Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2014, 09:38 AM

44 posts, read 70,826 times

Advertisements

I'm not sure if I'm late to this or not. I know it has been discussed a lot, but as of today the "dreamers" as they call them are allowed to go into a state DMV office and get an Arizona Drivers License. It was just on Good Morning Arizona, showing the lines and droves of "illegals" headed in to get their licenses.

I guess this is why they call them "dreamers" now and not "illegals" because how are you really here illegally if the president says you can stay and you are given state issued photo identification that even allows you to operate a motor vehicle on OUR (tax paid) motorways.

I love the hispanic cultures in our country, I've grown up in the midst of them my whole life. Everything I know how to cook is a Mexican dish of some sort. It has nothing to do with racism at all, but I must say it feels a bit awkward and disheartening when people are just "let in" without even having to go through a process. What motivation is there for people to migrate here legally now at this point? I think to migrate to any country (which is the case if it's not the USA) you should learn about their history, make sure you learn their language, have background checks run to make sure you're not a dangerous criminal from whence you came. There SHOULD be a process, that many many people have gone through to get here.

My father, my grandfather, his grandfather all came from this nation. They fought in wars, they gave to the community, they paid their taxes, they helped build this country and now so many can just waltz right in without even knowing how to speak what is statistically the most widely used language in the world, OUR language. They feel they have the right. Why? Anyone has the right to become a citizen, definitely, but why does that mean people have no process to go through, they can just come strait in? They have no ties nor connections to this country, why do they have the right to come here? They have a country of their own, why do they not concentrate on it? They have a right to their country. If I want to go live in France I don't have a "Right" to be there without having to go through a process. It's a privilege, you should be humble about it, respect that it is there country, their culture to become part of it.

I don't know, I just find it really disheartening. I feel like my country is falling apart right now, like there is no respect here anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2014, 09:49 AM

39,078 posts, read 51,239,172 times
The licenses they started issuing today are to the DACA kids. For the most part, they all speak English as well as you and I, went to school in the US, pledge allegiance to the flag, and know no other country but this one. I think they are a special class of illegal and should be given that consideration with respect to gaining legal status and citizenship. As for their parents....

1,567 posts, read 1,957,540 times
I am sure they are driving anyways, license or not. Why not document them so we know who is in our country? I oppose amnesty because it is a slap in the face to those that have worked their way to becoming a citizen. But maybe we should also know who is here illegally?

487 posts, read 748,808 times
The only thing that hacks me off is that I need to go to the DVM to get my license and plates switched over from IL to AZ before the end of the year, and I'll be lucky enough to stand in long lines because of this. And before anyone asks why I waited until year end to do this - I just got here a couple of weeks ago!

Old 12-22-2014, 10:47 AM

39,078 posts, read 51,239,172 times
48 states already issue licenses to DACA recipients. In true AZ fashion, Brewer had to waste untold thousands of our dollars in an inevitably failed effort to sue the government to avoid doing so.

Old 12-22-2014, 10:48 AM

710 posts, read 3,392,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
The licenses they started issuing today are to the DACA kids. For the most part, they all speak English as well as you and I, went to school in the US, pledge allegiance to the flag, and know no other country but this one. I think they are a special class of illegal and should be given that consideration with respect to gaining legal status and citizenship. As for their parents....
Agree that the parents responsible for breaking our country's laws should not receive a wooden nickel, but would point out that the exact terms of who is a DACA "dreamer" have been changed so many times. I wouldn't even use the word childhood- it's a disguise.

At the risk of moving the thread from AZ to political, The last iteration of DACA involved removing the previous 31 year old or younger age cap. So now an illegal of any age, who says he has been in the US prior to january of 2010 can call himself a dreamer... With the stroke of a pen...

Some system. The only sucker at the table is the natural-born (or legal immigrant) citizen and taxpayer.

Old 12-22-2014, 10:50 AM

172 posts, read 392,110 times
Good for them! There are always going to be a few bad apples in the bunch, but the majority of these people are good, hard working people who risked all kinds of treachery, even death, to come work at McDonald's(!). There are people in my own family who would rather sit on the couch all day and collect social benefits than work at McD's. If I had to pick someone to get a free driver's license, guess who it would be?

This is a multifaceted issue, and there are definitely some things that I don't agree with. But at the core are people who just want to give their families better lives. I was lucky and happened to be born in the US. But if I am ever wearing the other shoe and need to figure out a way to get to France to provide food and safety for my family, I just might resort to doing the same thing they are.

Old 12-22-2014, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noregrets11 View Post
Good for them! There are always going to be a few bad apples in the bunch, but the majority of these people are good, hard working people who risked all kinds of treachery, even death, to come work at McDonald's(!). There are people in my own family who would rather sit on the couch all day and collect social benefits than work at McD's. If I had to pick someone to get a free driver's license, guess who it would be?

This is a multifaceted issue, and there are definitely some things that I don't agree with. But at the core are people who just want to give their families better lives. I was lucky and happened to be born in the US. But if I am ever wearing the other shoe and need to figure out a way to get to France to provide food and safety for my family, I just might resort to doing the same thing they are.
And would you begrudge the native Frenchman who complains that you abuse his countrymen's generosity or apathy? Or that your McDonalds job should go to a Frenchman, or that his country's schools are filled with a generation of kids needing a disproportionate share of sevices, which thereby weakens the quality of his own childrens' education?

Either one believes in a country, with requisite borders, language, and culture, or one doesn't.

There are plenty of awful places to be born and live in this world. Doesn't mean that the USA need take in each and every one of them. At some point, the lifeboat runs out of seats and sinks.

Old 12-22-2014, 11:03 AM

1,699 posts, read 2,433,260 times
But... France is not going to give you anything, or Mexico or wichever country.
So, is it only for folks from south of the border, or from any or every country???

I know the answer.

Old 12-22-2014, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by corydon View Post
But... France is not going to give you anything, or Mexico or wichever country.
So, is it only for folks from south of the border, or from any or every country???

I know the answer.
Do we have an ethnic russian or canadian illegal immigration problem at the moment? I know the answer too.

If my kitchen is crawling with ants, but there happens to be a fly or three on the window, I address the ants first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
View detailed profiles of: