Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2010, 05:18 PM

Location: A circle of Hell so insidious, infernal and odious, Dante dared not map it
623 posts, read 1,225,842 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
I have some job leads in DC and am interested in moving. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to be likely that any employer will pay for the move. So I have some questions about people's experiences:

-The move will begin from Phoenix, so does anyone know of reasonably priced, one-way moving options from here? I don't mind driving 2300+ miles via U-Haul or Penske, but may need to hire movers to get some stuff from my apartment into the van. Judging by U-Haul's website I'd need a 24' truck to get everything in. I'm open to suggestions.

-Thanks to all who answered my previous post about best routes to OKC from Phoenix. I made good time on the 17, but I have little experience driving larger vehicles. Initially it looks like I-17 would be the hardest part of the drive... though I've never driven through the Appalachians and would have to going through Tennessee and Virginia. I was wondering if anyone has any experience driving something that big through any of those mountains.

-Hotels are another expense that would add up quickly. I may be able to get a friend to go with me and he offered to help with the driving to make better time. I can stay in Oklahoma City free, but a hotel anywhere else would be another expense I'd want to avoid. Does anyone know if you can make it to the East Coast in two days with two people driving?

Thanks for any advice (or any additional advice) you can provide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2010, 07:13 PM

7,186 posts, read 9,240,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phxgreenfire View Post
Hi all,
-Hotels are another expense that would add up quickly. I may be able to get a friend to go with me and he offered to help with the driving to make better time. I can stay in Oklahoma City free, but a hotel anywhere else would be another expense I'd want to avoid. Does anyone know if you can make it to the East Coast in two days with two people driving?
I dunno. Google maps says it is about 37 hrs driving. Can each of you handle 9 hrs driving per day? Say 2-3 hrs on 2-3 hrs off for 18+ hrs per day? That doesn't allow for much down time or unforseen problems either.

I know 2 people can make OKC in 1 day but I was pretty groggy the next day. So it is probably possible to do the whole trip in 2 days but you probably won't feel like unloading or work when done.

Old 09-10-2010, 07:36 PM

Location: A circle of Hell so insidious, infernal and odious, Dante dared not map it
Quote:
Originally Posted by locolobo13 View Post
I dunno. Google maps says it is about 37 hrs driving. Can each of you handle 9 hrs driving per day? Say 2-3 hrs on 2-3 hrs off for 18+ hrs per day? That doesn't allow for much down time or unforseen problems either.

I know 2 people can make OKC in 1 day but I was pretty groggy the next day. So it is probably possible to do the whole trip in 2 days but you probably won't feel like unloading or work when done.
My friend think it's therapeutic to drive long distances. I think I would do Phoenix to Albuquerque, then let him take us in to Oklahoma City. He could pull over somewhere and I could take over again because I know where we need to go. Anyway, Albuquerque to OKC was no biggie for me, but I-17 to Flagstaff and east Arizona/west New Mexico are a bit more stressful. I could stay with family in Oklahoma and if I have enough time, could even take a day off and stay there a couple nights before going on... provided I have enough time before the deadline.

The initial plan now is to try to coordinate movers (because some of my stuff is too heavy/awkward to carry for just two people) to get stuff into and out of the van.

Old 09-10-2010, 08:20 PM

135 posts, read 542,445 times
Phxgreenffire...here's my recommendation...this from a former over the road big rig driver.
Mileage is btw 2348-2356 depending on the route. I suggest I-17, I-40, (Knoxville, TN) I-81, I-66. Biggest pull is in AZ on I-17, and then pulling out of Alburquerque...after that smaller pulls but not so hard. Trip takes you thru Smoky mtns of TN and into Virginia. Pretty nice vistas to see thru east TN and VA excellent road most of the year as well. Don't know when you're travelling as you didn't say.

With second driver trip is appox. 36-38 hrs. actual driving time. Suggest shifts of 5 hrs each and rest for 5-8 hrs (for both people) after ten hours on the road. You could possibly make it in 2.5 days, but that would be pushing it and it's a long haul even with a Uhaul (which are notorious for not being able to pull hills loaded) have a maximum speed of 65. It would take btw 3.0-3.5 days to make the run unless you're going to try and make it driving straight thru.

I don't recommend stopping in rest areas except very briefly and not after dark, but that's just my personal preference, too. DM me and I can help you out with safe places to stop/rest along the way. I will recommend fuel stops as well. I'm sorry I can't suggest good motels along the route...but can make suggestions of the ones I would use use as a truck driver.

Wish you luck on your journey, if I can help you out, dont hesitate to let me know.
Peg

Old 09-10-2010, 08:22 PM

2,942 posts, read 6,520,262 times
Also, if you are in U-Haul truck, you'll likely be going slower/making less time. I suggest making it at least a three day trip, if you can.
Also, congrats on the job opportunity in D.C.

Old 09-10-2010, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peg Fife-Bell View Post
Phxgreenffire...here's my recommendation...this from a former over the road big rig driver.
Mileage is btw 2348-2356 depending on the route. I suggest I-17, I-40, (Knoxville, TN) I-81, I-66. Biggest pull is in AZ on I-17, and then pulling out of Alburquerque...after that smaller pulls but not so hard. Trip takes you thru Smoky mtns of TN and into Virginia. Pretty nice vistas to see thru east TN and VA excellent road most of the year as well. Don't know when you're travelling as you didn't say.
Oh thank you! I was hoping a truck driver especially could help. My parents moved a few months ago and left their SUV with me and I just drove it out to them a couple weeks ago. I did the 17/40 route to OKC. The 17 does seem a bit intimidating. I'm just not used to driving something that big. I'm not sure when I'll be going exactly, because someone is trying to help network me into a job... but hopefully before winter/snowy season anywhere on that trip. Are the Appalachians easier to drive through than western mountain ranges?

Quote:
With second driver trip is appox. 36-38 hrs. actual driving time. Suggest shifts of 5 hrs each and rest for 5-8 hrs (for both people) after ten hours on the road. You could possibly make it in 2.5 days, but that would be pushing it and it's a long haul even with a Uhaul (which are notorious for not being able to pull hills loaded) have a maximum speed of 65. It would take btw 3.0-3.5 days to make the run unless you're going to try and make it driving straight thru.
I think we may need to stop somewhat frequently, because my dog would be going with us. My mom said Penske is cheaper and she recommended I rent during the week, but the top speeds are probably similar. That really sucks if those moving vans go that much slower, because I don't even know how long that would take. I was going 80-90 most of that trip. I think the plan is to reach OKC in one day and stay with family, then continue on. I guess then I would need a stop somewhere between OKC and DC.

Quote:
I don't recommend stopping in rest areas except very briefly and not after dark, but that's just my personal preference, too. DM me and I can help you out with safe places to stop/rest along the way. I will recommend fuel stops as well. I'm sorry I can't suggest good motels along the route...but can make suggestions of the ones I would use use as a truck driver.
My budget for everything is $7000... but in addition to all moving expenses, that will be food, deposit, transportation, etc. in DC until I get a paycheck. Based on what you're saying... perhaps we'll stay the night in central or east Tennessee, then continue on to DC. I'll send you a message with any additional questions, but gas stops renowned for lower prices would be great.

Quote:
Wish you luck on your journey, if I can help you out, dont hesitate to let me know.
Peg
I really appreciate it and I'm sure you'll be hearing from me soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritchie_az View Post
Also, if you are in U-Haul truck, you'll likely be going slower/making less time. I suggest making it at least a three day trip, if you can.
Also, congrats on the job opportunity in D.C.
Thank you... it isn't definite yet, but I think it's going to happen.

Old 09-10-2010, 10:40 PM

308 posts, read 791,778 times
As I recollect, our move last year from NY state cost 3500 including the 22 foot Penske truck, car trailer, fuel, food for 2, hotels (2 nights, one night with family). It was a 3 1/2 day trip, nothing very strenuous. Good luck.

Old 09-10-2010, 10:59 PM

29 posts, read 83,560 times
you might want to check ABF---they bring out a trailer, you load, they drive it to your new home, you unload. This worked well for us moving AZ to AR.

Old 09-11-2010, 10:08 AM

135 posts, read 542,445 times
Phxgreenfire----Sounds like you've done a pretty good job of expensing this trip already. $7000 is a little tight, but doable. ABF might be a viable option as already posted...check them out. Their terminal in Phx is @ 27th ave and McDowell you can see if from the I-17/I-10 interchange. If you go there, they will be happy to give you a quote. I looked into them four years ago when I was considering moving back to MA from AZ (and still am). Only consideration to ABF is transit time for your goods could be from 5/7 days to 2 weeks. It depends on what other freight is going to the area you are going to and the closest terminal to where you will be staying/living. Also I considered, my stuff might be delayed in a terminal for a day or more along the line, because their trucks move terminal to terminal. I weighed the cost versus Uhaul or Penske (with fuel for rental) I found the cost to be comparable. It's a toss up.

Penske will run top speed 67-71 mph and yeah taking equipment during the week may well be less expensive, but then you will have at least 7 days to make the trip when you pick up equipment here and load it, make trip, unload and return it, so if you rent during the week, you will overlap thru a weekend into the next week, they know how long it takes. Don't know what kind of fuel mileage they get today, but used to be....they only got around 5.5-6 mpg loaded (and that figure was for gasoline too). You're not going to see the kind of fuel economy you will see in a regular four-wheeler.

Dog will adjust..when I moved out here from FL I had dogs, they adjusted well to the 5 hour shifts. Besides after 5 hours I was ready to get out stretch myself, use a restroom, and get more coffee or munchies.

Smoky Mtns and Appalachians are way easier pull than western US mtns. It's rolling countryside. Hilly but not at all like I-17 to Flag or pulling out of Alburquerque. For one driver, OKC is 1000 miles from Phx 2 day trip @ 68 mph...thats driving 10 hours and taking 8 off for rest (per DOT regulations for OTR truckers). Second day stop (for 2 drivers) could be btw Nashville and Bristol, TN...lots of miles in btw Nashville and Bristol, again your choice and how you feel when you get to Nashville.

I'll map it out for you and DM you with the info and include places to stop for fuel food, etc. Weather may or may not be a factor in another month or so, but not something you really have to worry over. Worst you might see east of OKC will be rain, no snow or ice until late November...

I'll get back to you soon.
Peg

Old 09-11-2010, 06:46 PM

Thanks JA... that's encouraging. I'll do what I can to get that number as low as possible, because whatever is left is what I'll have for expenses there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beekay21 View Post
you might want to check ABF---they bring out a trailer, you load, they drive it to your new home, you unload. This worked well for us moving AZ to AR.
I'll look into them. Thank you.

Quote:
Phxgreenfire----Sounds like you've done a pretty good job of expensing this trip already. $7000 is a little tight, but doable. ABF might be a viable option as already posted...check them out. Their terminal in Phx is @ 27th ave and McDowell you can see if from the I-17/I-10 interchange. If you go there, they will be happy to give you a quote. I looked into them four years ago when I was considering moving back to MA from AZ (and still am). Only consideration to ABF is transit time for your goods could be from 5/7 days to 2 weeks. It depends on what other freight is going to the area you are going to and the closest terminal to where you will be staying/living. Also I considered, my stuff might be delayed in a terminal for a day or more along the line, because their trucks move terminal to terminal. I weighed the cost versus Uhaul or Penske (with fuel for rental) I found the cost to be comparable. It's a toss up.
I'm going to compare them to others, but based on that length of time I think it would be best to make sure I have enough stuff for a couple weeks to get by until that arrives. I think now I need to get some sort of spread sheet or something together and start getting a budget put together. Unfortunately, if and when this happens it's going to be a lot to do in a very short amount of time. I'm going to lobby for at least two weeks to get it all done, but I would have to get to DC immediately to find and lease an apartment, then get back to Phoenix to pack and move. Anyway, I don't blame you for considering moving... I'm tired of living here and I'm ready to move on. Jobs in my field are really hard to come by, good or bad economy... and I just don't have it in me to settle. I want more variation in the weather, distinct seasons and more cloud cover, rain, etc. I will likely get rid of my car too, because I'd rather use public transit. There just isn't a lot making me want to stay here.

Quote:
Penske will run top speed 67-71 mph and yeah taking equipment during the week may well be less expensive, but then you will have at least 7 days to make the trip when you pick up equipment here and load it, make trip, unload and return it, so if you rent during the week, you will overlap thru a weekend into the next week, they know how long it takes. Don't know what kind of fuel mileage they get today, but used to be....they only got around 5.5-6 mpg loaded (and that figure was for gasoline too). You're not going to see the kind of fuel economy you will see in a regular four-wheeler.
Seven days is better than I thought. I heard five days was the limit, but that number is better. It would be nice to spend an extra day in OKC to spend time with family before going on. An absolute rush job I think would require five days (1-pack up 2-Phoenix to OKC 3,4-OKC to DC and 5-unpack/return truck). I'll have to figure something out about gas. I don't want to ask my friend to chip in, because he'd just be going along for the ride and would help drive. That MPG isn't good... when I drove to OKC I filled up in north Phoenix, a Navajo gas station about 40 miles west of Gallup, Albuquerque and Amarillo. Think I'd have to fill up about twice that often in a van?

Quote:
Dog will adjust..when I moved out here from FL I had dogs, they adjusted well to the 5 hour shifts. Besides after 5 hours I was ready to get out stretch myself, use a restroom, and get more coffee or munchies.
I actually think my dog will do better outside of Phoenix' climate. He has a short snout and will overheat more easily than dogs with longer snouts. I feel so bad because sometimes it's just too hot for him outside and he can't get a walk. I'm mostly worried about his behavior in the car: he has bouts of being very hyperactive and sometimes gets fussy on long car rides. He loves attention too and sometimes will mess with my arm, which I can't have while driving. I may see if the vet has some sedatives I could give him to keep him calm on the ride.

Quote:
Smoky Mtns and Appalachians are way easier pull than western US mtns. It's rolling countryside. Hilly but not at all like I-17 to Flag or pulling out of Alburquerque. For one driver, OKC is 1000 miles from Phx 2 day trip @ 68 mph...thats driving 10 hours and taking 8 off for rest (per DOT regulations for OTR truckers). Second day stop (for 2 drivers) could be btw Nashville and Bristol, TN...lots of miles in btw Nashville and Bristol, again your choice and how you feel when you get to Nashville.
I was actually going to DM you about that. I think I want to make it to at least Knoxville that day, maybe farther if I'm up to it. The ugly thing is how long Tennessee is and how much time it will take to pass through it.

Quote:
I'll map it out for you and DM you with the info and include places to stop for fuel food, etc. Weather may or may not be a factor in another month or so, but not something you really have to worry over. Worst you might see east of OKC will be rain, no snow or ice until late November...
I will DM you, I promise... I'm just going to get some stuff together so hopefully more questions/answers will arise. Thank you for all your help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
View detailed profiles of: