephardi Jewish fleeing the Inquisition and also a big vessel and source of Jewish slave traders, and business people. Many of the "Dutch" people were actually Dutch Sephardi Jews. And this had a significant influence on the formation and development of the Papiamento/Papiamentu dialect and creole languages.

I'm not sure what you mean by "purely Caribbean" as any place in the Caribbean is simply Caribbean. ABC islands are just as Caribbean as any other. Please explain exactly what you mean?

Also many English speaking islands have more roots in French culture, and qualify as French Caribbean such as Dominica and St Lucia and many others.
Sorry, when I said Latin American, I meant specifically Spanish/Portuguese and not also French, even though French is technically also Latin.

When I say "purely" Caribbean, I mean without much influence from mainland South and Central America. For example, the ABC islands have much more influence from Venezuela, Colombia, and Central America than islands like Barbados, St. Lucia, or Martinique do.

It seems to me that a more exact Anglo equivalent of St. Barts would be Anguilla or the British Virgin Islands as opposed to Barbados. If that's so, then Martinique and Guadeloupe would be the French equivalents of Barbados, Antigua, St. Kitts, etc.

Old 10-20-2014, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Sorry, when I said Latin American, I meant specifically Spanish/Portuguese and not also French, even though French is technically also Latin.

When I say "purely" Caribbean, I mean without much influence from mainland South and Central America. For example, the ABC islands have much more influence from Venezuela, Colombia, and Central America than islands like Barbados, St. Lucia, or Martinique do.

It seems to me that a more exact Anglo equivalent of St. Barts would be Anguilla or the British Virgin Islands as opposed to Barbados. If that's so, then Martinique and Guadeloupe would be the French equivalents of Barbados, Antigua, St. Kitts, etc.
Well Haiti is definitely part of Latin America. All of the islands have some connection to Spanish and Portuguese influence in many ways.

And actually all the islands have had cultural exchanges between Central and South America during migrations of Native Americans ancestors from East Asia crossing into the Bering Strait and such was reinforced when European colonization and trading and conquest into the region, so the term"purely Caribbean" doesn't seem to make sense at all whatsoever. ALL islands in the Caribbean are Caribbean. Of course each island has it's own unique culture and can culturally intersect or have commonalities with other regions and places!

ABC islands actually has had cultural exchanges and mutual migrations from Barbados, Saint Lucia, and Martinique, just as much as it has had commonalities and cultural exchanges and mutual migrations with/from Venezuela, Colombia, and Central America. Saint Lucia's cultural base and influence is mostly Latin/French. While Barbados is definitely very British some aspects of the island have Latin residual influences such as the long rooted historic Sephardi Jewish community that has been on the island of Barbados continually/continuously since the early colonial period!

As we know, Martinique is a very French/Latin island. Saint Lucia and Dominica's cultures and traditions (among others) are identical to Martinique and Guadeloupe among other islands.

Saint Kitts has some French influences and Latin influences. In fact much of the historic white population in Saint Kitts is of French descent dating back to colonial times

Old 10-20-2014, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Well Haiti is definitely part of Latin America. All of the islands have some connection to Spanish and Portuguese influence in many ways.

And actually all the islands have had cultural exchanges between Central and South America during migrations of Native Americans ancestors from East Asia crossing into the Bering Strait and such was reinforced when European colonization and trading and conquest into the region, so the term"purely Caribbean" doesn't seem to make sense at all whatsoever. ALL islands in the Caribbean are Caribbean. Of course each island has it's own unique culture and can culturally intersect or have commonalities with other regions and places!

ABC islands actually has had cultural exchanges and mutual migrations from Barbados, Saint Lucia, and Martinique, just as much as it has had commonalities and cultural exchanges and mutual migrations with/from Venezuela, Colombia, and Central America. Saint Lucia's cultural base and influence is mostly Latin/French. While Barbados is definitely very British some aspects of the island have Latin residual influences such as the long rooted historic Sephardi Jewish community that has been on the island of Barbados continually/continuously since the early colonial period!

As we know, Martinique is a very French/Latin island. Saint Lucia and Dominica's cultures and traditions (among others) are identical to Martinique and Guadeloupe among other islands.

Saint Kitts has some French influences and Latin influences. In fact much of the historic white population in Saint Kitts is of French descent dating back to colonial times
Of course, Bermuda (which is out in the North Atlantic but is mistakenly thought of as a Caribbean island) doesn't have much in the way of Latin influences, although even there, a) it was the Spanish who first discovered that area and b) there's been a Portuguese community there since the mid-19th century.

Old 10-21-2014, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Of course, Bermuda (which is out in the North Atlantic but is mistakenly thought of as a Caribbean island) doesn't have much in the way of Latin influences, although even there, a) it was the Spanish who first discovered that area and b) there's been a Portuguese community there since the mid-19th century.
Yep. In addition Bermuda is technically not in the Caribbean. Guyana technically is not Caribbean either. Puerto Rico, Cuba, and DR are all in the West Indies/Caribbean/Antilles.

Trinidad is said to be more South American than Caribbean in terms of history/geography.

Many islands actually have Latin influences and culture. Such was also reinforced my Sephardi Jewish settlers in the region. It was also a haven for Crypto Jews looking for a haven to practice their religion and thus also Latinidad! Such a rich and complex interwoven history.

Old 10-21-2014, 04:39 PM

9,962 posts, read 12,382,397 times
Trinidad is probably the most Spanish of the English speaking Caribbean islands especially in place names e.g. The name TRINIDAD and towns such as San Juan and San Fernando also the surnames of many of the citizens there.

The island is apart of South America, many animal species there are unique to Trinidad in the Caribbean more akin to South America.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas