Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2010, 01:48 AM

167 posts, read 422,472 times

Advertisements

The fellow I tried the last time I was here did an OK job the first time. The second time he cut it, it was so short that I looked like Julius Caesar! I have been growing it out for 6 months and I can still only get a relatively short cut. I don't color or perm, just need a good cut. Any references?
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2010, 09:23 AM

3,381 posts, read 9,120,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD2AK&ME View Post
The fellow I tried the last time I was here did an OK job the first time. The second time he cut it, it was so short that I looked like Julius Caesar! I have been growing it out for 6 months and I can still only get a relatively short cut. I don't color or perm, just need a good cut. Any references?
Thanks
My DW and her friends like going to Hairplay by Colors over on Dimond Blvd. There's also a good salon called Tangles that is on the outside of Fred Meyers on Muldoon. Below is a little note regarding Hairplay by Colors...

The ONLY salon in Alaska selected by ELLE Magazine for “The Best Hair in America 2009”

Available in the August 2009 issue of ELLE Magazine.

Old 06-13-2010, 12:04 AM

29 posts, read 75,737 times
I have baby fine hair also and have been to Tangles in the Muldoon Fred Meyers. My hairdresser there was adequate, but not great. My friends go there and swear by Kristen - who was not available when I needed my hair cut. I have to admit, their cuts do look consistently great!

Another salon that is really good is the Appearance Center - It's over by Lake Hood in Spenard.

Old 06-13-2010, 11:04 AM

167 posts, read 422,472 times
Default Found a good stylist

Thanks for the recommendations. I ended up getting my hair cut Friday at a place called " Stylized Hair Design 706 West 27th Ave,(907)563-8202". I went to just check it out and I brought a picture with me of a style I liked that I thought would work. They matched me up with a mature stylist named Melba Dugan. She was great. First of all she has fine hair like me, secondly she really took the time to discuss what I wanted(I'm a lazy, blow dry it styling with my fingers kind of person) and then gave me a very careful cut stopping periodically to check details with me. I had no trouble doing my own hair on Sat. I am very happy with the results and will definitely go back to her. I only had a wash and cut so I can't comment on their other services but I like the attitude to customer service. The price for the wash and cut was $40, $10 less then the other stylist that I used before.

Old 06-22-2010, 07:29 AM

265 posts, read 1,063,401 times
As someone who may be spending a year in ANC soon, and has fine hair, too, thanks for the thread and responses!
I'd like to find someone who is great at natural-looking color for fine hair when I am there, too.

Old 07-10-2010, 02:54 AM

1 posts, read 3,714 times
HI there, this is my first post after being a lurker for ages. But it's a VERY important subject so I chose this one first to respond to! I've been going to Hairplay by Colors for years, and have used several stylists who were all good and have been there for the whole time I've gone. They have seen my fine hair thru growing-out to cutting-off back to growing-out, and are also $40 for a stylish cut and blow-dry. There are some REALLY expensive salons and hairdressers in town that didn't satisfy me. I don't get color or anything but have seen great color work done at Hairplay. Just wanted to recommend them highly, I don't work for them or anything.

Old 07-16-2010, 10:33 PM

138 posts, read 428,406 times
The only salon that I have been to in town is Alexsys Symone at the University Mall off of New Seward. It's okay depending on who does your hair. I had good experiences with the female owner. Yet, if you are used to waiting even though you have an appointment, you won't be disappointed. I like things to start on time. I have natural hair, so I have been into the DIY kinky twists with extensions. I don't like to pay too much for something I can do myself. Coming from Houston, I am used to finding a great hair deal on every corner.

Old 08-26-2010, 11:11 AM

13 posts, read 46,415 times
Thanks for this thread, I'm visiting Anchorage in a few weeks and am thinking about getting my hair done...haven't had it done since July 2009 when I was still in Los Angeles and had a fabulous hairdresser I loved. I've been too terrified of all the salons in Fairbanks! I think I'll take a look at Hairplay by Colors.

Old 08-26-2010, 11:08 PM

2,398 posts, read 3,833,140 times
A shout out for Deanna at Panache on Dimond. I have fine straight blond hair cut in a chin length bob. My hair is darker underneath due to sun lightening so mistakes are very noticeable. I consistently get a good cut that air dries without any fuss. I rarely use color but I have had very natural looking highlights done by Deanna as well.

When I find a good stylist for me, I follow them around. Sounds like you found a keeper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage