Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2012, 06:46 PM

29 posts, read 184,964 times

Advertisements

I have started dating a woman who lives in Arizona. I live in Southern California. She pays only a tiny bit more to rent a large house than I do for a tiny thin-wall studio in Hawthorne! So, it looks like the cost of living is lower, but what about wages? Do Arizonans get paid a lot less than Californians?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2012, 07:47 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,417,255 times
The difference between the two may vary on the type of job, but generally I would say yes.

Old 01-15-2012, 07:10 PM

39 posts, read 104,799 times
We have recently moved to Arizona from the UK and we seriously considered Los Angeles because my career in the UK was as a television producer for the BBC. So career wise, I'd have been a lot better off. Arizona was a consideration because my wife grew up here and her parents live here.

Ultimately it came down to what sort of quality of life we could expect.

I sold a very tiny but beautiful cottage in Kent, 30 miles outside London, for the equivalent of $350k. I figured that in LA, I'd be able to afford a 2 bed apartment in a mid-range area? Had I worked there, I could have earned ok but television doesn't pay that well anymore (in my experience).

The flip side is that here in Arizona, we are having a 4000sq ft house built for $325 including upgrades by Fulton homes, Arizona's best builder, in Gilbert, a nice area in the East Valley. I haven't nailed down my career as yet, I suspect I will have to diversify, but I know that I won't be under anywhere near the same amount of pressure as I would be in LA, in order for us to be able to afford an enjoyable lifestyle.

I am sure there are areas where you can expect to earn a similar wage (depends what you do) but you will not need to earn anywhere near the same level in order to live a better life.

Good luck!

Old 01-16-2012, 01:15 AM

643 posts, read 1,393,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UniqueSoCal View Post
I have started dating a woman who lives in Arizona. I live in Southern California. She pays only a tiny bit more to rent a large house than I do for a tiny thin-wall studio in Hawthorne! So, it looks like the cost of living is lower, but what about wages? Do Arizonans get paid a lot less than Californians?
I lived in Phoenix for 6 years. I was never able to make more than half I made here in San Diego doing the exact same job. My career had me living comfortably here in San Diego and figured I could give my family an even greater opportunity. We struggled financially the entire time we were in the valley. We were slaves to our a/c 9 months out of the year and the savings in rental price nearly evened itself out with extremely high electric bills. Finally after layoffs we both applied for Arizona unemployment. We waited and waited or the first deposits to start coming in. Finally we were evicted from our home because we couldn't make rent. I took all the funds we had and we came back home, El Cajon, San Diego County, CA. 3 days after my truck was repossessed we finally received our first deposits from Arizona Unemployment. We receive less than half of what we made working from unemployment via weekly deposits and scrape by now, cramming my entire family in small weekly motels. Arizona ruined my families life for the time being. We always had a modest but nice home before we moved to Arizona (lived and worked here in San Diego and Gulfport, MS). We always had two nice cars and my kids always had very nice birthdays and xmas's. We always went on vacations etc. Now because of Phoenix we are a notch above homeless and have to ride public transportation, had to send my kids to my aunts house for a few days when we ran out of food and no money(me and my wife starved of course). I have no desire to ever return to the valley as I have had extensive horrible experience there. BTW when I get working I will be making double m Arizona wage for the same line of work again and rent for a nice apartment here is $300 more than the same thing in Phoenix,with lower power bill due to nice climate. Here really is the better deal.

Old 01-16-2012, 05:18 AM

3,391 posts, read 7,162,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattpresley View Post
We were slaves to our a/c 9 months out of the year and the savings in rental price nearly evened itself out with extremely high electric bills. We receive less than half of what we made working from unemployment via weekly deposits and scrape by now, cramming my entire family in small weekly motels. Arizona ruined my families life for the time being. Now because of Phoenix we are a notch above homeless and have to ride public transportation, had to send my kids to my aunts house for a few days when we ran out of food and no money(me and my wife starved of course).
I'm sorry for your situation, and really hope things improve for you soon. However, I don't think "Arizona ruined" your family's life. I don't know anyone here who uses their A/C for nine months a year here. Rentals are more expensive than owning a home in Arizona. Research beforehand would have confirmed this. Arizona unemployment payments are minimal, again, something that can be researched from anywhere on earth with an internet connection. Your situation is unfortunate, but it certainly isn't "because of Phoenix." Best wishes to your family on a fresh start in a place more compatible with your preferences.

For most people, the lower wages here are offset by a lower cost of living. But Phoenix is not for everyone, of course.

Old 01-16-2012, 10:47 AM

3,763 posts, read 5,860,170 times
Hear, Hear Kimballette!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona