Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2013, 10:01 AM

10,060 posts, read 12,805,566 times

Advertisements

Philippine English - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Do you sometimes have trouble pronouncing certain words or understanding what other English speakers are saying?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2013, 04:48 PM

1,449 posts, read 2,353,659 times
i have more trouble understanding those with heavy southern accent or those that do the ghetto-speak, pardon me if this comes off offensive to you.

speaking-wise, i have more trouble getting the consistency of three-syllable words (when to accent on the first or second syllable) e.g. projectile. that word has bugged me for a while hehehe.

so what's your point BTW?

Old 07-20-2013, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilam98 View Post
so what's your point BTW?
My point is that despite English being an official language of the Philippines, many Filipinos seem to struggle with it in the U.S.

Old 07-20-2013, 09:01 AM

1,449 posts, read 2,353,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
My point is that despite English being an official language of the Philippines, many Filipinos seem to struggle with it in the U.S.

it is an official language, yes, but it's NOT our first language. besides, which country in the world that has english as an official language that would NOT struggle with US english? except for canada maybe, but even countries like UK, ireland and australia/NZ that PRIMARILY speak english, they would also struggle with american english IN THE US due to differences in culture/expression/idioms/accent etc. i have irish and british coworkers that struggle with american english here in the US--and they all speak english as their PRIMARY language. what more for a country that speaks english as SECONDARY language?

heck even among you so-called native citizens of US, there is some regional struggle with your own language due to differences in culture/accents/etc e.g. northeastern vs southern accents.

Old 07-20-2013, 08:37 PM

2,351 posts, read 7,089,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zilam98 View Post
it is an official language, yes, but it's NOT our first language. besides, which country in the world that has english as an official language that would NOT struggle with US english? except for canada maybe, but even countries like UK, ireland and australia/NZ that PRIMARILY speak english, they would also struggle with american english IN THE US due to differences in culture/expression/idioms/accent etc. i have irish and british coworkers that struggle with american english here in the US--and they all speak english as their PRIMARY language. what more for a country that speaks english as SECONDARY language?

heck even among you so-called native citizens of US, there is some regional struggle with your own language due to differences in culture/accents/etc e.g. northeastern vs southern accents.
Agree

Old 07-21-2013, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermosaa View Post
Agree

I am sorry. I should have shown more sensitivity. I think many Americans would have trouble understanding this man.

Watch The last full-service gas station @ Komando Video

Old 07-22-2013, 07:47 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,557,894 times
American English is a pretty poor standard to compare against. About 1 in a 1000 Americans can use "take" versus "bring" properly. Subject-verb agreement here in the US is regularly mangled. Pronunications is problematic - ask an American to say utter and then udder. You'll hear udder udder. Or hearty and hardy. You'll get the same problem. Vocabulary here is limited considering the number of words in the English language - though this may be a result of so many immigrants from different countries in the last 200 yrs having to come up with a smaller common subset of easily-remembered words.

Old 07-22-2013, 07:48 AM

3,635 posts, read 10,744,395 times
Language changes all the time; you can't stop it. If you want "correct" English, then go back to speaking Old English.

Old 07-22-2013, 11:11 AM

2,351 posts, read 7,089,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
American English is a pretty poor standard to compare against. About 1 in a 1000 Americans can use "take" versus "bring" properly. Subject-verb agreement here in the US is regularly mangled. Pronunications is problematic - ask an American to say utter and then udder. You'll hear udder udder. Or hearty and hardy. You'll get the same problem. Vocabulary here is limited considering the number of words in the English language - though this may be a result of so many immigrants from different countries in the last 200 yrs having to come up with a smaller common subset of easily-remembered words.
I agree, vocabulary in American English is quite limited compare to British English

Old 07-23-2013, 06:26 AM

108 posts, read 259,481 times
I believe Filipinos call it "nose bleed" when they struggle to speak English but in all honesty of all the Asian nations I would say from my experience that Filipinos speak the best English ok its American english and not British but still clear and easy to understand. Here is Singapore many helpdesk or call centres are done by Filipinos because they are much easier to understand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia