Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2014, 09:21 PM

3,425 posts, read 6,310,013 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Is it just me, or do I seldom hear of people retiring in BRAZIL?

I'd personally WAY prefer it to other popular countries like Panama or Costa Rica. Is it simply because of the distance?

I'm half expecting people to say because of the violence. But, much like the U.S. cities, its really only the larger Brazilian cities, that would have that issue. Much of the country is quite free of that.

With all that coastline as well, it seems like it wouldn't be hard to find something near a beach, and it seems like again with that much beach, it wouldn't be easy for a ton of people to descend on it, and raise the prices.

Anyone look into this before with Brazil?

My parents are now semi-retired, spending about half of their time here in the USA and half in Brazil.

You don't even understand the challenges they faced trying to build a home there. People who say they are going to show up at a certain time, never show up, don't even call, people trying to rip you off, etc

The whole idea that small towns in Brazil are safe is an illusion. They live in a town of 2000 people in the state of Rio Grande do Norte, about one hour from Natal and they got robbed 2 years ago, my mother was hosting 10 people and 4 thugs walked in with guns and took everything- this was like in the middle of the day.

Since then, their dogs have been poisoned, so they had to build a very tall fence around the house, now they have a CCTV security camera system and 3 Rottweilers.

Police? Forget about it! If something like this happens, you are on your own.

I have a brother who lives in Praia da Pipa which is supposed to be one of the best beach towns in Brazil and they have a huge crime problem there. Crack cocaine is probably the #1 reason for so much crime in small towns in Brazil.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2014, 11:13 PM

16,259 posts, read 43,201,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdr22 View Post
That could be it or maybe medical care, retirees always seem concerned about that but I have never heard anything about it being bad or hard to get there so IDK
Brazil has free and universal health care...so that couldn't be it.

I heard it's such an attraction, they are turning away retirees who are chronically sick and looking for that.

Old 10-08-2014, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Brazil has free and universal health care...so that couldn't be it.

I heard it's such an attraction, they are turning away retirees who are chronically sick and looking for that.
Tiger, I like your posts but now you are sounding a bit naive. "Free and universal" health care in Brazil is total CRAP. I come from a middle class family and I have never been to a public hospital in Brazil in my life.

My parents always had to have private coverage because the "free and universal" health care is so bad and unreliable that people literally die while waiting for care.

Honestly, the vast majority of people who are treated through SUS are the very poor because they simply don't have any other options.

Just picturing an American person standing in line for 4 hours to get admitted into a crumbling hospital is almost comic.

Old 10-08-2014, 08:25 AM

1,394 posts, read 2,248,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
Tiger, I like your posts but now you are sounding a bit naive. "Free and universal" health care in Brazil is total CRAP. I come from a middle class family and I have never been to a public hospital in Brazil in my life.

My parents always had to have private coverage because the "free and universal" health care is so bad and unreliable that people literally die while waiting for care.

Honestly, the vast majority of people who are treated through SUS are the very poor because they simply don't have any other options.

Just picturing an American person standing in line for 4 hours to get admitted into a crumbling hospital is almost comic.
AHHH......very well put....sounds like you've been to a public hospital in latin-america then?

Free and public healthcare here in Argentina is horrendous....I've already shared my experiences here on other threads about Argentinas "glorious" and "wonderful" state provided health care....LOL

Most people in the US that spout this mindless dribble....free healthcare and the like.

1.) They are foolish and naive...

2.) They've never been outside of the US.

3.) There's no such "thing" as free health care.....somebody's always paying for it......so we need to move away from the worthless "entitlement" mentality....

My wife and I, we belong to a private "community" hospital here, as most middle class and upper class folks do also. It's expensive but worth it....and actually the private healthcare co-ops and hospitals here ARE very good. It's usually folks at the bottom that use the state-run stuff. The vast majority of you, if you were to visit a state run hospital here in Argentina....you'd run away as fast as you can with your tail between your legs crying "mommy" LOL

Even so, having said that "some" of the doctors at the state run hospitals here are good though...but the environment? let's put it this way: If you are avers to filth and appearances? You'll not want to be there LOL

Old 10-08-2014, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricOldTime View Post
Most people in the US that spout this mindless dribble....free healthcare and the like.

1.) They are foolish and naive...

2.) They've never been outside of the US.
Well, I don't want to make this thread into a American political debate.

But, I've lived in Asia a very long time, and the healthcare here is so cheap, it is practically free. (15 years of my life was in Japan and South Korea).

I think there are other systems in place in the U.S. that make it expensive. One, the pharmaucetical industry, two the extremely high pay to any and all health professionals, and three, the lawyer/suing culture...all three make a perfect storm for extremely expensive healthcare in the U.S.

I'm not saying I want free healthcare, but outside of the U.S., you can find very effecient and effective healthcare at very reasonable prices...and yeah, Japan and South Korea are the ones I've had an enormous amount of experience with, way more than my country of birth and my childhood, in the U.S.

That is perhaps for another thread. But regardless of the politics involved, there are Americans who are stuck in an incredibly expensive system, who would go to other countries for healthcare issues/concerns. I'm not one of them, but they certainly do exist, and I think in sizable numbers.

I did have one hospital experience in Venezuela, and it was extremely unsanitary and inefficient. However, I think that's because of the culture of Latin America in general. It's a completely different experience in Northeast Asia, and the costs are still quite minimal.

Last edited by Tiger Beer; 10-08-2014 at 09:48 AM..

Old 10-08-2014, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Well, I don't want to make this thread into a American political debate.

But, I've lived in Asia a very long time, and the healthcare here is so cheap, it is practically free. (15 years of my life was in Japan and South Korea).

I think there are other systems in place in the U.S. that make it expensive. One, the pharmaucetical industry, two the extremely high pay to any and all health professionals, and three, the lawyer/suing culture...all three make a perfect storm for extremely expensive healthcare in the U.S.

I'm not saying I want free healthcare, but outside of the U.S., you can find very effecient and effective healthcare at very reasonable prices...and yeah, Japan and South Korea are the ones I've had an enormous amount of experience with, way more than my country of birth and my childhood, in the U.S.

That is perhaps for another thread. But regardless of the politics involved, there are Americans who are stuck in an incredibly expensive system, who would go to other countries for healthcare issues/concerns. I'm not one of them, but they certainly do exist, and I think in sizable numbers.

I did have one hospital experience in Venezuela, and it was extremely unsanitary and inefficient. However, I think that's because of the culture of Latin America in general. It's a completely different experience in Northeast Asia, and the costs are still quite minimal.
Good because I don't want to either..

I realize the healthcare system in the U.S. has problems....nobody disagrees with that. But I don't think "trading one extreme" for the other is the right response. Gov't should not cand "can't" control the healthcare system. It needs to be privatized and stay privatized.
I don't know exactly what the response should be, but I do know that putting control of the healthcare system into the hands of the gov't is recipe for disaster..

Anyways...I digress.....you're right, that's an issue for another thread...

Old 10-08-2014, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricOldTime View Post
AHHH......very well put....sounds like you've been to a public hospital in latin-america then?
I have never been to a public hospital in Brazil in my life but if you watch the news in Brazil, everyday you hear about hospitals running out of supplies, week long wait lists and people dying while waiting for care.

I wish these were isolated incidents but they are NOT. Last time I went to Brazil with my stepfather who is from Germany, we went to a private clinic to get a check up and the whole thing cost equivalent to 100 dollars.

Obviously, if you are coming from the USA, that is not a lot but the minimum wage in Brazil is about 300 dollars, so poor people could never afford private health insurance.

Old 10-08-2014, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
I have never been to a public hospital in Brazil in my life but if you watch the news in Brazil, everyday you hear about hospitals running out of supplies, week long wait lists and people dying while waiting for care.

I wish these were isolated incidents but they are NOT. Last time I went to Brazil with my stepfather who is from Germany, we went to a private clinic to get a check up and the whole thing cost equivalent to 100 dollars.

Obviously, if you are coming from the USA, that is not a lot but the minimum wage in Brazil is about 300 dollars, so poor people could never afford private health insurance.
I will say one thing: "You can get good cheap dental work here in Argentina" Even do "walk-ins" in some places... And the service and attention is actually pretty good.

Old 10-09-2014, 09:05 AM

This might be a reason:

A tourist visa permits a maximum stay of 180 days per year (6 months)

I don't know if that has changed since years ago. I knew it applied when I was in Brazil back in the late 1990s. Being that I continue to hear that work visas are nearly impossible to obtain, it might also be the case that retirement or more longer-term visas may equally be problematic?

Anyone else can verify this is still true?

Old 10-09-2014, 09:10 AM

Quote:
This might be a reason:

A tourist visa permits a maximum stay of 180 days per year (6 months)

I don't know if that has changed since years ago. I knew it applied when I was in Brazil back in the late 1990s. Being that I continue to hear that work visas are nearly impossible to obtain, it might also be the case that retirement or more longer-term visas may equally be problematic?

Anyone else can verify this is still true?
I didn't have to pay anything to get in when I crossed over with our cab driver to "Uruguayana" LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas