Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2016, 11:51 AM

990 posts, read 881,658 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
I've lived in 5 continents and spent most of the last 15 years in mostly 3rd worldish countries and my South American friends all warned me against going to Rio....if I were to believe the Brazilian claim (and I currently do not), Americans did $50 worth of damage to a door and paid over $11,000 in damages at gunpoint...to me, that's robbery.

Speak the truth man. They paid only $300 to repair what they broke in gas station.
The $11.000 (R$35.000) they have to pay as penalty because the false complaint to the Rio de Janeiro Police force and they have never been jailed in Brazil they are all the time in their hotel, drinking caipirinhas in front the beach.
And it is the law in Brazil, and this money is paid by bill direct to the account funds of Brazilian tax authorities (Receita Federal)… Nothing of corruption or bribery from policeman how are you speaking, all in the law.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2016, 11:59 AM

611 posts, read 281,278 times
Quote:
I've lived in 5 continents and spent most of the last 15 years in mostly 3rd worldish countries and my South American friends all warned me against going to Rio....if I were to believe the Brazilian claim (and I currently do not), Americans did $50 worth of damage to a door and paid over $11,000 in damages at gunpoint...to me, that's robbery.
Wow! Gringos carrying around 11k$...I need to go catch me one of those. Now if you could just get Russia involved somehow, Hillery's HC - House of Corruption would surely lull us to sleep as the rest of us are robbed by the corporation peoples with revolving doors that can't be touched tossing around bribe money and calling it free speech. Money talks and if all you can spit out is quarters..."I can't hear you."

How many doors we kick down in Iraq? Ain't we the greats. Why did we do that again please? I think all the rest of the world don't believe you. Thanks for all the rumors about Rio and everything else you seem to be stringing lopsided together...doing whatever it takes to spin your rumors along with the opinion of we are always greater than you and always will be just because and will just blast you off the earth if we can't find a more subtle way of doing it.

You think Brazil is bad, what about all those bad American Indians that we had to destroy before we could go to Brazil and kick some doors off the hinges? America is not a good neighbor, just ask any Indian. How many useless treaties? However many it took until they could have things just the way they wanted. Kinda funny how corporate America always seems to always get everything she ever wanted. Free $peech they call it.

I'm disappointed in America and all our wars about everything under the sun and all the lies justifying everything until it doesn't matter and nobody cares about anything other than themselves.

Blame it all on Rio.

I vote we put a naked statue of Hillery beside that naked statue of Donald...then we could really decide who to vote for.

Old 08-19-2016, 12:09 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,541,995 times
Quote:
Brazilian laws are working great...51,000 murders last year in Brazil and the whole Justice system focuses on tracking down some Americans with money and shook them down for $11K....impressive. No different than Mexico would do in the same circumstance.

And what does this have to do with over privileged white American men acting like thugs in another country.

Were this Usain Bolt I bet it will be all about black criminality. And in fact the Brazilian authorities would have arrested him instead of their "boys will be boys" claims of the Rio organizer. They also have problems with over privileged white boys whose daddies rescue them when they act like thugs.

Last edited by caribny; 08-19-2016 at 12:48 PM..

Old 08-19-2016, 12:10 PM

2,452 posts, read 2,382,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler;45188842[B
]I've lived in 5 continents[/b] and spent most of the last 15 years in mostly 3rd worldish countries and my South American friends all warned me against going to Rio....if I were to believe the Brazilian claim (and I currently do not), Americans did $50 worth of damage to a door and paid over $11,000 in damages at gunpoint...to me, that's robbery.
I have done as much traveling as you have and i currently live in Sao Paulo but i go often to Rio for work. I dislike Rio for personal reasons but saying that the police was robbing them is going a bit too far. What happened was drunk guys doing what drunk people do...stupid ****. They just happen to be famous. You pay for what you do. Lying and making Rio look bad worldwide is serious. I am glad they are getting the story straight.

Old 08-19-2016, 12:12 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,896,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by auralmack View Post
You think Brazil is bad, what about all those bad American Indians that we had to destroy before we could go to Brazil and kick some doors off the hinges? America is not a good neighbor, just ask any Indian. How many useless treaties? However many it took until they could have things just the way they wanted. Kinda funny how corporate America always seems to always get everything she ever wanted. Free $peech they call it..
I'm confused, are we talking about the US here or Brazil...surely you know that colonial Brazil as well as the independent republic of Brazil has it's own issues with brutality against native americans (and slavery we might add - which did not end until a couple decades AFTER the US).

Old 08-19-2016, 12:15 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,541,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosa surf View Post
This doesn't apply to Americans- the 'poor boys' were drunk and didn't know what they were doing. It's the third world bullies that do things to them. Lol

Interestingly, if they had been Black Americans, they wouldn't get the same treatment or special excuses made for them.

As was said in The Root, Huffington and other sites, this is the definition of White Male Privilege. The notion that one can go to a foreign country, destroy property, make a false report about a crime, and defame a city, and there will be no consequences.

If Usain Bolt did that he would be in jail, and we would hear all about black criminality. And he is a much bigger character than those losers. Mention Usain Bolt and the whole world knows who he is.

This in fact is evidence that Brazil has no regard for people of color as this is the same country where many are shot down by cops in cold blood, for merely being in the wrong place. I note the "boys will boys having fun" comment by the Rio organizers. Bet if it was the mainly black US basket ball team his reaction would be very different.

Last edited by caribny; 08-19-2016 at 12:49 PM..

Old 08-20-2016, 04:21 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,753,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogoesthere View Post
So it would appear...if they did kick in the door, they should pay a fine to repair it...that is not a big deal in the scheme of things...but they tried to slander Brazil which has had to deal with people piling on about this and that when it comes to these Olympics...their alleged robbery was big news and the unravelling of that lie should also be big news...no one excused Brazil when the "robbery" happened (e.g. robberies happen everywhere), why excuse the swimmers actions?
Keep in mind the fake crime didn't only effect the Brazilian police who had to go into overtime to investigate a false situation that was being watched internationally, but it also affected the Olympic security who also had to increase the way they were doing security. All this because Adult representatives of the US decided to act like children and create a fake international incident.

Old 08-20-2016, 05:07 AM

30,373 posts, read 19,170,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EVANGELISTTI View Post
Speak the truth man. They paid only $300 to repair what they broke in gas station.
The $11.000 (R$35.000) they have to pay as penalty because the false complaint to the Rio de Janeiro Police force and they have never been jailed in Brazil they are all the time in their hotel, drinking caipirinhas in front the beach.
And it is the law in Brazil, and this money is paid by bill direct to the account funds of Brazilian tax authorities (Receita Federal)… Nothing of corruption or bribery from policeman how are you speaking, all in the law.
The truth is this was a shakedown that went bad. The guards at the gas station identified 4 white guys and trumped up a charge to get them to fork over money....then the Rio government decided they wanted some money too and went after the R$35,000....I see they are now wanting another R$100,000....they will keep going after the money until someone says no. This is all about Brazilians wanting American money....no more and no less.

Old 08-20-2016, 05:10 AM

30,373 posts, read 19,170,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by survivingearth View Post
I have done as much traveling as you have and i currently live in Sao Paulo but i go often to Rio for work. I dislike Rio for personal reasons but saying that the police was robbing them is going a bit too far. What happened was drunk guys doing what drunk people do...stupid ****. They just happen to be famous. You pay for what you do. Lying and making Rio look bad worldwide is serious. I am glad they are getting the story straight.
Their mistake was getting drunk in a 3rd world shte hole like Rio without local protection.

Old 08-20-2016, 06:22 AM

2,452 posts, read 2,382,164 times
Quote:
Their mistake was getting drunk in a 3rd world shte hole like Rio without local protection.
That, the rest is not worth responding.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas