Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Architecture Forum
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2011, 04:33 PM

369 posts, read 1,960,815 times

Advertisements

If we want to do a second story addition as well as a kitchen remodel is it best to hire an architect or is a contractor enough? Just wondering who to contact for an initial meeting to get things started.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2011, 04:48 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,392,786 times
Default What is your goal? What are your options? How do you wish to achieve the outcome???

I personally have used architectural firms to do remodeling in a similar way that many commercial projects might -- after interviewing several architects I choose one that seemed to be most aligned with what I wanted to achieve and work to stay true to design without blowing the budget.

Since I paid the architect directly for the design work and the oversight I was able to select contractors that were best suited to do the work.

If you instead choose I "design / build" firm they might have different motivations and may not be capable of executing the details you would like in a way that is cost competitive. You also pay them in stages as the work is done and if you come to some logger heads it may be more difficult to find another firm to complete work that the other firm has the design documments for...

I think many design/build firms are very good and capable of delivering "on time and for agreed budget" but others have excessive overhead and will limit your choices to such a degree that the project may be a bit "bland".

Really comes down to quality and value. If you have seen examples of either a skilled architect or design/build firm, and do your home work to verify that former clients were satisfied either path is viable.

Old 02-09-2011, 11:30 AM

6,109 posts, read 10,899,749 times
If you are doing the addition mainly for just more space, or your house has a rather simple style and form that you are fine with and just wish to add some rooms to that same simple form, then a competent contractor with a proven record is probably fine.

If, on the other hand, your house has some good architectural bones about it now (generally older homes- pre 1960) that you wish to carefully consider as you add on to ensure the addition is seamless and sensitive to the original architecture. Or the surrounding area has seen some upgrades in the types of houses being constructed or added on to than your existing house and is supporting resale value increases. Or, you wish to upgrade a simple house with thoughtful addition that may also have some elements that bring up the rest of the structure to a whole new level of design, then you need an architect.

I don't charge anything to meet with clients to look over a property, existing structure and listen to the their needs about a potential design job, and show off a portfolio and references for them to consider. Nor do I provide any free design ideas (well, I try not to but I generally am so excited about a new job I might pop off a couple to get the client's attention). Some design-build firms do have a trained and skilled designer on staff as well and that makes a big difference. Many contractors are all about slapping up very unimaginative structures.

Good Luck

Old 05-04-2011, 03:46 PM

4 posts, read 11,416 times
What??? You need an architect no matter what!

Old 05-04-2011, 06:36 PM

3,702 posts, read 18,216,670 times
You might also want to check with a structural engineer to see if it is feasable to add a second story first. Your foundation and first floor framework may need to be reinforced first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Architecture Forum