Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2021, 12:17 PM

21 posts, read 36,544 times

Advertisements

Hi guys,

Can anyone recommend some updated advice on moving 2 cars and furniture to Anchorage.
Are there pro's / cons to driving vs using the ferry?
Has anyone used Upack pods or can recommend the best way to ship furniture and firearms?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2021, 02:51 PM

903 posts, read 663,749 times
It is expensive. When my daughter took a job in Alaska her employer paid her moving costs. They picked her van up in Wisconsin and shipped it to Alaska. Otherwise I know it is very expensive. Good Luck.

Old 02-28-2021, 10:35 AM

23,259 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Resident007 View Post
Hi guys,

Can anyone recommend some updated advice on moving 2 cars and furniture to Anchorage.
Are there pro's / cons to driving vs using the ferry?
Has anyone used Upack pods or can recommend the best way to ship furniture and firearms?
When? Right now Canada is restricting or prohibiting border entries due to Covid-19. If you aren't providing an essential service or routinely cross back and forth, you are subject to testing, screening, or quarantine. No predicting how long that will be the case. Canada has strict firearms guidelines. If you take the Alaska Marine Highway ferry and don't disembark in Canada you don't have to deal with all this. More info here:

https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/services.../menu-eng.html

Ferry space fills up fast especially for the cross Gulf route you'd probably want for Anchorage. You'll still have to drive the final leg to the city but that's not bad. If you were planning this for spring 2021 it might be too late to reserve space already. Some people buy their own trailer down south to haul their belongings, then sell it once they arrive in AK. The nice thing about using the ferry is that you have a little more control over your freight and you and it arrive at the same time. More info on current fares and schedules here:

https://dot.alaska.gov/amhs/fares.shtml

Downsize as much as you can. What is so important that you must move it here? Sell it and replace what you need once you are settled. How "essential" stuff is changes once you realize how much it will cost to move. Shipping large freight is very very expensive partly because there are few options. Is your employer participating in this move at all? I haven't moved stuff to Anchorage myself...my employer paid for it. I found this, but the website info seems to be dated 2017. The containers go marine from Tacoma. They don't accept firearms or cars.

https://www.upack.com/articles/shipp...oods-to-alaska

Last edited by Parnassia; 02-28-2021 at 11:03 AM..

Old 02-28-2021, 12:06 PM

Thanks for the replies!

Wow the ferry alone for 2 cars is $5k, why on earth would anyone not drive at those prices?
Furniture shipping would be around $10k, still think that would be cheaper than replacing sofas, tv's furniture, clothing etc.

Old 02-28-2021, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the replies!

Wow the ferry alone for 2 cars is $5k, why on earth would anyone not drive at those prices?
Furniture shipping would be around $10k, still think that would be cheaper than replacing sofas, tv's furniture, clothing etc.
Driving might be less expensive if everything goes as planned...but that's assuming you can cross the border. Assuming you're not an AK resident returning home or providing an essential service. Being refused or turned around could make that an expensive trip too. FWIW, the people I've known who moved up here only moved what they couldn't do without, was irreplaceable/sentimental and got rid of everything else. Even cars. Its just stuff OP. There's more of it out there.

Last edited by Parnassia; 02-28-2021 at 01:13 PM..

Old 02-28-2021, 03:19 PM

300 posts, read 329,103 times
What I've always done is purchase an enclosed trailer down south, load it, drive it up and then sell it for more than I paid. Helps to offset the fuel costs, and the buyer still gets a trailer that's cheaper than buying a new one.

As to cars, depends on the car. Some just aren't worth bringing up, for various reasons. Better to sell them and then buy one here. If it's a decent 4x4, then I'd consider driving it up.

Firearms are a special case. Much depends on what kind they are, some you can bring through Canada, others no way. My choice every time was to have them mailed from Sweetgrass up to Tok, and pick them up on the way home. This next trip, more than likely I'll be using a ferry, loading the last of the collection onto a truck I'm buying down south, and then bring it all up. If the ferry is a no-go due to be already booked, you can always load the vehicle onto a flat rack and have it barged up. Those loads head out weekly. Then fly up and pick up the vehicle in Anchorage, Whittier, etc.

Old 02-28-2021, 04:21 PM

Thanks.
Just checked the barge price and its $2k per vehicle. Am I missing something? Covid aside why do people use this, is it not slower and more expensive in most cases than to drive?

Old 02-28-2021, 05:09 PM

Suppose there are people who either don't want to drive because of the type of vehicle they have, don't choose to put wear and tear on it, or don't want to fight the drive in the winter. Cost isn't always the top consideration OP.

Old 02-28-2021, 05:14 PM

1,810 posts, read 897,070 times
Quote:
Thanks.
Just checked the barge price and its $2k per vehicle. Am I missing something? Covid aside why do people use this, is it not slower and more expensive in most cases than to drive?
Many folks are afraid of the drive. Gone are the days of needing two spare tires, an extra 20 gallons of gas and a bucket of spare parts. I’ve only shipped one vehicle and that was from Seattle to Ketchikan. With only two drivers but three vehicles it was the easiest option.

Old 02-28-2021, 05:19 PM

300 posts, read 329,103 times
That sounds about right, you're not missing anything.

Quite a few folks use it because of the timing - it takes days to drive down to pick up a vehicle, and then days to drive up. At least for most folks. Those younger types can do the round trip in a week or so, but it's not an easy trip when you're driving hard. By the time you factor in time lost from work, fuel costs, lodging and the potential for damage (windshields....really common to catch a rock or six on the Alcan) it's either a wash or worth it.

As an example, one way from Wasilla to San Diego is around 3700 miles. In my vehicle that translates to at least $1200 in fuel alone. By the time we're done with lodging, etc, you can easily tack on another $600 or more. That's if everything goes to plan. I think I've had two runs where things have gone to plan, all the others....lol. For me, since I drag a 30' trailer with a full load it's worth it. If I was just doing a car....I'd ship it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage