Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2016, 10:52 PM

8,069 posts, read 6,970,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pueblofuerte View Post
I disagree that no media coverage has been given to the Wayuu plight in Colombia, even James Rodriguez runs a campaign "La Primera Gota"
Quote:
Originally Posted by joacocanal View Post
It's the same leftist bulls*** here, somehow, for some leftist Colombians, what Chavismo is doing in Venezuela is excusable because "there are children dying in Colombia", or "there is corruption in Colombia too, and it's not worth seeing the mote in your brother's eye...". The wayúu problem is one of the 5 things that has received the most media coverage in Colombia in the past year.
I didn't say it doesn't get any coverage in Colombia. Is reading comprehension not taught in Colombia? I was talking about international coverage.

MY post:
Quote:
. Most of the things we see in international news is political propaganda. I don't see anyone reporting here in the US how Colombia lets indigenous children die of hunger. Sure Colombia has such a good relationship with the US and Europe but in the end do Colombians see those benefits? Their children are dying. I know it happens because I watch Colombian news networks and they report these deaths almost every day.
I know what gets coverage in the US and Spain as I watch Spanish TV every day(Antena3 and RVTE) and also US channels (Telemundo, Fox and CNN) Don't tell me I'm wrong when you have no idea what I'm talking about.

And there is no reason why more than 4,000 children should be dying in a country like Colombia.

If telling the truth about Colombia makes me a Chavista, oh well too bad. I'm not gonna "tapar el sol con un dedo" You people shouldn't be speaking like Colombia is so above Venezuela, the fact is that the whole region is really screwed up and Colombia is only one election away from a messy government like Venezuela. Keep neglecting the poor, keep increasing income inequality, keep the corruption where oil companies make millions and people in those towns don't even have running water. That's how Venezuela elected Chavez. Colombia could end up in a worst situation because unlike Venezuela we don't have that much oil.

Last edited by Sugah Ray; 10-21-2016 at 11:35 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2016, 07:52 AM

4,096 posts, read 3,726,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugah Ray View Post
And there is no reason why more than 4,000 children should be dying in a country like Colombia.

If telling the truth about Colombia makes me a Chavista, oh well too bad. I'm not gonna "tapar el sol con un dedo" You people shouldn't be speaking like Colombia is so above Venezuela, the fact is that the whole region is really screwed up and Colombia is only one election away from a messy government like Venezuela. Keep neglecting the poor, keep increasing income inequality, keep the corruption where oil companies make millions and people in those towns don't even have running water. That's how Venezuela elected Chavez. Colombia could end up in a worst situation because unlike Venezuela we don't have that much oil.
Look at you getting all flustered - cute!

The number is more like 400, still awful but you should get your facts right. Even the Indigenous leaders of the organization Wayuu Shipia affirm that its around that number.

No-one is saying Colombia isn't corruption ridden but at least there's food in the supermarkets and referendums with international election monitors where there are political outlets for voices to be heard.

The Wayuu along with the law department in the Tadeo University of Bogota are bringing the case of the Wayuu to the inter-american court of human rights. OK so it shouldn't have to reach that level for the issue to be solved but one thing that can be said for Colombia is that the political elite do adhere to international law to save face unlike Venezuela. And yes life in Colombia is extremely better than life in Venezuela at the moment for the general populace. Your denial of that is outright stupidity.

Old 10-22-2016, 08:58 PM

1,212 posts, read 1,434,616 times
The economic crisis in Venezuela caused a mass exodus to Roraima. Immigrants are sleeping in the streets of Boa Vista and raiding homes of residents.
Dianaia moved to reform her house and was startled when he returned and found five Venezuelans.
"I asked for them to get out of the house because the house was going to be reformed. They said they had nowhere to go and they were unable to get out of here," said forest engineer Dianaia Lopes.
She only solved the situation a month later, with the help of a lawyer.
Aparecida was not so lucky. Her house is occupied today by Venezuelans.
"When I came here I got mad, I suddenly saw nine children and two couples in my house," said the autonomous Maria Aparecida Alves.
Venezuelans have come increasingly to Boa Vista in search of work and food. Venezuela is facing a serious economic crisis and lack the most basic products in the supermarket.
The government of Roraima says that 30,000 Venezuelans have crossed the border in 2016. But not yet calculated how many returned home and how many were there.
"This type of study is not quick to be done, we need to start the register of these Venezuelans, start counting and verifying what situation they are," said Doriedson Ribeiro, coordinator of the Integrated Office.
As there is no shelter for refugees in Roraima, who have nowhere to stay, just sleep on the street.

Jornal Nacional - Fugindo da crise, venezuelanos invadem casas em Roraima

Old 10-23-2016, 02:47 PM

881 posts, read 923,413 times
Quote:
I didn't say it doesn't get any coverage in Colombia. Is reading comprehension not taught in Colombia? I was talking about international coverage.

MY post:

I know what gets coverage in the US and Spain as I watch Spanish TV every day(Antena3 and RVTE) and also US channels (Telemundo, Fox and CNN) Don't tell me I'm wrong when you have no idea what I'm talking about.

Chavismo won't happen in Colombia or any other country just because it's a different country. Different political system, different political traditions... It already happened in Venezuela, it won' happen in any other country. The political process in other countries may have some similarities to Venezuela, but that's it.

Colombia doesn't have any oil at all, we need to find more, we only have proven reserves for 7 years more.

Poverty and unequality haven't increased in Colombia. Poverty has been steadily declining for many years. Unequality measured by Gini index has been falling every year since 2008.

The childhood situation of wayúus has many factors involved, not only corruption or "inequality", but environmental, cultural and other social issues.

Old 10-23-2016, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joacocanal View Post

Colombia doesn't have any oil at all, we need to find more, we only have proven reserves for 7 years more.
Where is Colombia gonna get energy from when it runs out of oil and natural gas? I really don't want to think about it.

I don't know, call me crazy but I think Colombia/Venezuela/Brazil need to find ways to become more self-sufficient. Get real leaders who know about economics and not some egocentric bus drivers or lifetime politicians who sleep with foreign interests. We also cannot be importing most of our food from places like the US. That puts these countries in very vulnerable situations.

I truly believe Venezuela will get rid of Maduro during the next election. It's only 17 months from now. The opposition idiots instead of wasting their time with referendum processes to remove Maduro, they need to start preparing for the next election. They will have the numbers, people are tired of the food shortages.

Old 10-24-2016, 02:19 AM

4,096 posts, read 3,726,557 times
Quote:
Where is Colombia gonna get energy from when it runs out of oil and natural gas? I really don't want to think about it.

I don't know, call me crazy but I think Colombia/Venezuela/Brazil need to find ways to become more self-sufficient. Get real leaders who know about economics and not some egocentric bus drivers or lifetime politicians who sleep with foreign interests. We also cannot be importing most of our food from places like the US. That puts these countries in very vulnerable situations.
1. Over 70% of Colombia's energy comes from renewables (mainly hydroelectric) with massive opportunities to expand into wind and solar. The GGEI ranked the country amongst the top 10 nations in the world in terms of greening efficiency sectors in 2014.

2. Santos has an MSE from the London School of Economics, arguably the most prestigious Uni in the world in that field. The Financial minister Mauricio Cardenas was given the accolade of Finance minister of the year in 2015. They may be lifetime politicians but they're educated to the highest standards.

People need to stop pointing the finger at politicians and look at themselves and their pathetic complaining lifestyles. - A massive cultural shift is required from tardiness to punctuality, from get rich quick practices to consistency and hard work, from sporadic emotion to measured heads, from sheep and cattle to creators and entrepreneurs, from blazeh rhetoric to adhering to your word, from classist nomenclature to work driven rewards, from lenient arrests to tough punitive and rehabilitative sentencing, from apathy to diligence and job pride. I'm sick to death of Colombians moaning the world over, the country is in a prime place to do something about everything - so just do it!

As for Venezuela I have no clue where to even start. A lifetime reliance on oil (95% of all exports) has left the country without innovation, without agriculture, without reputable education or basic industry and a reduced skill set; expecting everything to be handed to them with minimal effort. The poor were content with staying poor with their constant handouts and the middle classes just took complacency to the Nth degree. If Colombia needs a cultural shift, Venezuela needs divine intervention.

Last edited by Pueblofuerte; 10-24-2016 at 03:04 AM..

Old 10-24-2016, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pueblofuerte View Post
1. Over 70% of Colombia's energy comes from renewables (mainly hydroelectric) with massive opportunities to expand into wind and solar. The GGEI ranked the country amongst the top 10 nations in the world in terms of greening efficiency sectors in 2014.

2. Santos has an MSE from the London School of Economics, arguably the most prestigious Uni in the world in that field. The Financial minister Mauricio Cardenas was given the accolade of Finance minister of the year in 2015. They may be lifetime politicians but they're educated to the highest standards.

People need to stop pointing the finger at politicians and look at themselves and their pathetic complaining lifestyles. - A massive cultural shift is required from tardiness to punctuality, from get rich quick practices to consistency and hard work, from sporadic emotion to measured heads, from sheep and cattle to creators and entrepreneurs, from blazeh rhetoric to adhering to your word, from classist nomenclature to work driven rewards, from lenient arrests to tough punitive and rehabilitative sentencing, from apathy to diligence and job pride. I'm sick to death of Colombians moaning the world over, the country is in a prime place to do something about everything - so just do it!

As for Venezuela I have no clue where to even start. A lifetime reliance on oil (95% of all exports) has left the country without innovation, without agriculture, without reputable education or basic industry and a reduced skill set; expecting everything to be handed to them with minimal effort. The poor were content with staying poor with their constant handouts and the middle classes just took complacency to the Nth degree. If Colombia needs a cultural shift, Venezuela needs divine intervention.
1. Renewable energy is not gonna move the thousands of trucks and people that are needed to keep the economy going.

2. Claiming the reason Latin America has so much poverty is because most of the population is lazy and not punctual is troll territory. It seems to me you are not interested in discussing anything but you just want to troll and flame. I'm not falling for your nonsense.

3. Have a nice day, Irene

Old 10-25-2016, 01:52 PM

491 posts, read 753,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosa surf View Post
If you truly study the economics of that period in detail, it is a fallacy to attribute the economic stability all to Pinochet's government.
I studied macroeconomy for 2 years... anyway.

The red part of the line is during Pinochet's reign. (obviously up until 1990)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosa surf View Post
Also, his government disappeared innocent people and traumatized a generation of people, many having to flee to survive. Sounds wonderful.
Yeah, very innocent.... here are members from "MIR",

How about FPMR?

Non-political Chileans were not persecuted by the army. They had more important things to do.

What Pinochet did was to take control of the armed forces, fight communist activists (mainly militant), apply shock therapy to combat hyper inflation, provide goods for consumption, invest in infrastructure, abolish tolls, open up the economy and established free market, he also brought political stability and when the risk for Chile turning into another Zimbabwe/Cuba/Venezuela was over, he stepped down and democracy was restored.

And if you're still unconvinced... Allende (who was doing all in his might to transform Chile into Cuba), was not elected democratically, in fact, he had only received a third of the votes.

Without Pinochet, Chile would not have been a free, democratic country. Yeah, how about that for an oxymoron?

Last edited by MrPilot; 10-25-2016 at 02:11 PM..

Old 10-25-2016, 05:40 PM

Well about time... I actually know one of this chavistas who is living like a king here in the US. I always wondered why the US government never did anything to seize his assets

U.S. Said to Be Closing In on PDVSA-Linked Seizures, Charges - Bloomberg

Quote:
Federal prosecutors are preparing to charge several individuals and confiscate their property over the alleged looting of Venezuela’s state oil company in what may amount to one of the biggest asset seizures in U.S. history.
Three people familiar with the case say the government has been investigating at least a dozen Venezuelans and is expected to file charges in Houston against a few of them as soon as next month. Those on the list, including former executives of Petroleos de Venezuela SA, known as PDVSA, are suspected of having taken bribes from middlemen to award contracts at inflated prices, helping to siphon more than $11 billion out of the country.
And I live this part the banks as usual willful participants.
Quote:
The prosecutors have been tracking money that flowed through Citigroup Inc., JPMorgan Chase & Co. and Wells Fargo & Co., they added.

Money-laundering controls may not have caught transactions done through shell companies, they said.
Then there is this;
Quote:
The U.S. would seize homes and properties -- many of them worth tens of millions each -- as well as private jets and other assets to create a fund that would eventually be returned to the Venezuelan government after a democratic election, one of the people said.

Last edited by Sugah Ray; 10-25-2016 at 05:52 PM..

Old 10-26-2016, 09:59 AM

881 posts, read 923,413 times
Quote:
it won't run out, it's only a matter of finding more. For one, "we" have one million square kilometers in the sea for exploration.

Quote:
We also cannot be importing most of our food from places like the US.
Colombia produces 80-90% of its food.

Such is economy in a globalized World, countries commerce with each other offering products at a better price. No country could produce all the products it needs by itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPilot View Post
I studied macroeconomy for 2 years... anyway.

The red part of the line is during Pinochet's reign. (obviously up until 1990)
the map shows that Chilean economy stagnated during Pinochet regime... it was only when the country got rid of him that it was able to take off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas