Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2011, 09:45 AM

2 posts, read 18,458 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone,

So I lived in both, but only tried work in NYC (not in Dubai)

And Lately I have been thinking of finding a job in Dubai (I am in the business and marketing field)

I would love to hear from those who worked in Dubai Pros -cons when it comes to WORK LIFE in both

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2011, 05:08 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,922,186 times
The biggest downfall is actually having to live in Dubai..

Old 12-08-2011, 07:59 PM

27,555 posts, read 28,641,455 times
The problem with Dubai is that everything I've seen, heard or read about it makes me cringe.

Old 12-08-2011, 08:58 PM

10,068 posts, read 14,940,669 times
Remember, if you're an American citizen it doesn't matter where in the world you live, you still have to pay your US income taxes. The US is the only developed country that requires this from its living abroad citizens.

Everyone else from developed countries can live in say Dubai and earn tax free income, since the UAE doesn't have income taxes and other developed countries don't charge taxes to their citizens living abroad.

Old 12-08-2011, 09:12 PM

16,257 posts, read 43,176,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonio84 View Post
Remember, if you're an American citizen it doesn't matter where in the world you live, you still have to pay your US income taxes. The US is the only developed country that requires this from its living abroad citizens.
If you earn over $70,000 abroad, than you pay taxes to the US.

I've lived abroad and earned incomes in foreign countries for a long time, and never been anywhere near 70K for an income.

So, I guess it depends on what kind of income-earner potential a person is capable of making.

Old 12-09-2011, 03:21 PM

6,347 posts, read 9,872,773 times
Go work in Dubai and enjoy the benefits of slave labor. You can live like a Pharaoh off the backs of Indian, Pakistani, and Bangladeshi slaves. Enjoy a city of empty gaudy mega skyscrapers, beaches full of sewage, huge malls, no culture, debtors prison, and somewhat authoritarian Islamic values.

Old 12-09-2011, 03:42 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,735,836 times
Funny comparison, that's not comparing apples and oranges, but apples and headphones

I have never been to Dubai, but nearbai, Arabs down there seemed pretty cold, superficial, materialist, conservative, and simply arrogant to me. As if they had any reason to be arrogant. The oil is just there for them like a lottery win and without the army of foreign workers and experts the whole Gulf would collapse anyway.
I could not imagine living there permanently, the separation of society into male and female sub-societies is hard to bear for someone used to our Western freedoms.

Old 12-09-2011, 03:58 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,490,401 times
Stay in New York
I'd only move to Dubai if i was an Emirati
Stay in the land of the free i remember hearing a story of a couple from Australia (i think) who visited Dubai during Ramadan so they couldn't eat or drink in public, the wife was in the rental car and got caught drinking a juice box and got thrown in jail

Old 12-09-2011, 06:58 PM

174 posts, read 640,044 times
I'd only visit Dubai for tourism, but work and live? no thanks.
I'm not a workaholic type of person. I work 5 days a week and make sure I always have time to have fun and hangout with friends. And my most common type of having fun, is drinking in the pub with friends. From what I've heard, nightlife or drinking in Dubai is overpriced, lame and not fun.
I got a friend working in Dubai, and she can not wait for her contract to end.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia