Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2017, 10:36 PM

857 posts, read 960,811 times

Advertisements

just curious. i am looking at some raw land in kenai peninsula.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2017, 11:23 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,770,208 times
I moved up to live off the land.

Old 03-22-2017, 12:08 AM

2,993 posts, read 4,310,718 times
I drove.

Thought about taking a boat or plane but then decided nah, I need my car. The road I was on ended up here so I just stayed. Now I collect welfare and b**** about the federal government and try not to freeze to death in the mean time.

Old 03-22-2017, 09:24 AM

2,383 posts, read 3,109,200 times
I moved up here to catch all the magic oil money that falls out of the sky.

Old 03-22-2017, 10:37 AM

2,795 posts, read 5,621,239 times
I took a wrong turn at Albuquerque...

https://youtu.be/e8TUwHTfOOU

Old 03-22-2017, 01:17 PM

256 posts, read 453,763 times
While growing up my father would talk about living in Alaska on and off, he was born in the wrong century and longed for a more ‘simple’ life.

During my junior year of high school an instructor taught how to research and write papers with the first assignment about where we want to live when on our own. The initial assignment was not about Alaska, but the following summer my interest in Alaska peaked, and began researching Alaska with my new research tools.

Landed a summer job in my early 20’s and came up for 5 months to check everything out. Upon returning to my home state is when Alaska fever set in and realized coming home was a mistake. Took me 3 years to find my way back and the night my plane landed is the night I met my wife. Have been here ever since!

Not sure about the future. Really love Alaska, but my wife who is born raised Alaskan wants to leave state and experience the lower 48 for a while. Not sure if moving our kids around is a good idea (ages 4 & 6).

Old 03-22-2017, 01:33 PM

5,025 posts, read 7,460,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerThyme View Post
While growing up my father would talk about living in Alaska on and off, he was born in the wrong century and longed for a more ‘simple’ life.

During my junior year of high school an instructor taught how to research and write papers with the first assignment about where we want to live when on our own. The initial assignment was not about Alaska, but the following summer my interest in Alaska peaked, and began researching Alaska with my new research tools.

Landed a summer job in my early 20’s and came up for 5 months to check everything out. Upon returning to my home state is when Alaska fever set in and realized coming home was a mistake. Took me 3 years to find my way back and the night my plane landed is the night I met my wife. Have been here ever since!

Not sure about the future. Really love Alaska, but my wife who is born raised Alaskan wants to leave state and experience the lower 48 for a while. Not sure if moving our kids around is a good idea (ages 4 & 6).
Fabulous story!!!

Old 03-22-2017, 03:13 PM

1,004 posts, read 1,191,141 times
I drove too.

Old 03-22-2017, 04:57 PM

1,931 posts, read 2,174,123 times
I was single and looking for a date. I met a "lady" online through a dating website and I moved up here to be with her, after spending 3 weeks getting to know her online. I wired her $1500 dollars for a down payment on an apartment, we were going to rent together. She promised to meet me at the airport. When I got off the plane, "she" was actually a he. My money was wasted on beer and pizza, before I got here, and I was stranded and couldn't return home. Basically I was stuck. Thankfully I was able to lie on my pfd application, and my ten dependents, landed me enough money to pay for a few semesters of school. I started to feel guilty, and decided that I should give back to the state, so I became a teacher.
Now, I'm just to poor to move, but eventually I will have enough fur pelts saved up to get out of here.

Old 03-23-2017, 11:12 AM

2,795 posts, read 5,621,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haolejohn View Post
Now, I'm just to poor to move
too. Not to. As a teacher I expect you to know that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage