Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Architecture Forum
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2015, 08:01 PM

4,096 posts, read 6,217,238 times

Advertisements

When I had a tri-level split built for me the plan was to have all three levels open to each other. But I had the bottom level closed off with a door and a wall. Glad I did too as my kids aged I didn't have to listen to the music blasting and the same movie over a hundred times. I also had the kitchen at the back of the house, not up front like the plans wanted. Didn't want to have to have it perfect every minute. Some open floor plans are nice but like that article posted above says, you have to get some privacy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2015, 02:28 PM

5,264 posts, read 6,405,851 times
Quote:
Sometimes I think people (maybe not you specifically, but a lot of people) assume all kitchens that are not in plain view of the rest of the house are automatically dinky little closets.
I don't know - I've been in a lot of houses in multiple (US) states and watch a lot of home improvement tv shows. Most of them are the equivelent of dinky little closets, especially at median and below price points.

Old 05-06-2015, 10:09 PM

5,277 posts, read 2,800,352 times
I know a rather nice home in Illinois. Seems it is over, what, 60 years old by now.

Old 05-23-2015, 04:55 PM

2,202 posts, read 4,328,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post
As I've posted in other threads, open concept ahs been around for centuries, especially in smaller homes and cotages where space is at a premium and walled of rooms would be tiny. So no, it's not really a fad and isn't going to go away any time soon, as it's a practical way to get light and traffic flow in a smaller to mid size house.

For example, this '50s home has the kitchen behind and slightly off to the left of this open plan:

Here's a smaller '50s house that has the living room, dining room and kitchen all open to each other:

I lived in a '50s home that was pretty much a mirror image of this next one, but with no walls low or otherwise, between the kitchen and dining. And from the front door you could see straight through the living room, dining room into the kitchen:

here's an even older on where the living and dining are essentially one room and only the kitchen is partially closed off...

These are all basically open concept small homes.
Merc63, It isn't an open floor plan if the only thing connecting the kitchen to the rest of the house is a doorway. One of the mid-century plans above fit the characteristic of an open floor plan. Would you happen to have any floor plans from before 1940? How about, say, any residence from anytime between 1800-1910.

Last edited by James1202; 05-23-2015 at 04:56 PM.. Reason: sp.

Old 05-23-2015, 04:58 PM

2,202 posts, read 4,328,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielAvery View Post
I'd heard that parts of France used to tax its citizens on the basis of how many rooms their home had, the implication being that the wealthy would have many more rooms in their much-larger houses. (This also explained the mansard roof, since that space was called "attic space" by tax assessors and thus not taxed, but was turned into living space, but that's not relevant) So it became a status symbol to have a house with lots of rooms. It meant you had "made it" and was well-off. When people moved to America, they went nuts with multiple, tiny rooms for all sorts of things in their tiny homes because of this. The US obviously did not tax you by your rooms, so it was the best of both worlds--the feeling of being well-off without having to pay the tax man for that feeling. It took several generations for people to work that concept out of their minds, that lots of small rooms equaled prestige.
You have it wrong. The tax was on the # of floors below the eaves; hence the Mansard roof.

Old 06-02-2015, 12:48 AM

16 posts, read 13,359 times
I insisted on a open floor plan when we bought our first house. We entertain fairly often and I try to have most of the food ready by the time our guests arrive. But it seemed every time I went into the kitchen for drinks or whatever, someone would say something funny and I would hear everyone cackling in the living room.

Without the wall, I don't miss any of the jokes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Architecture Forum