Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-06-2013, 12:10 PM

681 posts, read 1,045,902 times

Advertisements

So i'm an average american, i'm 34 years old, single, no kids or pets or anything like that.
I make about 25k a year with an associates degree in computers. Good variable experience in multiple fields ranging from industrial, lab tech, to computer tech and more.

I don't speak any of the native language spoken in Hong kong but English is my native language, so i'm wondering for someone like me is it difficult to find work and get settled there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2013, 09:28 PM

16,259 posts, read 43,201,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualErik View Post
So i'm an average american, i'm 34 years old, single, no kids or pets or anything like that.
I make about 25k a year with an associates degree in computers. Good variable experience in multiple fields ranging from industrial, lab tech, to computer tech and more.

I don't speak any of the native language spoken in Hong kong but English is my native language, so i'm wondering for someone like me is it difficult to find work and get settled there?
Are you being offered a job? Or are you just considering going to Hong Kong 'on a whim'?

If you're being offered a job, than they'll do the work visa and everything, and you'll be fine. However, that is a very low pay for living in Hong Kong.

If you are just planning to go 'on a whim'. Than you should re-think it. You need a work visa to live and work in Hong Kong. If you were to just come and look at the newspaper, you'll see some jobs postings in English, but they generally almost always want you to be bilingual with Cantonese and/or Mandarin (in addition to English, if it's posted in an English newspapers).

There are a few niches for 'Only ENGLISH speakers', but they are mostly for teaching English (not paid all that well), or upper management types with an office in Hong Kong with the big fat expat bank account - most likely you'd need to have an MBA and be transferred from your home country for those jobs.

Old 10-07-2013, 02:13 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,359,245 times
In order to get a work visa, you will need to have a skill set that isn't available or hard to find in a local person (this is true for nearly all countries). I don't see something that stands out in your experience/background which can't be filled by a HK local.

Also, Hong Kong has an incredibly high cost of living (for housing). Real estate speculation is a national pastime there.

Old 08-17-2019, 05:46 PM

1,136 posts, read 526,317 times
Those that can make it to HK with attractive packages including high pay, decent housing, private hospital medical insurance and international school fees for kids are mostly already in the same company or industry before transferring to HK, the industry being mostly investment banking.

Other parts of Asia are mostly easier than HK for a foreigner looking for English teacher jobs. The pay is mostly less attractive than HK .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia