Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2008, 08:42 AM

7 posts, read 29,152 times

Advertisements

Can anyone tell me anything about Dermott? I lived there more than 40 years ago and now would like to retire there. I saw a fixer-upper house there that I would like to buy and renovate. Also, how are the utility costs in summer (air conditioner) and winter (heating) ? Any information would be helpful. Thanks.
Michelle
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2008, 09:58 AM

4,395 posts, read 4,910,840 times
Dermott has changed drastically since I graduated high school and left in '87. The population has dropped from about 5,200 to 3,300. Most of the ones who are still there are stuck with no way out. The town is not dieing, it is dead and slowing rotting away.

My parents are still there in the same house down the street from the swimming pool. They will never leave. They have their little group of friends who have always lived in Dermott. That small, core group of old-timers will be there until forever.

-Robert

Old 04-01-2008, 06:45 PM

Thanks Robert for your comments. I was told by a family member that people (several families) from California and Chicago have bought property in Dermott and are building new homes there. I was thinking this might be a new burst of growth. I am just looking to retire and live peaceably in a small town, preferably Dermott since I grew up there.

Can you address the "gang" problems there in Dermott? Is it as serious as say maybe Little Rock or elsewhere? Thanks alot.

Old 04-01-2008, 08:33 PM

I don't follow the crime much except for the news I get from my parents. There was one robbery/murder last year which is rare. I think most of the crime is petty theft and burglary to trade for drugs. As with most of rural AR, the meth problem is still pretty bad. My father-in-law is a farmer in Portland and has had people ask him to fill up an ice chest with ammonia. That is a major meth ingredient and extremely deadly to anyone handling it especially in an open container. If there are gangs, its nothing more than wanna be's. There's nothing to profit from down there.

I have heard nothing of the any people moving in or new building going on and my parents live beside a real estate agent. Not that it isn't happening. They may not get much info outside of their small circle of friends.

If I were you, I'd at least make an extended visit back before buying anything. I have trouble staying for an overnight visit but I was never attached to the place. I got away and started college in Monticello a week after high school graduation. If you want to stay in the area Monticello and Lake Village are both growing at least compared to other SE Ark towns.

-Robert

Old 04-02-2008, 10:08 AM

I am planning a trip there next month and will spend about 5 days looking around. Hopefully, I will be able to make a better judgement and get a real feel for the area. Thanks, Robert for your comments. They have been very helpful especially regarding the "gang" situation.

Michelle

Old 04-02-2008, 08:02 PM

When you do go, check out the Dermott museum. My mother was one of the people who helped set it up.

-Robert
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas