Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2016, 09:27 AM

8,572 posts, read 8,546,952 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by survivingearth View Post
That, the rest is not worth responding.

This guy is out to lunch. By this time virtually every one is now admitting that these US swimmers were out of line. Noteworthy that the upstanding person, Phelps, wasn't part of their nonsense. Only the Rio organizer is claiming that an apology wasn't necessary as these guys were just having fun.

One cannot go to a foreign country, as a representative of your country, at a high profile event, behave lewdly and think that this behavior is OK.

These guys got off light. Had they been from some small country, or were the blacks from USA, Canada, or the UK the outcome would have been more dire.

So I don't know what this "Tall" person is carrying on about. I wonder if the drunkenness of the swimmers resulted in death or injury of an innocent person would they still be claiming unfair treatment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2016, 10:16 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,492,699 times
It is possible there is fault on both sides. The American swimmers should not have been partying and got drunk in the first place, the bathroom damage would never have occurred had the first mistake been made. I also agree that had it been a Black athlete you would hear few people defending them and if they didn't get gold in any event people would question if they were too busy partying.The Rio police probably did jump up the price to repair the damage when they realized it was done by wealthy Americans.

Old 08-20-2016, 11:12 AM

1,478 posts, read 789,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
It is possible there is fault on both sides. The American swimmers should not have been partying and got drunk in the first place, the bathroom damage would never have occurred had the first mistake been made. I also agree that had it been a Black athlete you would hear few people defending them and if they didn't get gold in any event people would question if they were too busy partying.The Rio police probably did jump up the price to repair the damage when they realized it was done by wealthy Americans.
Were the police or court ordered (if they were court ordered) fines for repairs for damages done to the gas station or were they fines for violations of laws in Rio de Janeiro?

I had a friend get out of Federal prison and ordered to a halfway house on--or around, I don't know the exact location--24th and Locust Street in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. He had to find entry level work. I think the place, for a room not an apartment, was charging 25 percent or 50 percent of each ex-cons income BEFORE taxes. While working 2 jobs, and he had to have pay deducted from both for rent, he was paying at times over $1,000 per month for a room in a Milwaukee ghetto. And they had curfew and a bunch of restrictions.

But I guess that makes American justice fair and the amount of the Rio fine makes Brazilian justice unfair?

Old 08-20-2016, 11:17 AM

1,478 posts, read 789,767 times
As a contextual and cultural note about the 24th and Locust area (grew up half my life over there because I had extended family over there) around were that halfway house is located.

Last summer I think it was they had a gun fight erupt between to houses facing each other across the street. Children in the home and some people wounded.

And my brother got shaken up pulling up to a stop light over there one day, and a grew of young men marching across the street in broad day light carrying assault rifles. LOL he sped across, running the red light. LOL.

Old 08-20-2016, 06:23 PM

3,994 posts, read 6,806,996 times
He who laughs last, laughs best.

Who were the liars in the end?

This thread is a fail from the very start.

Old 08-20-2016, 08:40 PM

30,418 posts, read 19,200,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalaMan View Post
He who laughs last, laughs best.

Who were the liars in the end?

This thread is a fail from the very start.
As is Brazil for shaking down $11,000 out of Americans for an alleged $50 damage and holding Americans hostage until they paid off the court in Brazil.

Old 08-20-2016, 08:48 PM

7,489 posts, read 4,961,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
The truth is this was a shakedown that went bad. The guards at the gas station identified 4 white guys and trumped up a charge to get them to fork over money....then the Rio government decided they wanted some money too and went after the R$35,000....I see they are now wanting another R$100,000....they will keep going after the money until someone says no. This is all about Brazilians wanting American money....no more and no less.
That's not what happened. Some drunk men from the US vandalized a door and got caught. They offered money to avoid dealing with the police, and cost for damages was accepted. The drunk men then lied to media and police, and created an international incident ... just a bunch of really stupid men.

They will suffer the consequences for lying to police - Amanda Knox can explain those pitfalls better than most. Perhaps the men prefer jail time to a hefty fine?

Old 08-20-2016, 08:58 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,772,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
As is Brazil for shaking down $11,000 out of Americans for an alleged $50 damage and holding Americans hostage until they paid off the court in Brazil.
Shake down? They could have chosen to go to court and deal with a trial. Worst case for everything they did would've been 3 years in prison for each one of them. Their country, their laws and not US laws.

#LochteGate: How Ryan Lochte and U.S. Swimmers May Be Subject to Brazilian Criminal Law | LawNewz

Old 08-20-2016, 09:07 PM

7,489 posts, read 4,961,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
Shake down? They could have chosen to go to court and deal with a trial. Worst case for everything they did would've been 3 years in prison for each one of them. Their country, their laws and not US laws.

#LochteGate: How Ryan Lochte and U.S. Swimmers May Be Subject to Brazilian Criminal Law | LawNewz
The most common mistake I've come across with people from the US travelling in a foreign country is that they simply do not understand that US law does not govern the world. They seem absolutely stunned to learn that "when in Rome, do as the Romans" applies to law and custom.

Old 08-20-2016, 10:30 PM

3,282 posts, read 3,797,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post
The most common mistake I've come across with people from the US travelling in a foreign country is that they simply do not understand that US law does not govern the world. They seem absolutely stunned to learn that "when in Rome, do as the Romans" applies to law and custom.
Yes, and they wiil not accept it- they will go on and about how 'in the States, things aren't done this way.' Well, you are not in the frieking US. I've had friends act like this on trips abroad and it was such a nuisance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas