Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2017, 02:12 PM

4,905 posts, read 2,057,413 times

Advertisements

So much for all the haters, but I spent about 15 years in Anchorage and I really miss the place and oddly enough, the people too!! A couple of years ago, I moved back to Western Washington for work, but I'll be finished with that agreement in 4 years and I'm now starting to make plans to move back to Anchorage.

Alaska is truly a love it or hate it place and it doesn't take long to figure what side you fall on. Also, I blame all the "Alaska" reality shows, which somehow convinced a lot of people to try their luck up in Alaska. If this is the case, these are the type of people who really never "thought" anything through BEFORE making the move and are somehow shocked that their "TV land" visions are not reality, based on real world facts.

On a serious note, why would anybody move up to Alaska without a guaranteed employment or a solid source of income like a pension??

Prior to moving, I did notice a huge amount of Californians moving up to Alaska and bringing their failed belief system with them... Which pretty much destroyed all of California. This is the case for Washington State too... I work with several Cali's and all they do is complain that the Seattle area isn't like LA or SF... Wow!! What a shocker!! News flash!! It isn't LA or SF!!

This is for all the Californians who are still up in Anchorage and are not happy... Move back to California and see how happy you'll be back home. Most of them tend to forget that they moved for a reason. Because California kind of sucks with the taxes and the out of reach housing market.

Anchorage is a great little city. Instead of looking for all the bad stuff, focus on all the good things... You might be pleasantly shocked if you open your eyes. Yes, Anchorage has some issues, but what city doesn't??

Again, much love to Anchorage and her people!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2017, 02:14 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,722,762 times
Whoops -- screwed up and put this in the wrong thread so I'm deleting my comments.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 02-19-2017 at 03:35 PM..

Old 02-19-2017, 03:31 PM

1,931 posts, read 2,170,757 times
One thing I do like about anchorage. Costco. Lol. Jokes.

All the parks. I've never been in a city with so many parks. I think the city planners have tried to integrate as much of the wildness of Alaska into the city as they can.

Old 02-19-2017, 04:22 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,862,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haolejohn View Post
One thing I do like about anchorage. Costco. Lol. Jokes.

All the parks. I've never been in a city with so many parks. I think the city planners have tried to integrate as much of the wildness of Alaska into the city as they can.
Aww, bless, you found some nice things to say about Anchorage

Old 02-19-2017, 04:33 PM

1,931 posts, read 2,170,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post
Aww, bless, you found some nice things to say about Anchorage
Occasionally. Lol. In all seriousness. It isn't a terrible city. It's a city and if I take away my hatred for cities, anchorage wouldn't be bad.

Old 02-19-2017, 05:02 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,588,269 times
Anchorage used to be a great little city. But it's been a cesspool for longer than I care to remember. I moved out to the Valley over 12 years ago and like it much better out there. I would have gone out even further, but the wife wants her creature comforts.

Old 03-05-2017, 09:59 AM

2,025 posts, read 4,176,333 times
I used to think Anchorage was an OK city, but I hadn't really ever seen other cities. Having done so, I recognize ANC as the miserable swamp that it is and I have no desire to set foot in the place again.

Your mileage may vary but really, it's just awful. The residents there don't love it, they suffer from Stockholm syndrome.

Old 03-05-2017, 11:51 PM

9 posts, read 17,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bergun View Post
So much for all the haters, but I spent about 15 years in Anchorage and I really miss the place and oddly enough, the people too!! A couple of years ago, I moved back to Western Washington for work, but I'll be finished with that agreement in 4 years and I'm now starting to make plans to move back to Anchorage. ,,, Again, much love to Anchorage and her people!!
I've been here almost 48 years and still love it. I WOULD like to get out to the Valley, or maybe Kodiak where my folks are, but Anch does still have a lot going for it. I just wanted to pass along that we have a nice little group on Fbook == if you are a member you might want to look up "You know you grew up in Anchorage if..." Fun posts by former and current residents.

Lots of snow and sunshine and cold weather for the Iditarod right now, a nice change from the last couple years of hauling in snow for the start

Old 03-06-2017, 09:44 AM

10,559 posts, read 7,758,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bergun View Post
..On a serious note, why would anybody move up to Alaska without a guaranteed employment or a solid source of income like a pension??

Prior to moving, I did notice a huge amount of Californians moving up to Alaska and bringing their failed belief system with them... Which pretty much destroyed all of California. This is the case for Washington State too...
For a little balance here, it should be noted that many people have moved to Alaska without jobs or pension funds in the past, and have succeeded marvelously. Granted, that's not so easy to do anymore.

And, some of our transplants have been Californians who did not bring their failed belief system, whatever that means. Full disclosure: I came here from Minnesota as a 3 year old, without a job.

Old 03-06-2017, 10:23 AM

26,639 posts, read 36,722,762 times
California has the 6th biggest economy on Earth, and Alaska is broke as a joke. Washington State's economy isn't doing so badly either. Who's a failure?

Alaska will have taxes soon enough because it's going to have to try to support itself for once.

I think it used to be a lot easier to move up on spec. and actually survive as it is now.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 03-06-2017 at 11:04 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage