Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2016, 10:08 AM

672 posts, read 811,126 times

Advertisements

As many have, I have thought about relocation south. With most it is retirement not so much in my case. I'm thinking before retirement. I like Mediterranean style homes, greenery, farming which includes livestock, Water, lots of fresh water. Having a large family with children is also a huge consideration. Within the next five years I'm thinking of liquidating my assets and moving from my area. I've thought about other areas in the U.S. but I'm just not sure. Many places I've traveled has appeal. Residency seems easiest accomplished in Ecuador, Panama and Uruguay with land purchases.

Other considerations would be business friendly, taxes on in-country sourced income. Let's say catering to other gringos coming down and international travelers in hospitality related adventure. Other places in the world have appeal as well but don't seem very easy to migrate permanently. If you could walk out of the U.S. after paying Uncle Sam with 6 to 700k where would go to buy a farm, ranch, resort etc.?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2016, 11:06 AM

4,096 posts, read 3,726,557 times
No country has venezuela-like problems, that's on another level.

Ecuador is also safer than Panama and when it comes to agriculture and fresh water Ecuador is your best bet. It's also relatively close to the USA for flying back to visit. Uruguay is far and only has 3.5 million people, shouts boring to me. However you do have Argentina and Brazil not too far away for your holiday needs.

Old 05-27-2016, 03:07 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,407,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xCrazyDaisyx View Post
Ecuador isn't that safe. According to my family there they have Venezuela-like problems.
I doubt that. Ecuador isn't even in the top ten worst countries when it comes to crime. Venezuela is at the top of the list. Ecuador is also more stable economically right now.

Old 05-27-2016, 03:17 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,726,194 times
Default ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pueblofuerte View Post

Ecuador is also safer than Panama and when it comes to agriculture and fresh water Ecuador is your best bet. It's also relatively close to the USA for flying back to visit. Uruguay is far and only has 3.5 million people, shouts boring to me. However you do have Argentina and Brazil not too far away for your holiday needs.

I though about the idea you have about cashing out one day and heading some hot and cheaper to live and then I watched this documentary. I know it is about Nicaragua, but I think much of the lessons, trails and tribulations discussed in it can be applied to many places. I think sometimes we assume that the laws and legal system in other countries will be similar and logical, but that can be complainly not true.

At this moment by family has a pretty big chunk of land in Trinidad that we very likely will never to be able to sell or occupy because squatters have claimed rights to the land and there are drug lords apparently doing some shaddy stuff in the area. In Trinidad even if you own land anyone can make claims about it if they show they have been occupying the land even if illegally for certain period of time (welcome to the developing world). Trying to go occupy the land now and reclaim it in a physical sense would be dangerous and I would not anyone in my family to die in persuit of a peice of land.

Land technically owned by my family it Syria will never to reclaimed ( for obvious reasons... thanks Assad and ISIS) and less obvious reasons like we are not actually from there and the local people and authorities will find every way possible to make it impossible to get the land back that is would not be worth it even it there was not war going on.

I techinically I should inherit several properties and money in Morocco possibly in the future, but I am pretty certain after my previous experiences getting less serious matters taken care of there I would get cheated out of it and not be allowed to move the money out of the country even if the properties were sold.

I think as nice as it seems to move to certain place like you are describing, especially outside of major cities it comes with many serious risks that should be taken in to consideration ex your personal safety (ex because now you are going to be a clear target for anyone looking for quick finanical gain).

Last edited by klmrocks; 05-27-2016 at 03:27 PM..

Old 06-01-2016, 08:48 AM

990 posts, read 881,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pueblofuerte View Post

Montevideo is a relative big city with more than 2 millions in the metro area and Bs As is close only 1 hour by boat. Advances very safe, stable economically, agriculture country and tax friendly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas