Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2012, 09:24 PM

2,387 posts, read 2,721,258 times

Advertisements

At least, I think that's what it is. I just realized that this is what I posted about a year ago.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/phoen...elections.html

It's one of those things that makes sense for a brief moment - and then you realize the implications, that it could potentially reduce things to a one-party election.

Luckily, there seems to be a lot of force marshalled against it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2012, 11:14 PM

6,131 posts, read 7,997,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voebe View Post
At least, I think that's what it is. I just realized that this is what I posted about a year ago.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/phoen...elections.html

It's one of those things that makes sense for a brief moment - and then you realize the implications, that it could potentially reduce things to a one-party election.

Luckily, there seems to be a lot of force marshalled against it.

Agreed. It sounded like a good idea to me at first, too. Then I thought about it for a few minutes...

Old 11-01-2012, 11:50 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,750,404 times
A potential one party election is part of its design.

If, for example, you live in a heavily Republican district, and you happen to not be a Republican, you get no voice under the current system. Your elected representative will be the winner of the Republican primary. That Republican will tend to be the one farthest from the center. Under the top two you can vote for who you wish in the open primary but if the top two end up being Republicans, you have a voice in who gets elected, and the district might just elect someone whose views are closer to the collective views of the district.

Substitute Democrat for Republican in the above and the same holds true.

The idea is that we would get people who were a bit more moderate elected to office. The polarization and extreme views that grip our legislature need to go.

The one example that we have of this sort of thing is the Russell Pearce recall election. In that we had two Republicans, in a Republican district, running in an election that all voters could participate in. The voters chose Jerry Lewis, somebody who arguably better represented the people in that district. (There was a third candidate but she failed to get enough votes to make a difference.)

Old 11-02-2012, 12:24 AM

890 posts, read 2,282,345 times
Or we could just get rid of partisan elections so that candidates actually have to demonstrate an ability to do the job instead of relying on everyone voting on strictly party lines and running smear campaigns against their opponents oh who am I kidding.....

Old 11-02-2012, 05:54 AM

6,408 posts, read 9,000,265 times
I've been against Top Two for a long time. I still want to know the true motivation Paul Johnson and Company have. It has been a disastrous system in Washington, Louisiana and now in California so why would they want to bring it here. It does not accomplish any of the things it claims it will. The excuse is that it "works over time". All it will do is further entrench Democrats and Republicans with a lot of money to spend. In a general election Arizonans would only have two options. This simply is not acceptable.

Old 11-02-2012, 08:24 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,617,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fennec2009 View Post
Or we could just get rid of partisan elections so that candidates actually have to demonstrate an ability to do the job instead of relying on everyone voting on strictly party lines and running smear campaigns against their opponents oh who am I kidding.....
I'm with you on this. I wish we would all throw a stick in the well greased wheel and go Independent. Then the candidates would be forced to run based on issues only. But yes, who am I kidding, I think most people like a team sport.

Maybe we could do a show called "Battle of the Lobbyist"

Old 11-02-2012, 02:16 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,940,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
I'm with you on this. I wish we would all throw a stick in the well greased wheel and go Independent. Then the candidates would be forced to run based on issues only. But yes, who am I kidding, I think most people like a team sport.

Maybe we could do a show called "Battle of the Lobbyist"
Great point.

We live up in Coconino and we are so disgusted at the negative campaign run by Paton and Kirkpatrick that we have voted for the Libertarian (in early voting). It is almost impossible to work out what either of these clowns stand for because all they do is trash the other guy.

Old 11-02-2012, 02:43 PM

603 posts, read 947,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbenjamin View Post
A potential one party election is part of its design.

If, for example, you live in a heavily Republican district, and you happen to not be a Republican, you get no voice under the current system. Your elected representative will be the winner of the Republican primary. That Republican will tend to be the one farthest from the center. Under the top two you can vote for who you wish in the open primary but if the top two end up being Republicans, you have a voice in who gets elected, and the district might just elect someone whose views are closer to the collective views of the district.

Substitute Democrat for Republican in the above and the same holds true.

The idea is that we would get people who were a bit more moderate elected to office. The polarization and extreme views that grip our legislature need to go.

The one example that we have of this sort of thing is the Russell Pearce recall election. In that we had two Republicans, in a Republican district, running in an election that all voters could participate in. The voters chose Jerry Lewis, somebody who arguably better represented the people in that district. (There was a third candidate but she failed to get enough votes to make a difference.)
This is why I voted for it.

Old 11-02-2012, 02:44 PM

39,097 posts, read 51,300,952 times
Yes on 121!

Old 11-02-2012, 05:28 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,750,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen431 View Post
This is why I voted for it.
As did I.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona