Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2013, 02:59 AM

4,432 posts, read 6,985,065 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
They get far more vacation time, us Americans can probably take a oversees vacation only once a year so it's usually a big deal and we spend a lot of money to stay at nice hotels and eat at nice resturants. I would personally rather stay at a hostel because it seems like a good opportunity to meet people.
Some of the hostels are more party type of hostels where there seems to be a party every night. Other hostels such as the YHA are not so like that. I found the YHA the cleanest budget hostels around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2013, 09:11 AM

3,678 posts, read 7,217,406 times
Yeah traveling overseas is too expensive, why go to another country when you can go to Disney world or Disney land, or go swim in the pacific ocean or Atlantic ocean, go and see some alligators in the swamps or go to the grand canyon in one of the hottest deserts in the world, or climb up a mountain and see the beautiful scenery, or party in Miami, go to the Hollywood sign, maybe see Broadway shows an the statue of liberty in NYC, or drive down to DC...

Old 08-16-2013, 10:16 AM

3,322 posts, read 7,973,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali3448893 View Post
Yeah traveling overseas is too expensive, why go to another country when you can go to Disney world or Disney land, or go swim in the pacific ocean or Atlantic ocean, go and see some alligators in the swamps or go to the grand canyon in one of the hottest deserts in the world, or climb up a mountain and see the beautiful scenery, or party in Miami, go to the Hollywood sign, maybe see Broadway shows an the statue of liberty in NYC, or drive down to DC...
One thing the US lacks is history. You can't go back 1,000 years here because the US is a very young country. I saw the Mona Lisa in person. I've been inside a former concentration camp in Austria, not old but most definitely historical. I've walked thru the Vatican. I've been inside The Coliseum.

I've seen alot of things we talked about in history class. I always wondered how those things were in real life. If my imagination matches reality. You can sense the history. To stand in a spot where so much as happen, its awe-inspring.

Disney is cool once. I've been to Disneyworld and land, yippie! I went last year three times, its fun but its not that much more fun than any other large theme park UNLESS you have kids.

Swimming in the Pacific ocean off the West coast compared to the Great Barrier Reef is not the same thing...trust me.

Half of the stuff you listed is about California, come on now, don't be jaded. The hike to the Hollywood sign isn't that great, you have to jump a fence to get close enough to take a good photo. My buddies did it then had to run away from the cops.

All I know is if/when I get old, I want to be able to look back and feel like I lived my life to the fullest. Did I experience the world? I really doubt anyone will think, "oh man, I remember driving that new Camaro...best moment ever."

One thing I definitely learned, I don't want to travel when I get old...not a chance in hell. Outside the US, the world is filled with steep steep narrow stairs and cobblestone streets. During my travels, I've seen so many old people inch away around famous locations as I wallk by with ease. I'll enjoy the materialisticside of my personality when traveling becomes a pain in the ass...literally!

Old 08-16-2013, 10:20 AM

27,570 posts, read 28,673,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nzrugby View Post
With a brother who runs a backpackers in the North of New Zealand one thing that stands out is the lack of young Americans traveling.
With fifty million Americans with passports one would expect more of them.

We get lots of Canadians, Germans, Scandinavians,Israelis, and of course our dearly beloved brothers Australians who make their own rules up when we play them in sport.
In sheer numbers we get more Canadians than young Americans yet there is a lot more Americans

So if the USA is a rich country why don't your young travel, fear of the unknown ?
You get a lot of Canadians in New Zealand? Well, that's interesting.

Old 08-16-2013, 11:08 AM

14,773 posts, read 21,504,427 times
History is History and a lot of the History is depressing.
Especially in Europe, I don't wanna hear about world war 1 and 2 and the holocaust.
I remember on a building in France there was a lot of broken stone on the side and the lady we were with was all like "that was from an invasion durring WWII" and she said it like she was proud of it.
I don't understand why you would want to preserve that.

Memorials, I can understand.

Old 08-16-2013, 11:29 AM

3,703 posts, read 4,852,685 times
The US has plenty of History which interests me. I personally have no interest in paintings that suck just because they are famous. Just my opinion. My view of art is going to the Ward Museum or local waterfowl festivals and checking out old decoys and lifelike bird carvings.

I'd rather walk around a US civil war battlefield, old colonial area fort or DC's mall then see crumbling ruins in Italy. Just not my cup of tea. Personally, I've seen a lot of things talked about in history class as well, but US history. It really interests me.

Personally I'd rather be in a boat then swim in the ocean but that's me. So IMO it's hard to beat FL's keys in water clarity and beauty, IMO. Of course the Bahamas and Caribbean have that clarity as well and are only a short ride away but many here in C-D don't consider those places exotic enough. Besides, I can drive to the keys if I want.

Old 08-16-2013, 12:38 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Why are vacation times so miserable in the USA, habit ? the lads who work for me in Aus get between five and six weeks off a year.
Since it is possible for the vast majority of first world countries to regulate that holiday time will be at least a month a year, why is it that the USA cannot do the same ?
Government work tends to have more liberal vacation times. I always had 1 month off/year when I worked at a university. In the private sector, it's up to each company to set their own vacation time. Some allow employees to gradually work up from 2 weeks to 4 over years. By combining that with holiday periods, one can stretch it to 5 weeks.

Old 08-16-2013, 12:40 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
So if the USA is a rich country why don't your young travel, fear of the unknown ?
The US is only faking being a rich country.

Old 08-16-2013, 02:50 PM

4,432 posts, read 6,985,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
You get a lot of Canadians in New Zealand? Well, that's interesting.
Well it largely because of the Commonwealth ties. It the same case as for Australia as well.

Old 08-16-2013, 02:56 PM

10,060 posts, read 12,813,278 times
It costs lots of $$$ to travel overseas, even if you are a fitness buff who can backpack hundreds of miles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas