Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2019, 12:23 AM

174 posts, read 214,131 times

Advertisements

Can anyone suggest any products that are easily found in Canada/USA but not as commonly available (or at lesser quality) in Thailand? These would be for a woman and would need to be able to be shipped in a small box.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2019, 01:34 AM

3,109 posts, read 2,973,235 times
Mod cut: Orphaned (quoted post has been deleted).

Levi's skirt or jeans, or even genuine Minnie mouse Disney stuff they like. Take the tags off.. Customs can be a beach here. Cigars and new balance are musts for me on my annual visits to the land of angry feminazis.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 11-12-2019 at 10:02 AM..

Old 11-11-2019, 09:23 AM

5,462 posts, read 9,637,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by visitingthisplanet View Post
Can anyone suggest any products that are easily found in Canada/USA but not as commonly available (or at lesser quality) in Thailand? These would be for a woman and would need to be able to be shipped in a small box.
That's not so easy to do. First of all, what would you as an example of being not as common or of lesser quality in Thailand? The problem is that most anything you can think of as a gift from the US/Canada can be found in Thailand - and a lot cheaper. Shipping something in a small box can sometimes go "missing" after reaching Thailand. Nearly all mail is delivered by postal carriers on a motorcycles. Send her a t-shirt with something that represents Canada or the US, although t-shirts are a dime a dozen in Thailand, most likely a copy of what you chose. Why not send her a calendar with photos of various landmarks or points of interest in Canada or the US, or even photos of western flowers and nature scenes? The advantage is that if it somehow gets "lost" in the mail, it's not a great expense.

As for box size, keep in mind that whatever you send will have to be large enough for your address as well as her address, stamps, and any additional official stickers that might need to be added for international mail. You might also have to declare the contents enclosed and value as required by Customs. BTW, Thai addresses can be pretty long. Make sure you have her full mailing address including the zip code.

How do you know this woman? Have you met before? Have you ever traveled to Thailand? If not, you should consider it as a vacation destination. You can put such items in your check-in or carry-on luggage (I'd recommend the carry-on) as long as it isn't anything illegal, and just give it to her in person. If it isn't anything of value, you won't need to declare it when you go through Customs on arrival in Thailand. Regardless of what some people might otherwise say, Thailand is a pretty fascinating country to visit.

Old 11-11-2019, 05:51 PM

6,456 posts, read 3,980,997 times
Thai women seem to really like some American cosmetics (I think I once read an article by someone who knew a few women who begged him to bring them some kind of placenta face cream when he went to the U.S., though I think the article was old so that particular product may be "out" now), and I have a friend whose coworkers asked him to bring them a bunch of a specific brand of purse from the west when he went-- Longchamp maybe?

Anything that seems luxurious-- nice perfume or makeup or skin products, nicely-wrapped candy, etc. usually tends to be a good gift.

Mod cut: replies to off-topic posts which have been deleted.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 11-12-2019 at 10:08 AM..

Old 11-12-2019, 08:56 AM

50,822 posts, read 24,335,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBazaar View Post
That's not so easy to do. First of all, what would you as an example of being not as common or of lesser quality in Thailand? The problem is that most anything you can think of as a gift from the US/Canada can be found in Thailand - and a lot cheaper. Shipping something in a small box can sometimes go "missing" after reaching Thailand. Nearly all mail is delivered by postal carriers on a motorcycles. Send her a t-shirt with something that represents Canada or the US, although t-shirts are a dime a dozen in Thailand, most likely a copy of what you chose. Why not send her a calendar with photos of various landmarks or points of interest in Canada or the US, or even photos of western flowers and nature scenes? The advantage is that if it somehow gets "lost" in the mail, it's not a great expense.

As for box size, keep in mind that whatever you send will have to be large enough for your address as well as her address, stamps, and any additional official stickers that might need to be added for international mail. You might also have to declare the contents enclosed and value as required by Customs. BTW, Thai addresses can be pretty long. Make sure you have her full mailing address including the zip code.

How do you know this woman? Have you met before? Have you ever traveled to Thailand? If not, you should consider it as a vacation destination. You can put such items in your check-in or carry-on luggage (I'd recommend the carry-on) as long as it isn't anything illegal, and just give it to her in person. If it isn't anything of value, you won't need to declare it when you go through Customs on arrival in Thailand. Regardless of what some people might otherwise say, Thailand is a pretty fascinating country to visit.
Back in 1986, the second time I went to Thailand, I asked my Thai friend here in the States what gift I could take his mother to thank her for her and her husband's kindness to me during the previous year's trip. He immediately said a bottle of the perfume Charley. I told him that I had seen that product in department stores in Thailand, so I'd just buy it there. He made it very clear that it was "not the same" unless the gift actually came from the United States.

And yes, Thailand is a fascinating country, despite its faults.

Old 11-12-2019, 10:11 AM

44,359 posts, read 20,066,476 times
Mod note: This thread has been cleaned up and a number of inappropriate and off-topic posts have been deleted. People, stay on topic. If you can't post something helpful to the OP, then move on to another thread.
Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia