Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Architecture Forum
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-27-2012, 08:46 AM

486 posts, read 1,498,380 times

Advertisements

Anyone interested in American architecture or history should check this out:

The tragedy of Frank Lloyd Wright’s Taliesin House | ~ House Crazy ~

Kind of a tragic story but compelling nonetheless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2012, 04:39 PM

1,360 posts, read 2,953,960 times
Reconciling Frank Lloyd Wright's private life with his professional brilliance is certainly a challenge. It continues to baffle me.

Old 10-29-2012, 11:46 AM

2,137 posts, read 1,905,530 times
There is a Frank Lloyd Wright building in my small home town, a dentist office. I always thought it was a novelty as a child, saw it in the same light as a 'fun house', as a young man I thought it was just plain ugly and offensive to the landscape, now I hold a bit more respect for it but still see it as representative of a 'wrong turn' in architecture.

Old 10-30-2012, 04:17 PM

29,221 posts, read 22,418,120 times
Taliesen was Wright's magnificent obsession. He loved it, but no one else did who lived there.

It was his bad beautiful girlfriend that he just couldn't let go.

Old 12-04-2012, 11:40 PM

4,096 posts, read 6,227,306 times
I couldn't believe how poorly constructed the Taliesin House near Spring Green was. Cold and drafty, only usable in the summer. Even now as they are attempting to repair it, one wonders if it could ever be substantial enough for a Wisconsin winter. Glass windows meeting floors that have one inch cracks and no insulation at all, and the floors go right outside, conducting cold right into the house. This would have to be totally rebuilt from the ground up, even the ground under.

That said, it is really amazing.

Old 12-05-2012, 09:12 AM

5 posts, read 3,631 times
Great link, forget about this one

Old 12-17-2012, 09:06 AM

9,981 posts, read 8,606,264 times
I'm of the camp which says Wright is terribly overrated,
and I'm not alone.
"frank lloyd wright" overrated - Bing

Old 12-22-2012, 02:35 AM

29,221 posts, read 22,418,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayekaye View Post
I couldn't believe how poorly constructed the Taliesin House near Spring Green was. Cold and drafty, only usable in the summer. Even now as they are attempting to repair it, one wonders if it could ever be substantial enough for a Wisconsin winter. Glass windows meeting floors that have one inch cracks and no insulation at all, and the floors go right outside, conducting cold right into the house. This would have to be totally rebuilt from the ground up, even the ground under.

That said, it is really amazing.
It's natural that construction corners were cut. Wright was always close to being broke when he re-built Taliesin for the 3rd time. Design always trumped practicality; the owner of Fallingwater wanted a summer house that overlooked the beautiful little waterfall. In the end, the family could not use the waterfall, as the house took over the access to it. Wright always talked a lot about his homes 'blending in' with nature, but more often, nature ended up taking a back seat to the house.

Wright often did not consider all the practicalities of a home in his work, and he was very much a man of the late 1800's in his thinking. At least one client rebelled when he designed a master bedroom that only allowed twin beds in it, but Wright very seldom budged on things like that. Such designs were all the more odd, considering Wright's own married life, which produced both a lot of children and a lot of romantic scandal. I always doubted he would be happy in such a bedroom.

The same goes with home utilities. Early on, many clients had to force him to add modern developments, such as central heating, into his designs. Later on, he left all that up to his assistants, and during the re-building of Taliesen, those assistants were actually students, who were paying for the privilege of learning from Wright.

Old 12-25-2012, 07:44 PM

17,377 posts, read 22,137,311 times
FLW was broke most of his life, selling art on the side to help pay his bills. Taliesen got foreclosed on at one point.

Interesting side note, one of his kids invented "Lincoln Logs"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Architecture Forum