Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2010, 04:01 PM

9 posts, read 19,373 times

Advertisements

My husband has been offered an opportunity to take a position in Shanghai for 3 years with his company. We are not sure if we should accept the post. We no nothing about Shanghai, though kind of excited, are also very nervous. We have 2 young children (5 and 2) and 3 dogs. We spend a lot of time outside in our backyard....and at the local parks.

How is the housing in Shanghai? Do they have houses or town homes? Do they have yards that the kids and dogs can play in (do they allow dogs)?

ANYTHING anyone can tell me would be greatly appreciated. T

Thanks so much,

MJ
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2010, 05:18 PM

382 posts, read 489,244 times
You do realize that Shanghai is in a country that treats its citizens like dog poo right?

Old 12-14-2010, 06:38 PM

1,496 posts, read 2,439,566 times
Shanghai is a beautiful city !!! I had gone there 2 years ago, but just for travel...But ,I know , the price of house is so so so expensive... You must have enough money , Good luck!

Old 12-14-2010, 08:54 PM

268 posts, read 1,614,452 times
I live in China and spent a week in Shanghai. PM me if you have questions.

Anyway, you will probably be living in an apartment in a high-rise. I used to live on the 29th floor when I lived in Dalian. The Chinese love dogs and pooch ownership is on the rise. However, Shanghai is considering a one-dog policy.

Shanghai is probably the best city for Westerners who have zilch experience in China.

Old 12-15-2010, 05:04 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,076,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Surrender View Post
I live in China and spent a week in Shanghai. PM me if you have questions.

Anyway, you will probably be living in an apartment in a high-rise. I used to live on the 29th floor when I lived in Dalian. The Chinese love dogs and pooch ownership is on the rise. However, Shanghai is considering a one-dog policy.

Shanghai is probably the best city for Westerners who have zilch experience in China.
I hope that's not with bean sprouts and soy sauce, , sorry I couldn't resist, I don't want to promote stereotypes. For instance the Swiss eat dogs too, but no one has a cow at them for doing so do they?

Old 12-15-2010, 06:30 AM

211 posts, read 566,548 times
Your standard of living will be greatly affected by the package your husband's company offers him to relocate. If he's a professional working for an international corporation, you'll be able to enjoy the ex-pat lifestyle to the hilt. I'm assuming this is the case and am answering your questions based on this assumption.

Out in the suburbs of SH, there are houses. Many are in cloistered, guarded enclaves for ex-pats and wealthy locals. If you live in the city, you'll most likely be in a high rise.

There are many good schools in SH for ex-pat kids, like Shanghai American School. They have two campuses. Schools such as SAS are extremely expensive. However, the tuition is usually a condition of your husband's relocation package.

I don't know about dogs. In Beijing, where I live, big dogs aren't allowed within the inner-city. SH may have a similar law. You'll need to check into that.

SH itself has a lot to offer. Many expats really love it there.

Scott

Old 12-15-2010, 06:53 AM

268 posts, read 1,614,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I hope that's not with bean sprouts and soy sauce, , sorry I couldn't resist, I don't want to promote stereotypes. For instance the Swiss eat dogs too, but no one has a cow at them for doing so do they?
I have seen meat dogs. It's depressing. I hear it's tasty. Won't take the plunge, I'm vegetarian.

Old 12-15-2010, 07:34 AM

344 posts, read 462,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhereoutthere15 View Post
You do realize that Shanghai is in a country that treats its citizens like dog poo right?
When did Shanghai become a part of the USA?

Old 12-15-2010, 08:24 AM

26 posts, read 70,362 times
shanghai is very international now ,many young people can speak easy English. maybe this can help you adpt here easier.

if you come here ,there will be a great chance that you will live in a apartment without yard. most houses in shanghai are high buildings now. two floor house with yard is seldom seen in the city. but normally there will be a large park around one community.

people here really love dogs, you can see dogs everywhere.

about rent cost ,it varies much according to the place you choose. but most house are well furnitured with at least air-conditional, refrigerator,washing machine, TV. if you need some cost reference, you can tell me the area and the basic condition you want. such as in Pudong, Yangpu,Jiading and so on.

shanghai is a very positive ,high pace city. it's a good place for career development. public security is good here.

SHANGHAI CHINA

Old 12-15-2010, 08:28 AM

26 posts, read 70,362 times
Pudong Area
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia