Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2014, 05:46 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,346,714 times

Advertisements

I have been watching the World Cup and have noted that the locals are very much like Americans in a big city. It seems every ethnicity is represented and there is a lot of racial bends.

Is racial bending the way of the future?

Will racial blending finally end racism in the world?

Which country is ahead in racial blending? Brazil or the USA?

Old 07-08-2014, 06:53 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,543,481 times
Brazil and South Africa are excellent examples of the fact that racial blending has nothing to do with ending apartheid. All it did in both societies is to create a blended group who also feel superior to less mixed blacks.

Old 07-08-2014, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaSun1 View Post
You have never been to Brazil. It is one of the most racist and segregated places I have ever been. 50% of the population is white and 50% is some form of mixed race or black and of those mixed race people, the lighter the skin the more important they feel. All the models are white looking because they are mostly European and no blacks are on TV. Everyone has this wonderful notion that Brazil is a country that we should all strive to be like but those who have been know the truth.
I had the notion that racial mixing would end racism. If everyone is a blend then racism becomes moot. But, perhaps you are correct!

Old 07-08-2014, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
I had the notion that racial mixing would end racism. If everyone is a blend then racism becomes moot. But, perhaps you are correct!

The thing is that all blended people don't look alike. Those who look more like the group which is despised will still be despised. Brazil is a nation where one can argue that maybe 80% of the population is already mixed, and yet clearly there are problems.

Old 07-08-2014, 10:11 PM

728 posts, read 975,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
Brazil and South Africa are excellent examples of the fact that racial blending has nothing to do with ending apartheid. All it did in both societies is to create a blended group who also feel superior to less mixed blacks.
DR is too.

Old 07-09-2014, 12:15 AM

10,108 posts, read 14,980,095 times
Quote:
Is racial bending the way of the future?
No, most countries are not very diverse and they are not receiving large numbers of immigrants; but a handful of countries, USA included, certainly seem to be heading that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658
Will racial blending finally end racism in the world?
Here is a map based on a globally done study regarding racism. Brazil is among the least racist countries based on the number of people that said they wouldn't like a person of a different race moving next to them.

By the way, India is one of the most diverse countries on the planet.

Map shows world's most racist countries (and the answers may surprise you) | Mail Online

From the article:

Quote:
THE MOST TOLERANT COUNTRIES
0 to 4.9%
United States, Canada, Brazil, Argentina, Colombia, Guatemala, Britain, Sweden, Norway, Latvia, Australia, New Zealand

5 - 9.9%
Chile, Peru, Mexico, Spain, Germany, Belgium, Belarus, Croatia, Japan, Pakistan, South Africa

10 - 14.9%
Finland, Poland, Ukraine, Italy, Greece, Czech Republic, Slovakia

15 - 19.9%
Venezuela, Hungary, Serbia, Romania, Macedonia, Ethiopia, Uganda, Tanzania, Zimbabwe, Russia, Chin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658
Which country is ahead in racial blending? Brazil or the USA?
Definitely Brazil. The USA has pockets of diversity and where racial mixing is becoming the norm, but these places are mostly the larger cities and select suburbs in their metro areas.

In the following link you will see the states with the greatest number of mixed race people.

Census: More in U.S. Identify as Mixed Race - NationalJournal.com

Last edited by AntonioR; 07-09-2014 at 12:24 AM..

Old 07-09-2014, 06:10 AM

Quote:
The thing is that all blended people don't look alike. Those who look more like the group which is despised will still be despised. Brazil is a nation where one can argue that maybe 80% of the population is already mixed, and yet clearly there are problems.
If racial blending does not end racism then nothing will. I guess we are dealing with a defect of the human condition that probably has to do with something else other than appearance.

I will say that racial blending over a short time likely produces a lot of variation in appearance, however, blending over thousands of years likely leads to a phenotype that become very similar from person to person. In other words another group forms. In reality there are only three distinct groups, Asian, European, and African. Everything else is predominantly the result of blending.

By observation I have learned that children are not naturally racists. This is a learned behavior and perhaps working with kids may be a way to eliminate racism. But, a lot of people may still be discriminated by social status.

I am told that most blacks folks in the DR do not know they are black. And who knows! Maybe lack of concern with race is the way to go.

Old 07-09-2014, 11:08 PM

Quote:

I am told that most blacks folks in the DR do not know they are black. And who knows! Maybe lack of concern with race is the way to go.

I don't know whether most blacks know whether they are black or not in the DR as I don't know ho you define black.

What I do know in the DR is that the lighter one is the more favorable one is viewed and that the darkest people are vilified as "Haitians".

Sorry I don't buy that mixing ends racism unless it deals with the fact that people from some groups in some societies end up stigmatized.

Old 07-10-2014, 06:13 AM

Quote:
I don't know whether most blacks know whether they are black or not in the DR as I don't know ho you define black.

What I do know in the DR is that the lighter one is the more favorable one is viewed and that the darkest people are vilified as "Haitians".

Sorry I don't buy that mixing ends racism unless it deals with the fact that people from some groups in some societies end up stigmatized.
If a single race world does not end racism then NOTHING will.

Old 07-10-2014, 07:34 AM

4,927 posts, read 5,317,347 times
Quote:
If racial blending does not end racism then nothing will. I guess we are dealing with a defect of the human condition that probably has to do with something else other than appearance.

I will say that racial blending over a short time likely produces a lot of variation in appearance, however, blending over thousands of years likely leads to a phenotype that become very similar from person to person. In other words another group forms. In reality there are only three distinct groups, Asian, European, and African. Everything else is predominantly the result of blending.

By observation I have learned that children are not naturally racists. This is a learned behavior and perhaps working with kids may be a way to eliminate racism. But, a lot of people may still be discriminated by social status.

I don't think anyone can deny that racism exists (anywhere) but in regards to it having "to do with something other than appearance", yes I agree. I think perhaps it can be related to the inequalities in the arenas of economics, education, crime, opportunities lost (or in some cases, not taken), and an 'alternative lifestyle' culture, and of course as you point out, the sum of its parts...social status.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas