Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2014, 11:25 PM

4 posts, read 9,635 times

Advertisements

I am a big city kind of guy who fell in love with an Alaskan girl. As a result I might be moving to Anchorage soon. Looking at small houses and condos to buy but don't know where.

I'm super excited about access to nearby mountains and wilderness. But I'm not so excited about Anchorage itself as a "city."

I've only visited a couple times but it felt like a massive, sprawling suburb not a city.

Prove me wrong?

Are there any neighborhoods where everything I want to do on a daily basis is walkable-grocery store, coffee shops, restaurants, theater/music venues, interesting local businesses, maybe a park? Basically a neighborhood built around a "main street" core that isn't a strip mall. A neighborhood with a high "walk score."

Do people live downtown? Didn't seem to be many apartment/condo buildings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2014, 12:04 AM

80 posts, read 146,602 times
Downtown is the place if you want everything in that list. Be aware, it is expensive for what you get. Although, I'm not sure where you are coming from, so you may not get sticker shock. There are apartment style condos on I St., M St. that are probably in the high $200s and studio apartment style condos on 3rd and 6th Ave that are in the mid $100s. I was showing clients on L, N and and G Streets a couple weeks ago, but we are getting into half million range there.

New Sagaya will be your grocery store. They have phenomenal fish and meats, products in general. They also have a coffee shop. There are tons of bars, restaurants and coffee shops like Dark Horse, Kaladi Bros., Marx Bros. the list goes on. I know Humpy's has live bands, but I admittedly don't go out that much anymore, so I can't tell you all the live band venues. Foster the People will be at Moose's Tooth next week (not downtown though). The Atwood Concert Hall has music, ballet, plays, etc. Delaney Park, Valley of the Moon Park, Earthquake park (in Turnagain area) are within biking/walking distance and you also have access to Chester Creek Trail, which is a trail system that starts in the Spenard area and heads east across the city, or the Coastal Trail. http://www.trailsofanchorage.com/Map...ilwatchMap.pdf

Tons of people live downtown, and many people rent homes that have been converted into multi-family properties. I think you may not have ventured west beyond 5th and 6th Ave. But you are correct, it's like a massive, sprawling suburb because you have a little over 300,000 people living in just under 2000 sq miles. The Municipality of Anchorage consists of Chugiak all the way to Girdwood. I'm originally from the Boston area, Anchorage is a very small city, but it's the biggest city we have in Alaska!

Let me know if you need help buying a place. I'm a realtor.

Old 08-21-2014, 08:43 AM

4,715 posts, read 10,524,586 times
Just moved here from a big sprawling metro area (South Florida) and we are not having any issues with finding things to do here. And I haven't even scratched the surface after 2 months either. Somethings are tough for me to find and at times I find them and they are more expensive. That is the price to pay for living in such a wonderful place.

FWIW, We picked to not live in downtown/mid-town Anchorage on purpose too. My parents decided they wanted that and rented a place where they could be close to downtown. Although I doubt they will be walking to venues in the winter. You didn't say where you currently live, so the first winter for you may be a non-issue. I know we will get used to it.

Granted we were tired of the big city and wanted a change, so my reason for moving is different than yours. I am already married with kids and my wife is not from here. So this is new for both of us. I also researched schools and curriculum's and rented a place specifically in that school district... Since you are marrying an "Alaskan girl", she should be able to direct you accordingly.

I'll recommend Erica as a Realtor too. She has been very helpful to us and we can't even buy a place until our other place sells. And I still need to go back and get it ready to list...

Old 08-21-2014, 09:45 PM

Thank you Erica this is very helpful. I like the sound of all those entertainment, food, and coffee shops nearby. I think I saw the New Sagaya store while walking around after breakfast- it looked very nice. I did notice all the trails for sure and got out in Kincaid Park when I was there in the winter- very excited to explore more.

I was hoping there were other neighborhoods with walkable core areas but it sounds like downtown is definitely the place to be. I will zero in my search there (and "south addition"?)

I will definitely look you up if we decide to buy thanks again for the help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericathynes View Post
Downtown is the place if you want everything in that list. Be aware, it is expensive for what you get. Although, I'm not sure where you are coming from, so you may not get sticker shock. There are apartment style condos on I St., M St. that are probably in the high $200s and studio apartment style condos on 3rd and 6th Ave that are in the mid $100s. I was showing clients on L, N and and G Streets a couple weeks ago, but we are getting into half million range there.

New Sagaya will be your grocery store. They have phenomenal fish and meats, products in general. They also have a coffee shop. There are tons of bars, restaurants and coffee shops like Dark Horse, Kaladi Bros., Marx Bros. the list goes on. I know Humpy's has live bands, but I admittedly don't go out that much anymore, so I can't tell you all the live band venues. Foster the People will be at Moose's Tooth next week (not downtown though). The Atwood Concert Hall has music, ballet, plays, etc. Delaney Park, Valley of the Moon Park, Earthquake park (in Turnagain area) are within biking/walking distance and you also have access to Chester Creek Trail, which is a trail system that starts in the Spenard area and heads east across the city, or the Coastal Trail. www.trailsofanchorage.com/Maps&Links/TrailwatchMap.pdf

Tons of people live downtown, and many people rent homes that have been converted into multi-family properties. I think you may not have ventured west beyond 5th and 6th Ave. But you are correct, it's like a massive, sprawling suburb because you have a little over 300,000 people living in just under 2000 sq miles. The Municipality of Anchorage consists of Chugiak all the way to Girdwood. I'm originally from the Boston area, Anchorage is a very small city, but it's the biggest city we have in Alaska!

Let me know if you need help buying a place. I'm a realtor.

Old 08-21-2014, 09:49 PM

Yeah I'm definitely not worried about finding things to do- just don't want to live where I have to drive to get everywhere. After posting here and looking on Zillow some more I am optimistic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakster View Post
Just moved here from a big sprawling metro area (South Florida) and we are not having any issues with finding things to do here. And I haven't even scratched the surface after 2 months either. Somethings are tough for me to find and at times I find them and they are more expensive. That is the price to pay for living in such a wonderful place.

FWIW, We picked to not live in downtown/mid-town Anchorage on purpose too. My parents decided they wanted that and rented a place where they could be close to downtown. Although I doubt they will be walking to venues in the winter. You didn't say where you currently live, so the first winter for you may be a non-issue. I know we will get used to it.

Granted we were tired of the big city and wanted a change, so my reason for moving is different than yours. I am already married with kids and my wife is not from here. So this is new for both of us. I also researched schools and curriculum's and rented a place specifically in that school district... Since you are marrying an "Alaskan girl", she should be able to direct you accordingly.

I'll recommend Erica as a Realtor too. She has been very helpful to us and we can't even buy a place until our other place sells. And I still need to go back and get it ready to list...

Old 08-23-2014, 05:48 PM

863 posts, read 2,079,005 times
Yeah, my wife's folks live just down the street from New Sagaya. Even I (the big city hater) have to admit that's a pretty nice area for doing city stuff. The walk and bikeways around there are well maintained in winter as well. And since Anchorage is small, getting out of town either north or south isn't too difficult either.

To be exact, I'm talking about the area bounded by the coast, the park strip (10th), C Street, and Westchester Lagoon. Heading further east, you get into Fairview which is almost equally convenient, and lower cost, but noticeably scuzzier. Nothing crazy though for anyone coming from actual big cities.

Old 08-23-2014, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heathen View Post
Yeah, my wife's folks live just down the street from New Sagaya. Even I (the big city hater) have to admit that's a pretty nice area for doing city stuff. The walk and bikeways around there are well maintained in winter as well. And since Anchorage is small, getting out of town either north or south isn't too difficult either.

To be exact, I'm talking about the area bounded by the coast, the park strip (10th), C Street, and Westchester Lagoon. Heading further east, you get into Fairview which is almost equally convenient, and lower cost, but noticeably scuzzier. Nothing crazy though for anyone coming from actual big cities.
Great to hear another positive review. And thank you for the specific geographic markers! Trying to look at maps of neighborhoods you've never been to can be very disorienting.

Old 08-24-2014, 12:55 AM

4,715 posts, read 10,524,586 times
It can and it will until you get here. The other thing is that you can get to and from anywhere in Anchorage in about 15 minutes drive time. Only exception is during rush hour if there is a problem.

Potentially in inclement weather - but I haven't run into that yet...

For a week I did multiple daily trips to and from SOuth Anchorage to Eagle River... It took about 35 minutes each way to go the roughly 30 miles each way. I went as many different ways as I could figure out and neither of them made more than a few minutes difference, which could have been caused by catching a red light.

Old 08-24-2014, 01:41 AM

319 posts, read 963,747 times
Default anchor town

anchor town is made up of a bunch of small towns that grew into one. but u will have to dr. sooner or later.

Old 08-30-2014, 01:35 AM

15,603 posts, read 39,842,411 times
We have an apartment on 4th avenue. Which is basically main street downtown. It's an easy spot to get to coming from out of town...or easy to get out of town. Coastal trail isn't far from here. The worst thing is having the railroad yard just below us. Damn horns honking at 4AM sucks as they leave the yard...but the 12th floor view is amazing...and it's a gated entrance to get in the building. You'd be looking at $1300.00 a month to rent here.
We have been looking at houses all over town the past couple months. Still looking. There are some nice places just too close to neighbors for our liking. That may not bother you tho. I can DM you our realty agent info if you need help with anything. She can send you links daily with houses for sale in whatever price range you want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage