Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Architecture Forum
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who has the Best Architecture?
Boston 36 10.50%
New York City 71 20.70%
Philadelphia 17 4.96%
Baltimore 4 1.17%
Washington D.C. 15 4.37%
Charleston, SC 7 2.04%
New Orleans 26 7.58%
Chicago 89 25.95%
San Francisco 26 7.58%
Seattle 14 4.08%
Other 38 11.08%
Voters: 343. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2008, 10:06 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,343,170 times

Advertisements

The other side of Paradise-OTP - SkyscraperPage Forum
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2008, 10:18 PM

2,245 posts, read 7,191,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillside View Post
cincinnati has a lot of narrow streets, just as the east coast has plenty of wide thoroughfares.

you're right, cincinnati has a very unique touch, but i don't think townhouses and rows a fire-escape's walk away completely takes away from the eastern similarity. am i the only one who sees the similarities?
Well, I just think Cincy is too Victorian, wide and separated to look a lot like the east coast. Not to say that there aren't similarities...I mean, I definitely think Ohio is a transition state. But, Cincy looks a lot like St. Louis to me...and I'd have a hard time calling St. Louis an eastern city. I have a hard enough time equating Pittsburgh with the east coast let alone STL or Cincy.
Lovely pics btw...I do love such architecture...same with the new Chi Town pics.

Old 09-23-2008, 10:23 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,343,170 times
Default Thread by KingOfTheHill-Pasadena, Los Angeles, CA

The other side of Paradise-OTP - SkyscraperPage Forum

Old 09-23-2008, 10:55 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
Whenever anybody asks me what is there to see when passing through such and such a state or area, I always tell theim go look in a map and see the county seats, and drive through town and look at the courthouse. That is virtually the only interesting architecture visible to a motorist passing thrrough. Althouth, I also enjoy taking the freeway thrugh, instead of around major cities, to gawk at the old buildings. One of my favotite cities for that is Toledo, Ohio.

Old 09-23-2008, 11:15 PM

^ Well that's interesting. Reminds me of a small town in the Pittsburgh metro called Greensburg. The town has little interesting architecture, but the courthouse looks like something out of Rome!

Old 09-25-2008, 08:53 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,372,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
A few more of Chicago's variety.

from flickr

Dude, excellent respresentation of Chicago! You know, I see all these other pics of cities and I say to myself, "thats pretty decent!" Then I see pics of Chicago and its world-beating architectural variety and density and I sit back, take a deep breath, and say to myself "dang it feels good to be in this area." It really does, I could spend a lifetime in Chicago wandering around in awe, just soooooooo much to see and do that its really mind-boggling. GREAT pics!

Old 09-25-2008, 08:59 AM

5,347 posts, read 10,157,846 times
As far as residential architecture goes, you cannot beat the East Coast.

Boston, NYC, PHilly, Bmore and DC have the best historic rowhomes and brownstones in the US. Everything else falls short.

Old 09-25-2008, 10:54 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,372,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
As far as residential architecture goes, you cannot beat the East Coast.

Boston, NYC, PHilly, Bmore and DC have the best historic rowhomes and brownstones in the US. Everything else falls short.
The midwest has plenty of incredible residential architecture, even in the suburbs here. Every single type of architecture seems to be represented here, and most are immaculately maintained. Some towns have ordinances stating that you cannot touch the home, they have to be completely the way they were when originally built, and have to be very well maintained, or else you face fines.

Here is just a sampling of some western Chicagoland burbs:

HOOPOW! Take that ,naysayers!

Old 09-25-2008, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billiam View Post
Fells Point, Baltimore
Awesome. Fells Point is one of my favorite neighborhoods. When I was down there last summer, we stopped in some pubs, one of which, I believe was where Edgar Allan Poe had his last drink. The Horse You Rode In On Saloon I believe it was called. Anyway, this is turning out to be a great picture thread. Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Architecture Forum