Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2011, 03:28 PM

4,989 posts, read 10,027,191 times

Advertisements

Here's a compilation of stuff from that last crazy storm over the weekend:

Heavy winds slap Anchorage, Turnagain, storm moves inland | Alaska Dispatch

Alaska's largest city, Anchorage, Tallies Damage from Winds Reaching 118 mph | Alaska Dispatch

High winds batter city; 2,000 lose power: Severe Weather | Alaska news at adn.com

Hurricane-Force Winds Rock Southcentral - ktuu.com

One quote in particular that stood out:
Quote:
Heavy rains were at times being driven sideways by the wind. Some Hillside homeowners were reporting leakage where the wind was driving water between windows and walls. Few ventured outside because of the difficulty of staying upright in the wind. One who had to go outside compared the incessant howling of the wind-driven rain to being on the deck of a ship in a storm.
The exact same thing was happening at my place as well. I've never seen driving rain of that intensity and duration up there before. Here's a video I was able to shoot from inside looking towards my storage shed. Sorry about the poor quality - I tried going outside, but that didn't work!

Anchorage Storm 1 - YouTube

This went on for almost 12 hrs! I've lived through a couple of hurricanes on the East Coast before, this was pretty much the same!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2011, 03:34 PM

6,424 posts, read 13,255,231 times
Holly crap batman

Old 12-06-2011, 03:36 PM

5,963 posts, read 12,441,819 times
Wow, I haven't seen rain of that intensity since the -48.

Old 12-06-2011, 03:41 PM

It was actually so loud that we were having a hard time just hearing the TV inside the house. I could see the windows flexing in and out. I was almost sure I'd have to wake up in the middle of the night to the sound shattering glass - and spend the rest of the night boarding up the windows.

Old 12-06-2011, 04:36 PM

3,763 posts, read 8,756,094 times
Good grief! Lucky nobody was hurt. Was school cancelled on Monday?

Old 12-07-2011, 12:00 AM

157 posts, read 240,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bongo View Post
Good grief! Lucky nobody was hurt. Was school cancelled on Monday?
nope - but all after school activities were cancelled the previous Friday. Sad actually because many of the high schools were having winter formals that night. I hope it isn't long before they can reschedule them

Old 12-07-2011, 12:23 AM

868 posts, read 1,427,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Whisperer View Post
Here's a compilation of stuff from that last crazy storm over the weekend:

Heavy winds slap Anchorage, Turnagain, storm moves inland | Alaska Dispatch

Alaska's largest city, Anchorage, Tallies Damage from Winds Reaching 118 mph | Alaska Dispatch

High winds batter city; 2,000 lose power: Severe Weather | Alaska news at adn.com

Hurricane-Force Winds Rock Southcentral - ktuu.com

One quote in particular that stood out:

The exact same thing was happening at my place as well. I've never seen driving rain of that intensity and duration up there before. Here's a video I was able to shoot from inside looking towards my storage shed. Sorry about the poor quality - I tried going outside, but that didn't work!

Anchorage Storm 1 - YouTube

This went on for almost 12 hrs! I've lived through a couple of hurricanes on the East Coast before, this was pretty much the same!
Holy crap, Moose!

We had rain in Spenard, too, but it was more of a consistent, sullen drizzle, and our wind was *nothing* like that. Same city, but you would never know it by the differences in our weather. I haven't seen a downpour like that since leaving Missouri.

Old 12-07-2011, 12:36 AM

Yes, it always amazing the extreme difference between the weather up there and down in the bowl. Particularly when it comes to the wind, they are almost always exactly opposite. When an East wind is howling on the Hillside, it is usually calm down in the city. Likewise, when a North wind is ripping through the Valley and in the city, it is usually dead calm up at my place. Wierd.

Old 12-08-2011, 07:31 AM

3,840 posts, read 4,513,935 times
Dayum. I'm glad I wasn't in Bethel, in that little hospital shack when that storm came through.

Old 12-09-2011, 01:14 PM

15,603 posts, read 39,845,945 times
How's come all the good stuff happens when I'm gone?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage