Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Architecture Forum
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2009, 11:05 AM

186 posts, read 849,557 times

Advertisements

They have been all the rage for the past 10 years. I personally see them as lazyness from a design and build perspective. I don't see them aging well, and I don't like them much, although if done right it can be good, and seem better suited to smaller houses, and seem really awkward when done with large homes.

I'm sure many will differ, thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2009, 02:00 PM

1,148 posts, read 3,741,272 times
You mean loft style? Like less walls? I think they'll be around in condos for a long time. And smaller houses of course. I personally think it'll be a long lasting style when people start renovating oder smaller homes.

Old 06-25-2009, 02:17 PM

186 posts, read 849,557 times
Not loft style upstairs. I mean these open concept kitchens that face gargantuan living room/dining rooms with no walls or half walls and no clear delineation of space.

Old 06-25-2009, 02:24 PM

1,817 posts, read 6,863,870 times
I don't like the open house at all. I prefer some little nooks and rooms you can have some quiet time or privacy in. I rent a house that is pretty much open in the dining/living/kitchen/family rooms. Unless I want to hide away in a bedroom or the bathroom there is no privacy or quiet. Sometimes I'd like to have a quiet morning or evening without hearing games or TV or music.

Old 06-25-2009, 02:26 PM

1,668 posts, read 4,710,246 times
I don't like them mostly because when someone walks in your open concept home....they can see straight in your kitchen sink area. I'm not that neat all the time. I like to have some division between the public spaces. A wall here & there IS A GOOD THING!!!!!

Old 06-25-2009, 02:26 PM

1,817 posts, read 6,863,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EuroExpat View Post
You mean loft style? Like less walls? I think they'll be around in condos for a long time. And smaller houses of course. I personally think it'll be a long lasting style when people start renovating oder smaller homes.
By older I sure hope you dont mean the antique homes. We own one in another state and the previous owner thought it would be great to "open" it up by cutting out walls.

Old 06-25-2009, 02:53 PM
GLS

1,985 posts, read 5,382,784 times
The "open" design is consistent with changes in space utilization over the past 20 to 30 years. Fewer people entertain or have large family dinners, therefore there is less need for formal dining rooms. Fewer people "retire to the formal living room" after dinner for simple coffee and conversation.

Since groups of guests are smaller (2 to 4 couples), it is less conspicuous if the host or hostess is absent. The old kitchen designs tended to isolate the chef away from their guests. In addition, when no guests are present, it is easier for the cook to monitor the children while preparing the meal. Another aspect is that kitchens are designed in an open concept for looks as well as function. In the past most appliances were considered ugly and not to be displayed. Many modern day kitchens intentionally display their stainless steel appliances, designer sinks, and custom counter tops.

Obviously, there are exceptions to the above generalizations, but my point is that popularity of most designs emanates from space utilization. When the general public changes their habits of room use, the "open concept" will morph into something else.

Old 06-25-2009, 03:19 PM

632 posts, read 1,846,058 times
I don't like most of the open designs I see when house hunting. I want the dining room (if there is one) to be in its own room, not totally open to the foyer and/or greatroom. I want to close it off w/ french doors when not in use, but don't mind it sort of open as long as it has better defined space than I see in some houses. I do not want anyone to walk in through the front door and see straight into my kitchen either. Everyone is different, of course.......

Old 06-25-2009, 03:29 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,844,210 times
I purposely designed and built and open floor plan because I much prefer them. I don't care for the concept of "formal" living and dining rooms, and I spend far too much time in my kitchen to close it off.

Plus I don't want to live in a huge house with a lot of rooms that are rarely used and are just for show.

Old 06-25-2009, 03:30 PM

43,854 posts, read 51,245,736 times
I guess each family has their own idea as to what works for them. Then there are those who are persuaded by what they see on television or magazines.

As for me personally, I spent a whole lot of time finding a place to live that had a kitchen separate from the living area. It has a small eat in table and leads into the dining room, but I like it closed off due to cooking smells and any dishes/pots I may have laying around during a meal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Architecture Forum