Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2015, 09:58 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,707,457 times

Advertisements

I'm investigating taking a beach vacation to the Philippines (more specifically Palawan) in the not too distant future and wondering about vaccinations I should get before I potentially go. I've been seeing a lot of conflicting reports online about which ones to get i.e. Some sites say I should take anti-malaria pills and others say malaria is not common in the Philippines. Anyone here travelled to the Philippines and if so what was your experience? What is the real potential for illness?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2015, 10:08 PM

12,387 posts, read 8,155,775 times
I'm not a doctor but I'll play one here

Centers for Disease Control reccomendations

I never had a problem in Manila or any resort areas. Outside of the resorts I haven't been to the provinces.

Old 04-28-2015, 01:11 AM

1,141 posts, read 2,204,051 times
Malaria is not common in the Philippines. If you are just visiting urban areas and beach resorts frequented by tourists, there's no risk. There is no need to take malaria pills if you only go to Metro Manila, Cebu (anywhere in the entire province), Boracay, Puerto Princesa or El Nido. There is a risk in some parts of Palawan, especially the remote areas. If you are trying to explore the jungle on your own in Palawan, for example, then the risk of malaria is there.

The most common mosquito-borne disease in the Philippines is dengue fever, followed by chikungunya. Neither have vaccines, but risks of getting them are low especially in the dry season. If you are going for a beach vacation, better plan it during dry season unless you like swimming when it's raining. Dengue fever can have complications, but the first time you get dengue fever, it's mostly mild. It's the 2nd or 3rd time wherein the probability of complications increase a lot, so it's more feared by locals. Nevertheless, avoid mosquito bites. There aren't lots of mosquitoes near the beach, and I guess most sunblock can act as mosquito repellants as well. Feel free to apply some repellant if you feel the need, but mosquitoes often feed at dusk or at night. Get an airconditioned room, sleep under a blanket and apply repellant on exposed areas. If you insist on sleeping naturally with the sea breeze, sleep under a mosquito net.

I agree with the CDC's assessment that if you are going to get a vaccine in preparation for travel to the Philippines, get the hepatitis A vaccine.

Old 04-28-2015, 09:29 AM

10,635 posts, read 16,707,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenTiger View Post
Malaria is not common in the Philippines. If you are just visiting urban areas and beach resorts frequented by tourists, there's no risk. There is no need to take malaria pills if you only go to Metro Manila, Cebu (anywhere in the entire province), Boracay, Puerto Princesa or El Nido. There is a risk in some parts of Palawan, especially the remote areas. If you are trying to explore the jungle on your own in Palawan, for example, then the risk of malaria is there.

The most common mosquito-borne disease in the Philippines is dengue fever, followed by chikungunya. Neither have vaccines, but risks of getting them are low especially in the dry season. If you are going for a beach vacation, better plan it during dry season unless you like swimming when it's raining. Dengue fever can have complications, but the first time you get dengue fever, it's mostly mild. It's the 2nd or 3rd time wherein the probability of complications increase a lot, so it's more feared by locals. Nevertheless, avoid mosquito bites. There aren't lots of mosquitoes near the beach, and I guess most sunblock can act as mosquito repellants as well. Feel free to apply some repellant if you feel the need, but mosquitoes often feed at dusk or at night. Get an airconditioned room, sleep under a blanket and apply repellant on exposed areas. If you insist on sleeping naturally with the sea breeze, sleep under a mosquito net.

I agree with the CDC's assessment that if you are going to get a vaccine in preparation for travel to the Philippines, get the hepatitis A vaccine.
Cool! Thanks for that good advice

Old 05-02-2015, 02:25 PM

440 posts, read 662,583 times
Malaria is nearly totally eliminated in many Asian countries. There is almost no risk of it in Singapore, Brunei , Malaysia, HK, Macau, Taiwan, Okinawa, Guam and Palau. The risk is small too in Mainland China, Thailand and the Phillippines.

Dengue dever is the most common acute disease in SE Asia, infecting millions of people. Singapore, being a very clean country, is not spared and have many cases through the whole year. Most cases are not life-threatening but going to a doctor is highly recommended if have the symtoms.

You will need Hepatatis vaccines for SE Asia. The chronic Hepatatis B is the most important and difficult to treat if infected.

You can easily prevent food borne diseases by careful diet. Avoid ice, unwashed vegetables and fruits if really paranoid. Tap water must be treated before drinking.

Old 05-02-2015, 04:31 PM

20 posts, read 21,060 times
I had Hepatitis A vaccination as a precaution. But as others said, malaria is nothing to worry about, especially if you're just going to Manila and Palawan. Just drink filtered or bottled water.

Old 05-04-2015, 02:44 PM

399 posts, read 720,067 times
Dengue fever..mosquitoes. Stop being paranoid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia