Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2018, 12:12 AM

3 posts, read 5,964 times

Advertisements

Going to check out some properties in these areas soon. I've read all the previous threads about them but they're somewhat dated now and I have a few specific questions of my own and some posters here seemed very familiar with these places. Hopefully they're still around...

One of the places on SVR has a well. Do people drink their well water there? Reverse osmosis filter system under the sink? Who would I need to get in touch with to have the water tested? Is there a Radon problem? Any recent updates on the aquifer situation (something about Prescott or Phoenix redirecting some of the water for themselves?), and this big hydroelectric plant that was/is in the works in the area? Are wells likely to run dry in our lifetimes??

For the properties where it's water haul or delivery, are the SVR and SRR community wells free to use (HOA fees include the use of the wells)? Whereabouts are they located approximately? Do the water delivery companies deliver anywhere within the ranches or do they refuse to go to some of the more remote parts? Any recommendations for well drilling estimates?

I'm thinking of doing occasional Airbnb. I know the HOA rules (SVR's at least) state the properties shouldn't be used for business purposes. Does Airbnb count? Am I likely to get into trouble if I have non residents coming and going? Will the "neighbors" frown upon it if they see out of state/obvious rental cars on their roads, trespassing on ranch association property? How hands on/strict are the HOAs in general? Is Bridge Canyon the only one without HOA?

Are there PO Boxes available at the Seligman post office? Does Amazon/UPS deliver there?

If I plan to leave for a few weeks to a couple of months, is a shipping container with a big lock a safe enough place to leave valuables? How likely is it to come back to a completely trashed house?

One of the places I'm looking at has a couple of cabins and I called the county to ask about permits since the GIS website wasn't showing any. They said the owners had applied for the permits but nobody had ever been to inspect the property. The real estate ad also states there is a septic system in place but the county has no record of it either. What recourse do I have as a prospective buyer to make sure I'm buying something legal or that can be made legal without exorbitant costs? I'm guessing I can't ask the county to come and inspect without the owner's permission and he may not be very keen to have them come. So what solutions do I have?

And do people do pre-purchase inspections around here like they do in the city prior to purchasing a home (structural integrity, termites etc)? Do they deal with owner build/alternative materials/straw bale etc? Who should I call?

I think that's about it for now. Any help much appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2018, 04:10 AM

4,602 posts, read 6,364,058 times
"The real estate ad also states there is a septic system in place but the county has no record of it either. What recourse do I have as a prospective buyer to make sure I'm buying something legal or that can be made legal without exorbitant costs? I'm guessing I can't ask the county to come and inspect without the owner's permission and he may not be very keen to have them come. So what solutions do I have?" Don't buy anything that was either done without a permit or the permit was not signed off/closed out by the county.....or stipulate in your offer that the owner bring everything up to code, and provide you with a copy of the approved/closed permit.

"alternative materials/straw bale etc? Who should I call?"....the county building office.

Regards
Gemstone1

Old 05-18-2018, 02:59 PM

635 posts, read 784,333 times
So many questions. Try going online and research the areas you are interested in. Check county websites. Just use your search engine.

Old 05-18-2018, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemstone1 View Post
"stipulate in your offer that the owner bring everything up to code, and provide you with a copy of the approved/closed permit.
I guess that's the safest route. Hopefully they're willing to do so...

Old 05-18-2018, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapie9969 View Post
So many questions. Try going online and research the areas you are interested in. Check county websites. Just use your search engine.
I've been researching the area for months. I thought my questions were relatively specific and that's what forums such as this one are for. Might be helpful to other people with similar questions down the line too..

Thanks for your valuable input.

Old 05-19-2018, 03:26 PM

3,424 posts, read 2,919,706 times
you need to find a realtor that specializes in that area; your questions span about 10 different subjects, so its unlikely ANY non realtor will be able to answer most of them
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona