Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2009, 04:37 PM

9 posts, read 43,746 times

Advertisements

My family and I live in Texas. We are close to family and friends, but the city has lost it's appeal. We have been considering a move outside of the city, and would love to have land and wide open spaces. Recently we vacationed near Greers Ferry Lake, and Mountain View, Arkansas. We loved the natural beauty and slower pace. We love camping, fishing, and water sports. My father owns some land and offered us 3 acres of our own. My husband has always dreamed of building us a home, and this seems like a perfect opportunity. However, we don't know much about the town, the people, or the schools. We have 2 small children. Would Bald Knob be a good fit for us?

Old 07-22-2009, 05:37 PM

12,436 posts, read 11,950,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swpoole View Post
My family and I live in Texas. We are close to family and friends, but the city has lost it's appeal. We have been considering a move outside of the city, and would love to have land and wide open spaces. Recently we vacationed near Greers Ferry Lake, and Mountain View, Arkansas. We loved the natural beauty and slower pace. We love camping, fishing, and water sports. My father owns some land and offered us 3 acres of our own. My husband has always dreamed of building us a home, and this seems like a perfect opportunity. However, we don't know much about the town, the people, or the schools. We have 2 small children. Would Bald Knob be a good fit for us?
Well it is pretty wide open out there. I don't know much about the place other than it has the highest sales tax in the nation 11.5% and it is about an hour from little rock and an hour and half from Memphis. I don't go to North East Arkansas too much.

Old 07-22-2009, 06:19 PM

837 posts, read 2,249,584 times
I have a friend who moved there, and it's really pretty, at least north of town, towards Batesville. I don't know much about it other than that.

Old 07-22-2009, 07:37 PM

807 posts, read 2,516,010 times
The Bulldog in BK is a great restaurant!

I've only been through there a few times,but it appears to be a typical small town in Arkansas.

Old 07-22-2009, 07:55 PM

9,803 posts, read 16,194,504 times
Either of you need employment ?

Old 07-22-2009, 09:09 PM

Everything sounds positive so far (except the taxes). I will have a job already. My husband will find work once we're out there.

Old 07-23-2009, 07:29 AM

My husband is a master carpenter, and will looking for jobs once we're settled. He'll be busy building our house for a few years, but will probably try to work when he can.

Old 07-23-2009, 07:48 AM

12,436 posts, read 11,950,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swpoole View Post
My husband is a master carpenter, and will looking for jobs once we're settled. He'll be busy building our house for a few years, but will probably try to work when he can.
Unless your independently wealthy or have a guaranteed stream of income, where you are going to work would be primary concern for me. I would not move anywhere that I did not already have a job. Jobs are not that plentiful right now and the section of state that you are thinking of moving to is not producing a lot of jobs. Just saying.

Old 07-24-2009, 04:25 PM

16 posts, read 36,689 times
Quote:
My husband is a master carpenter
The Fayetteville Shale play has created more jobs there than anything else. Bald Knob is a few miles from Woodruff Co which is about the poorest county in the state and has a very high unemployment rate. Building trades have collapsed for the most part. It will be a tough move. And Arkansas taxes everything. Property, personal property, sales taxes are high, and they have both income and property taxes. Severance taxes for most commodities (oil, gas, timber), etc. No one tax is excessive. Per Capita the overall tax burden is pretty high and our schools typically aren't going to win any prizes.

Old 08-12-2009, 09:46 AM

6 posts, read 16,942 times
Bald Knob is not TOO bad, but you would wnat to make arrangements for your children to either go to Searcy schools, Harding Academy, or possiblly White Co. Central, I would not send them to BK schools. My dad lives in BK and we are in Searcy, the distance between the two is less than 15 minutes. He likes it there because he has over 40 acres that was considerablly cheaper than purchasing the same amount in searcy. Now if the land is closer to the Judsonia area i think it is nicer, well as with any "outlying" towns the area typically get nicer as you get into the "micropolitan" are. BK is still White County, and I have lived several places in AR and the Searcy/White county are is by far my fav. It has the "smal town" feel but is close to Little Rock and other things to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas