Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Architecture Forum
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-11-2016, 03:03 PM

1,344 posts, read 4,764,494 times

Advertisements

Hello! Our current bathroom is about 7x5, and our master bedroom has a small space between the bathroom and the walk-in closet, about 4x5, and we're thinking we may be able to expand the bathroom into that space in two different ways...

We thought we could cannibalize that space to either:

・Knock down the green wall with the pocket door that separates the bathroom from the rest of the space so we can expand the bathroom and add a dual vanity to give us more elbow room. If we do this I guess we'd have to move the door to the walk-in to the other side? This would also mean adding a new wall/door where red wall is on the image.

Or...

・Leave the green wall up but still build a wall/door where the red wall is, and add a separate vanity outside the bathroom but still separate from the bedroom. I guess we could leave the door to the walk-in closet where it is?

I'm leaning towards putting a second sink outside the bathroom so who ever is in the bathroom taking a shower or using the toilet, will still allow the other to brush their teeth, or whatever. I also rented a condo a few years ago with a sink outside the toilet/shower area am still fond of that layout. But, I'm new homeowner and realize what I like may not be whats best for resale! AND my wife prefers the dual vanity layout.

What do you think? Any alternative ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2016, 10:27 AM

2,202 posts, read 4,328,040 times
I'd take down most of the green wall (to create an archway), build the red wall (use old pocket door), shift the toilet to where the sink is and shift the sink to new part of the bath with a double bowl vanity (better: two matching vanities with a cabinet between them).

Reasoning:

1) Allows one to continue the 12'6" bedroom wall into the bath, for an archway, to create a shower/tub alcove for a clawfoot tub. A curtain across this archway would allow privacy should anyone need to use the toilet while someone is taking a bath.

2) By shifting the toilet one only needs to extend the 4" dia. toilet waste line a short distance to get it away from the shower/tub, hopefully, without having a problem with the FJs being in the way

3) Shifting the sink to into the new space is easier since the waste line can be 2" dia. and tie into the old sink waste line.

Old 12-19-2016, 03:07 PM

34,933 posts, read 56,935,296 times
I would move the green wall to enclose just the toilet and shower and then put a double vanity in the remaining space between the relocated green wall and the closet. I do NOT like vanities open to the bedroom so I would also build the red wall with a door that can be closed so that someone getting ready at the vanity will not disturb someone still sleeping in the bedroom. JMHO, Jay

Old 12-22-2016, 06:34 AM

2,202 posts, read 4,328,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James1202 View Post
I'd take down most of the green wall (to create an archway), build the red wall (use old pocket door), shift the toilet to where the sink is and shift the sink to new part of the bath with a double bowl vanity (better: two matching vanities with a cabinet between them).

Reasoning:

1) Allows one to continue the 12'6" bedroom wall into the bath, for an archway, to create a shower/tub alcove for a clawfoot tub. A curtain across this archway would allow privacy should anyone need to use the toilet while someone is taking a bath.

2) By shifting the toilet one only needs to extend the 4" dia. toilet waste line a short distance to get it away from the shower/tub, hopefully, without having a problem with the FJs being in the way

3) Shifting the sink to into the new space is easier since the waste line can be 2" dia. and tie into the old sink waste line.
I just realized I made a mistake in my answer.

The green wall should stay as is to separate the vanities from the toilet.
The only archway I meant to reference is the new one between the tub and toilet.
This would mean one could not re-use the pocket door for the new red wall.

Old 12-26-2016, 11:03 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Before I answer your question, I need more info:

1. Is there a tub somewhere in the house? If not, I agree with James that you can take advantage of the remodel to put in a tub.

2. How much money do you want to spend? Moving the toilet would be more costly than working around it as is, in some fashion. Adding a tub would also involve a fair amt. of plumber time. Turning a single vanity into a double wouldn't be costly, plumbing-wise.

3. Is there a linen closet somewhere in the house? If you don't need a tub in the remodel space, you have room for extra storage, as well as a double vanity. You can never have too much storage!

Old 12-27-2016, 05:19 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,757,385 times
If you are going to redo the whole bathroom I would knock down the green wall and make a bigger bathroom and make the door of the walk in open into the bedroom. If not and you want to do something cheaper just put another sink with a vanity in the small space.

Old 01-02-2017, 08:12 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,586,758 times
Knock down the green wall and that little stub the pocket door closes against. Put in a doorway where the pink area is. Add a double vanity. Add additional storage to the right of the expanded vanity or, if you can afford it, move the closet wall further to the left and expand its size. A separate vanity is not the best way to go as usually each person has their own sink.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Architecture Forum