Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2016, 05:54 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,726,194 times

Advertisements

Every time I go to a concert of a Spanish speaking artist in Canada or the USA the artist always seem to call out to the crowd asking is there anyone here from ex Columbia, Mexico, Cuba, Panama and on and on until they hit just about every Country in Latin America. Also on a funny note people always tend to bring flags from their country to wave lol. Do Spanish speaking artists do this when in Latin American countries too? Ex if an artist from Columbia is doing a concert in Mexico would they also do this? In the last year I have seen Juan Luis Guerra, Daddy Yankee, Calle 13, Romeo Santos, Fito Blanko, Marc Anthony, Carlos Vives, Ricky Martin and a bunch of other people I can't recall off hand, but without fail at each concert they play the nationality game. I do not notice this happening at any of the other concerts I go to and was just curious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2016, 06:44 PM

15,063 posts, read 6,175,095 times
Well, my guess is that it would depend on whether the event or area has drawn people from all over Latin America, similar to in the U.S. or Canada. To me, the nationality calls are all in love and good fun.

West Indians do this at fetes and Carnivals in the U.S., Canada etc. It is also done at Carnivals in the Caribbean/West Indies, particularly the bigger ones, such as Trinidad. People bring their flags and all the countries get called. This has been going on for a long time.

Old 02-15-2016, 07:00 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,726,194 times
LOL. It could be me. Maybe I have been going to too many Latin events in my city and not as many West Indian Events. I know at the Caribbean Carnival in Toronto most people (including the people I go with and myself) bring or buy something to identify which Island they are from, but I thought that was sort of a West Indian thing ... ex if you are going to jump and wave ... best have something interesting to wave instead of just your hand lol !

Then again I do notice at Salsa on St. Clair (A Latin Street Festival) and at Calle Ocho in Miami people also tend to wear something identifying where they or their family is from. I bought a whole bunch of Trini gear for the Pam Am games last year and I was gladly sporting that when out at events last summer (people kept thinking I was a tourist lol... it was kind of funny :P!). In Toronto most people or their family were not born in Toronto so I get it sort of a bring proud of your heritage thing, but I know this is not the norm when I go to other types of concerts ex Rock, pop, hip hop etc.

Old 02-22-2016, 10:15 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,244,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
Every time I go to a concert of a Spanish speaking artist in Canada or the USA the artist always seem to call out to the crowd asking is there anyone here from ex Columbia, Mexico, Cuba, Panama and on and on until they hit just about every Country in Latin America. Also on a funny note people always tend to bring flags from their country to wave lol. Do Spanish speaking artists do this when in Latin American countries too? Ex if an artist from Columbia is doing a concert in Mexico would they also do this? In the last year I have seen Juan Luis Guerra, Daddy Yankee, Calle 13, Romeo Santos, Fito Blanko, Marc Anthony, Carlos Vives, Ricky Martin and a bunch of other people I can't recall off hand, but without fail at each concert they play the nationality game. I do not notice this happening at any of the other concerts I go to and was just curious.
lol it's pretty common. It's an easy way to get crowd involved although it is a cliche at this point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas