Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2016, 08:02 AM

3 posts, read 1,756 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I wonder if anyone can help out, i'm flying to san fran next year and one of the legs i hope to do is get the train from L.A. to Williams to spend a day in town and get to the train to the grand canyon but i have a couple of questions. Firstly do the hotels know that the Amtrak gets in really early in the morning from L.A. so do they allow for early arrivals? Secondly what would people recommend as my next port of call on the Amtrak (i dont have the guts to drive over there) ? going back to Los Angeles or may heading the other way? i'm a huge western fan so certainly wouldn't be against going the other way on the train to Dodge city and or Kansas city then maybe flying back to California? Any thoughts on any of the above would be appreciated thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2016, 11:17 AM

1,995 posts, read 2,078,011 times
The train station is literally right next door to the hotel. There is absolutely nothing in that town but what is catered to the small train stop. Not only does that hotel probably do 99% of its business from the train passengers. The hotel can hear em, and from what I recall, sent the bellhops out when it gets there. It completely caters to the train passengers. Theres really not much at all in Williams. There is probably more businesses in one city block in L.A. then all of Williams.

I'm not sure if it goes that route, but anything to Colorado, will be awesome. I know I have taken the Durango/Silversteen route before. Definatley one of the most beautiful parts of the country. I believe there would be several parts that are still considered old west.

Old 09-25-2016, 11:36 AM

2,925 posts, read 3,093,017 times
You could always call the Hotel in Williams to find out for sure. . .

Old 09-25-2016, 11:59 AM

thanks for the replys guys yes i have been considering Colorado, Denver actually as i know you can get a flight from there to rapid city (for Deadwood), i think i'll do some more research on Colorado thanks guys

Old 09-25-2016, 12:52 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,063,176 times
just to clarify the distinction between the TWO railroads in Williams....

the Grand Canyon Railroad and associated hotel in Williams are operated by Xanterra, the concessionaire which also operates all in-park lodging at the South Rim Grand Canyon....thus, there are package deals from them which include both the train ride from/to Williams and lodging at the South Rim together....highly recommended that you spend at least a night AT the South Rim inside the Park and experience sunset/sunrise/the whole bit....

probably less than 1% of Grand Canyon-bound tourists use Amtrak to Williams from somewhere else to get there.....vast majority either drive themselves there, take an organized bus tour, or park themselves in Williams and take the GCRR....

https://www.thetrain.com/

Grand Canyon National Park Lodges - You're Not Just Close - You're There!

https://www.amtrak.com/servlet/Conte..._Page&code=WMA

note that Williams-bound Amtrak passengers must get off at Williams Junction and take a free van to the downtown train station (where the GCRR and GC Hotel are)

taking the train all over the West sounds great!.....just check schedules and coordinate!.....there are many other hotels/motels in the Williams area, many walkable from the downtown station.....if Amtrak does indeed only arrive in the area in the early morning, check with your intended hotel and see if they allow very early check-in without extra fees or if they have some policy at all for arriving Amtrak passengers.....the 4am arrival time is certainly not convenient and most hotels may require you to pay for that entire night unless you can wait until their check-in time later that day.....bring a warm coat!!

Last edited by azdr0710; 09-25-2016 at 01:01 PM..

Old 09-25-2016, 01:23 PM

Thank you - its next June so plenty of time to plan
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona