Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2014, 12:33 PM

3 posts, read 3,757 times

Advertisements

Out of all the Brazilian states, these two interest me the most. Rio Grande do Sul looks really cool and I like the proximity of it to Uruguay and Argentina. Parana looks nice too and the multi-cultural aspect it has appeals to me a lot. What do you guys think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2014, 06:04 PM

1,212 posts, read 1,435,057 times
There are others more interesting, in my opinion, but Paraná has a nice capital, the Iguaçu Falls - that is absolutely amazing - and very nice cities like Maringa, specially.
Rio Grande do Sul has very pleasant cities like Canela, a capital that is not so pretty but the people... absolutely beautiful.
I've lived in Porto Alegre for 4 years.

Old 11-28-2014, 07:39 AM

1,394 posts, read 2,248,335 times
I went to Uruguayana Brazil in 2008...

Old 11-28-2014, 09:43 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,201,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revan24 View Post
Out of all the Brazilian states, these two interest me the most. Rio Grande do Sul looks really cool and I like the proximity of it to Uruguay and Argentina. Parana looks nice too and the multi-cultural aspect it has appeals to me a lot. What do you guys think?
What's the attraction to Uruguay and Argentina? If the attraction is a strong attraction, than it seems better to move to one of those?

For me, I love Brazil, so being on the border like that, seems less Brazilian, and more hybrid.

Old 11-28-2014, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
What's the attraction to Uruguay and Argentina? If the attraction is a strong attraction, than it seems better to move to one of those?

For me, I love Brazil, so being on the border like that, seems less Brazilian, and more hybrid.
Those border areas there where Uruguay, Brazil and Argentina meet are VERY rural....not a whol lot there except for small villages and a few mid sized cities....it's kinda off the beaten path.

Old 11-28-2014, 12:29 PM

3,282 posts, read 3,794,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricOldTime View Post
Those border areas there where Uruguay, Brazil and Argentina meet are VERY rural....not a whol lot there except for small villages and a few mid sized cities....it's kinda off the beaten path.
yeah there is nothing romantic about these places- my husband's family lives here(border of Uruguay/Brazil) and it is soooo boring. It is torture to stay there for more than a few days. lol

Old 11-28-2014, 02:07 PM

3 posts, read 3,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosa surf View Post
yeah there is nothing romantic about these places- my husband's family lives here(border of Uruguay/Brazil) and it is soooo boring. It is torture to stay there for more than a few days. lol

I prefer rural areas lol.

Old 11-28-2014, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revan24 View Post
I prefer rural areas lol.
Well I like rural areas, but after a while it does get old and it also depends on the weather. It is VERY hot in RGDS during the summer and the sun goes down really late (like 9 pm), making the days longer. There is no air-conditioning, and it is too hot to be inside and too hot to be outside. You can't even walk around because it is too hot. In the winter it is really cold. its kind of torture. lol

If you like rural areas, maybe go to the small cities/towns that have a strong gaucho farmer culture. They do rodeos certain times of the year.

Old 12-01-2014, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosa surf View Post
Well I like rural areas, but after a while it does get old and it also depends on the weather. It is VERY hot in RGDS during the summer and the sun goes down really late (like 9 pm), making the days longer. There is no air-conditioning, and it is too hot to be inside and too hot to be outside. You can't even walk around because it is too hot. In the winter it is really cold. its kind of torture. lol

If you like rural areas, maybe go to the small cities/towns that have a strong gaucho farmer culture. They do rodeos certain times of the year.

I can 2nd what Rosa said, from what I've heard. When I was there, it was July ( deep winter ) and it was cool at night, you had to have a light coat or sweater, yet during the day, almost springlike. If I had to find a US climate comparable with this area I'd have to say the Gulf Coast of the US?

Plus you may be painting a mental picture of what constitutes "rural" in the US and what is "rural" for this area or areas like this.

Rural for these areas means, dirt roads, VERY little amenities, maybe electricity, maybe not. Nearest gas station? More than likely definately no internet ( unless it's a small town with an internet cafe ) No fast food, restaurants or cafes could be few and far between. The nearest town with a supermarket could be 20 to 30 kilometeres or more and if you only have a public bus that passes through your little village once every hour or 2 hours, it quickly becomes very inconvenient. Cinemas? Everything could be far away....

The average american would have difficulty with this lack of convenience.

Old 12-02-2014, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricOldTime View Post
I can 2nd what Rosa said, from what I've heard. When I was there, it was July ( deep winter ) and it was cool at night, you had to have a light coat or sweater, yet during the day, almost springlike. If I had to find a US climate comparable with this area I'd have to say the Gulf Coast of the US?

Plus you may be painting a mental picture of what constitutes "rural" in the US and what is "rural" for this area or areas like this.

Rural for these areas means, dirt roads, VERY little amenities, maybe electricity, maybe not. Nearest gas station? More than likely definately no internet ( unless it's a small town with an internet cafe ) No fast food, restaurants or cafes could be few and far between. The nearest town with a supermarket could be 20 to 30 kilometeres or more and if you only have a public bus that passes through your little village once every hour or 2 hours, it quickly becomes very inconvenient. Cinemas? Everything could be far away....

The average american would have difficulty with this lack of convenience.
Sometimes we romanticize areas because we are far away, have images in our heads of how places will look. I was very excited to visit this part of Rio Grande do Sul. However, once I was there, I also realized why my husband and ALL of his brothers, sisters, nieces, etc...left to find a better life in bigger Brazilian cities or abroad. There are little to no opportunities there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas