Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2016, 11:43 AM

30,355 posts, read 19,128,594 times

Advertisements

I hope they're a success but I'm doubtful it will be. The biggest problem is zika but also the rampant crime. When I worked in Suda America, I was advised not to go to Rio due to crime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2016, 10:00 AM

1,212 posts, read 1,432,703 times
Curious that you don't see NYT suggesting the closure of parks in Orlando, where dozens of people are killed in sacrifice to "redeem" a gay guy, children are swallowed by alligators in resorts, hotel apartments are invaded by thieves to stole the stuff bought in International Drive, etc

"Suda America" is really s-a-f-e compared to Rio.....

Old 06-24-2016, 10:30 AM

6,750 posts, read 5,719,822 times
Default What is it like to be in Brazil right now???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Falcon View Post
Curious that you don't see NYT suggesting the closure of parks in Orlando, where dozens of people are killed in sacrifice to "redeem" a gay guy, children are swallowed by alligators in resorts, hotel apartments are invaded by thieves to stole the stuff bought in International Drive, etc

"Suda America" is really s-a-f-e compared to Rio.....
Mr.Falcon what is it like to be in Brazil right now as the games are coming up? Is there lots of excitement and antiipation about the games from local people? Are there lots of public event announcement ex has the torche starting to travel through the country? Honestly people in Toronto were sort of who cares about the Pam Am game and crying about security spending and the committee going over budget ... but honestly it was an amazing summer and everything went off better than most people expected. It was really cool seeing the torch move through my city. To my surprise it pass by right where I lived. By the end I think I ended up doing something related to the Pam Am games (from free to paid events) almost every day for a week before all the way until the games. I would be 100% in support of something like this going on in my city again.

It was also really cool seeing people from all over the Americas out supporting their teams and enjoying the experience. Despite the complaining from many locale people I saw so many people in my city going out of their way to help people visiting for the games be get arond the city. It was a great time from start to end and I am not even really in to sports that much. I hope the experience is enjoyed in Brazil. If anything I am super jealous that I can't go, but will 100% be trying to watch the opening and closing ceremonies. These types of big productions do not happen every day and I really think people should stop complaining and help make the best of the situation because the show has to go on no matter what!

I think if Brazil can pull off such am amazing carnivals each year that the world will be in for a great time !

Old 06-24-2016, 11:02 AM

Brazil has strong regional rivalries, people in São Paulo will tell you lots of bad things. But it's not just because of the Olympics, it's always like this.

In Rio people are not enthusiastic nor antipathetic. We all know that we lost the opportunity to have a huge propaganda and this season when most of the first world is on vacation the city could be thriving, but is empty.

The Olympiads are going to bring some business and money but a lot less than it could have made.
Some people fall into these stories about the Olympiads interfering on public finances but it's necessary just a little information to realize that this economic chaos we're living there's nothing to do with it.

Old 06-24-2016, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
The biggest problem is zika but also the rampant crime.
Athletes seem to worry a lot about it

Golfer who gave up to compete in the Rio-2016 for fear of zika vacationed in infected country

The Northern Irish golfer Rory McIlroy, put the world ranking fourth, disappoint his fans on Wednesday to announce the decision not to compete in the Olympic Games in Rio in August. "Even if the risk of contamination by zika virus is considered low, it is still a risk not want to take," claimed the star mode.

Interestingly, however, exactly two months, McIlroy vacationed with his girlfriend in Barbados, and did not care about the zika outbreak there.
In April, 27-year-old was with his girlfriend Erica Stoll enjoying a period of rest in heavenly Sandy Lane Hotel in Barbados, the Central American country where they diagnosed cases of infection of the virus zika - three pregnant were infected, according to reports the local press. The United States, for example, give Barbados the warning number 2 precaution to tourists, the same level given to Brazil.
Golfista que desistiu da Rio-2016 por medo de zika passou férias em país infectado | Esporte | Notícias | VEJA.com

Old 06-24-2016, 03:05 PM

Lightbulb Zika...

Quote:
Athletes seem to worry a lot about it

Golfer who gave up to compete in the Rio-2016 for fear of zika vacationed in infected country

The Northern Irish golfer Rory McIlroy, put the world ranking fourth, disappoint his fans on Wednesday to announce the decision not to compete in the Olympic Games in Rio in August. "Even if the risk of contamination by zika virus is considered low, it is still a risk not want to take," claimed the star mode.

Interestingly, however, exactly two months, McIlroy vacationed with his girlfriend in Barbados, and did not care about the zika outbreak there.
In April, 27-year-old was with his girlfriend Erica Stoll enjoying a period of rest in heavenly Sandy Lane Hotel in Barbados, the Central American country where they diagnosed cases of infection of the virus zika - three pregnant were infected, according to reports the local press. The United States, for example, give Barbados the warning number 2 precaution to tourists, the same level given to Brazil.
Golfista que desistiu da Rio-2016 por medo de zika passou férias em país infectado | Esporte | Notícias | VEJA.com
That is actually really dumb on his part. I can not imagine being a professional athelete and giving up my change to compete in the Olympics over something this basic especially a male athelete. Not much of a chance he is going to give birth to a baby any time soon. I question if in this case these athlete is using Zika as an excuse... ex maybe he realized he was going to rank poorly and opted to use this as an excuse sp he did not formally lose.

Old 06-24-2016, 04:36 PM

Actually in July Golf is gonna have millionaire championships, so he didn't want to come for "just" medals in Olympiads.

Old 06-24-2016, 04:39 PM

Default ... poor excuse...

Quote:
Actually in July Golf is gonna have millionaire championships, so he didn't want to come for "just" medals in Olympiads.
Well his loss then. I am sure other's attending won't be upset about one less person being involved in the event.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas