Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2014, 10:26 AM

4,374 posts, read 11,225,468 times

Advertisements

I just imported my AZ car to Canada. I purchased new tags at the end of March or April in AZ so have only used 2-3 months of the 12 month tag. I just contacted AZDOT to find out how I get refunded for the 9-10 months I didn't use and they in effect said "too bad, so sad, sayonara!"

Can this be true? I have never heard of anywhere keeping your entire years tag money - especially a state like AZ where it's a much higher amount!

Argh!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2014, 10:36 AM

455 posts, read 1,498,815 times
You can get a refund. They charge a $12 fee, so depending on what they owe you, it may or may not be worth it. I was owed $16, the $4 they would have sent wasn't worth the effort to me.

Check out these links to the AZ Motor Vehicle Dept:
Plate Refund FAQ: https://servicearizona.com/contentFA...te+Refund&sf=/

Plate Refund request form: https://servicearizona.com/plateRefund

Curly

Old 07-08-2014, 12:15 PM

Thanks curly, I looked there and this is what I found:

Who can use Plate Refund?

An owner with an Arizona license plate under one of the following conditions can use Plate Refund:
  • If he/she has transferred or sold the vehicle originally associated with the license plate; or
  • If he/she has ended a leasing agreement and is recorded as lessee.
The girl at ADOT said that since I moved (not sold the car etc.) that I don't qualify .

Old 07-08-2014, 01:06 PM

44,622 posts, read 61,590,826 times
A few years ago we ran into a similar situation. I just drove the car until the tags expired and then re-newed them at the new place.

Old 07-08-2014, 02:30 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,401,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
A few years ago we ran into a similar situation. I just drove the car until the tags expired and then re-newed them at the new place.

Which, depending on the laws of the new place and the aggressiveness of law enforcement, can cost you money for failing to register the car once you become a legal resident of the "new place".

Old 07-08-2014, 07:12 PM

2,925 posts, read 3,090,811 times
I've never even heard of nor thought about trying to get a refund for a partial years registration fees whenever I moved. I always just figured it was part of the cost of the move. It is not the state of origins fault that you decided to move away in the midst of your 'year' after all.

So, no. I don't think it's absurd at all.

Old 07-08-2014, 09:07 PM

44,622 posts, read 61,590,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
Which, depending on the laws of the new place and the aggressiveness of law enforcement, can cost you money for failing to register the car once you become a legal resident of the "new place".
True if you are a legal resident, but if you have a vacation condo and leave a vehicle garaged in the state you can run the plates out and register it in that state. At least we can where ours is at.
We have some friends from Canada that do that too.

Old 07-08-2014, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teddyearp View Post
I've never even heard of nor thought about trying to get a refund for a partial years registration fees whenever I moved. I always just figured it was part of the cost of the move. It is not the state of origins fault that you decided to move away in the midst of your 'year' after all.

So, no. I don't think it's absurd at all.
AZ registration fees are steep, can easily be $300-$500 per year - everywhere I've ever lived refunds for the unused portion.

Old 07-08-2014, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
Can't do that when importing a car to Canada, you have 45 days to register it and the border keeps track of that.

Old 07-09-2014, 01:20 PM

174 posts, read 206,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adventuregurl View Post
AZ registration fees are steep, can easily be $300-$500 per year - everywhere I've ever lived refunds for the unused portion.

Huh. GA won't refund, except in very specific situations, and moving out of state before they are due "for unused months" is not one of them. I pay $20 a year though, not $300. I also have to pay a yearly ad valorem tax along with the registration, but the car registration fee itself is $20.

I looked up AZ's registration cost and it says its $8, are you sure the hundreds of dollars you are referencing aren't the actual vehicle tax and not the cost to register? If so, that is mighty nice of AZ to refund taxes paid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona