Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2010, 08:46 AM

6,994 posts, read 12,738,798 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilkoot View Post
Yes, you really need to make a visit here first. Driving from Kenai to Girdwood is like driving from Ellensburg to Wenatchee over Blewett Pass. Also, the unemployment rate on the Kenai Peninsula can be high. It's a great place to live but you may be spending more on gas than you expect. I think it was $3.42/gallon for regular last I filled up.
gas in Kenai last week: $3.74.9 for regular.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2010, 10:06 AM

36 posts, read 67,412 times
TL551- that's why we are starting the planning process now, two years before the move. As for dark more than it is light, That's why our trucks have extra lights. I know you can't compare western washington to alaska by any sense, but it's where I have the majority of my expierence. Here we have HWY 2. reputed to be the most dangerous highway in the the lower 48. I work search and rescue on that highway when nobody else will go out of their homes. We have heavy, complete white out fog in the winters, 60 mph traffic, no center median, no shoulders, switchbacks, and fog you can't see through. On top of 3 am driving in the dark, usually on a sheet of ice, with no road lights of any kind. I'm not saying that it is anything like the alcan, but it's what I'm used to. It's not like we drive pavement princesses and the worst thing we've had to deal with is the nasty hills in downtown seattle. I do have a fair bit of practice driving in dangerous weather conditions on ice, when you can't see where you are going, and you have semi trucks coming at you at 60 MPH

We are intending to make a visit to the area, and hoping to visit in the winter so we can see for ourselves exactly what it is like. However, we can't change our mind on the move, so all we can do is hope to prepare as much as possible for it.

As far as the fuel cost, it's really not that much worse than it is here, and when we work out our monthly fuel budget we base it on $4.50 a gallon because I'd rather overbudget than underbudget. So by the looks of things, the fuel cost is still within what we are used to budgeting. If I remember correctly when I filled my tank last week it was 35 gallons at $3.25 per gallon. so $113.75. at $3.75 per gallon that would be a total of $131.25. So really only a difference of about $15 per tank. Fuel cost fluctuates by more than that here from one month to the next. Which is why we work our fuel budget at $4.50 a gallon, because as of yet, fuel hasn't actually reached that much here. it has gotten close, but not quite. Our trucks average 17-20 MPG depending on stop and go traffic, or highway traffic. (which is often still stop and go) so even with a less than 15 mile commute to work, our budget is still over $600 a month for fuel, even though we typically don't spend half of that. But since that is what we set aside for fuel every month, as long as costs don't go over that (or too much over that) it's not going to be too much of a "shell shock".

Like I said before with the rent amounts, before moving in with family when our lease expired, we were spending 1550 a month for a three bedroom house, with no garage, a small yard, and parking for 2 cars. The house right next door to where we are now, is up for rent, it's a 2 bedroom with a fairly large yard, RV parking, but still no garage, is 1400 a month. The average 4 bedroom house here with no garage and a medium size yard is about 1800 a month. add a garage and you add about 200 monthly. Even though the "outskirts" (where we currently live in lynnwood) there is some reasonable space between the homes, but you still have the big city traffic conditions. It's the traffic we want to get away from. We would like to be able to drive a 6 block distance faster than you can walk it, without hitting 4 red lights in the process. That's why I asked if there is anything between anchorage and Girdwood, to make a middle ground. we could still get to anchorage if needed, but we can also get to Girdwood. As I'm sure you all noticed, getting to the resort is imperative in the winter time, however, getting to Anchorage is a convienence. As long as I have internet access, I can do my job from anywhere, and being the primary breadwinner, that's the important one. So getting to Anchorage would just be for grocery shopping, etc. However if we know in advance that it is going to be inaccessible to us for a few months, we can make sure we stock up on the essentials before hand.

Old 08-17-2010, 11:00 AM

2,795 posts, read 5,616,843 times
Here's a suggestion: Live in the Valley (Palmer or Wasilla). It would be a shorter drive to Alyeska from here then from the Kenai/Soldotna area. There's plenty of housing available. The only down side would be that to get to Girdwood you'd have to drive through Anchorage. But at off-peak times, it's not too bad.

Wasilla, AK to Alyeska Resort - Google Maps

Between Anchorage and Girdwood there's a few neighborhoods, but I'm not sure about rental availability. Have you thought about working with a Realtor in finding a rental?

Old 08-17-2010, 11:06 AM

2,398 posts, read 3,835,211 times
I think you misunderstand southeast Anchorage. South of Dimond Blvd, aside from the major arterials such as O'Malley, Huffman and the Old Seward Highway there are little to no traffic lights and no real traffic to speak of. You really can't compare Lynwood's orange to Anchorage's apple. You need to see for it for yourself before you get too committed to one thing or another. Of course the Kenai/Soldotna/Sterling area is fine, though I prefer the coastal towns of Seward and Homer, it will be impractical for your stated objectives to be too far from steady employment for your fiancee and your daughter's training area. You can meet your goals cheaper and more fully with a broader view. I think you might be surprised what you have written off based upon google and maps somewhat like blind men inspecting an elephant.

There are a few tiny communities (such as they are) between Anchorage and Girdwood and while charming they are more expensive than either and unless you own the property, there will be no place to live. There are no schools between Anchorage and Girdwood so the kids would be bussed.

Someone really needs to come up here to get a look at things. BTW, big 4+ bedroom houses tend to sell cheaper per sft up here because almost no one has big families any more and the market can't command a high price for a large number of bedrooms. I don't know about the rental market because I haven't rented in years but I would surmise that there is a ceiling of what the rental market can bear and it won't be that much more (if not less in semi-rural environs) than you quoted in one of your previous posts. It's the close in and view houses that command a price up here.

The idea of Palmer or Wasilla is fine as well as Eagle River or Chugiak though you will need to drive through Anchorage to get to Girdwood. Good luck to you,

Old 08-17-2010, 12:41 PM

Default Thanks :)

At least I have a few community names to look for. we have been talking to a couple realtors about finding housing, but most of them don't really give us the time of day, because the move is still so far away, they tell us to come back when we are looking at about 6 months out (doh!)

it is hard to tell just "how far out" is "too far out" I'm not totally opposed to living in anchorage. but someone earlier made it sound like in the winter Girdwood might be virtually impossible to get to from there. .. (not so good ) I've been adding a trip up there for at least myself (if not the fiance too) this next winter into the budget. Just to see what it is like, and get a better feel for things.

It's good to know that the market isn't too vicious for the larger houses there. Big families are fairly uncommon here too, but for some reason everyone seems to think they need a 6 bedroom house for a family of 3... you know, den, office, media room, art studio, crafts room, etc. I don't personally understand that. I know I need an office to do my job... but the TV goes in the livingroom, with the game systems, and craft crap can go in a closet when it's not being used... it doesn't need it's own damn room... Maybe it's the invasion of all the californians that brought that trend, because I don't remember "needs" like that when I was a kid, and everett consisted of 1 stop light and 2 main roads, and lynnwood virtually didn't exist. One going north-south and one going east-west. Now it's a "booming metropolis" and the houses we all grew up in have been seized by some pocket lining beauracrat to be bulldozed and have apartments built on the lots . Maybe that's why all the natives have run further north to get away from all the invading cities and high rise skyscrapers.... (makes me sick)

Anyway, wandering off topic...

Old 08-17-2010, 07:06 PM

8,685 posts, read 16,853,247 times
You need to visit the Peninsula and Anchorage, come visit in the winter and drive in nasty weather (unless flying IFR and would not do unless extra training in AK...(hubby bought flying tapes and never flew up there). I would not put my family's life in danger flying from Kenai to Girdwood several days a week winter or summer, too many variables with even an experienced pilot in AK, and water/boat will not get you there. If you would settle in Copper Creek or Sterling, you can still get groceries...Soldotna has major stores...but as far as driving to Girdwood on a regular basis, be prepared for it not happening, even if you live in the outskirts of Anchorage. If the move is for your child to train, you probably need to make do with renting in Girdwood to get her there....

Old 08-17-2010, 08:05 PM

like I said before, I don't have an issue with moving to girdwood. We just need to find a place big enough for our family, as a 2 bedroom just wouldn't cut it for a family of 8. I am intending to visit in the winter. So i can drive in the nasty weather, get a feel for a winter in alaska, and make some decisions for myself. I'm not entirely set on the penninsula. Just wasn't really able to research much of the little communities solo. Driving is still going to be my primary mode of transportation, as I probably won't be getting my pilot license till just before we move, so unless the weather conditions are just perfect I wouldn't brave it myself.

Old 08-17-2010, 09:46 PM

376 posts, read 832,333 times
Please don't rule out Anchorage. I live in South Anchorage, I take the Seward Highway to Midtown to work when I am in town and not in the villages. It takes approximately 10 minutes to drive in the summer time and last winter I allowed 30 minutes. Anchorage is not a big city. Very few traffic jams. You just have to drive slower in the winter time and not expect to go break neck speed. You have to watch out for the other drivers more than anything.

Old 08-17-2010, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKStafford View Post
Let me recommend again that you make a trip up to preview things...
You will not be able to use a boat for transportation from Kenai to Girdwood. Flying would work, but it's incredibly weather dependent. I'd bet in the winter there would be about 30% of the time that it wouldn't be possible.
If you are still sure that the Peninsula is where you want to be, I'd suggest you look at Sterling or Soldotna. Maybe even Cooper Landing.
Seward Highway Winter Conditions Alaska
Snowy Road
Seward in Feb.

I just got a chance to check out these links... and from the look of the photos, it doesn't look any worse than the passes here in the winter that I'm used to. I'll see if I can find some good photos of it to put on here for comparison. I don't usually think to take photos here at home of stuff that I see all the time. but I should have a few.

Old 08-17-2010, 09:55 PM

Ok it's not a road shot. But believe it or not, this is about midday on a not too bad foggy day. visibility was about 100 feet. I know I have some road shots, just need to find them. This was the ski season at stevens pass 08-09. This photo was actually taken to show the new RFID gates (that actually didn't work so well through all the ski gear) but it works...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage