Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2013, 08:39 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,801,597 times

Advertisements

I've thought of going Japan to live and teach English for maybe a year, but I know there's a lot of demand...South Korea might be a second option, but I have less interest in Korea or Korean culture. I have Chinese friends who have suggested China too, and Shanghai might be a good experience.

I'm wondering if Seoul seems more like urban China or urban Japan? In terms of the city, people, cost of living, culture, lifestyle.etc.

Last edited by The Postman; 08-14-2013 at 08:55 AM..

Old 08-14-2013, 08:52 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,195,107 times
Much more like China. Korean people are opposite of Japanese people. Chinese and Korean are quite similar in many ways. Also, both Korea and China has tons of 'smells' everywhere, whereas Japan is just super clean.

Old 08-14-2013, 08:55 AM

Interesting...most of my travelling in Asia has been SE Asia, and there are smells everywhere. In fact the smells are probably the most memorable thing about those place. Actually China wasn't as 'smelly' in that sense, but it was a more temperate climate and was in winter too.

Old 08-14-2013, 09:21 AM

9,229 posts, read 9,758,341 times
Generally speaking, Japanese people are more polite and "civilized" than both Chinese and Koreans. However, that also means they are more "hypocritic" and do not speak their mind.
It depends on what you want.

Old 08-14-2013, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
Generally speaking, Japanese people are more polite and "civilized" than both Chinese and Koreans. However, that also means they are more "hypocritic" and do not speak their mind.
It depends on what you want.
I've had casual acquaintance with Japanese and Koreans, and both seem pretty friendly.

Old 08-14-2013, 10:29 PM

26 posts, read 55,738 times
Smells ? What the **** ? LOL. I've been to Seoul and the only smell I recall was a strong smell of these dumpling like food in this nice little restaurant.

Old 08-14-2013, 10:36 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,758,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
I've had casual acquaintance with Japanese and Koreans, and both seem pretty friendly.
People in East Asia are friendly to westerners in general, much better than how they are treated in western countries.

I heard people (women) in Hong Kong are less interested in westerners and can be cold.
Beijingers may be rude to foreigners too, and often assume you speak Chinese; but other parts of China should be ok.

Old 08-15-2013, 05:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
People in East Asia are friendly to westerners in general, much better than how they are treated in western countries.

I heard people (women) in Hong Kong are less interested in westerners and can be cold.
Beijingers may be rude to foreigners too, and often assume you speak Chinese; but other parts of China should be ok.
Not speaking Mandarin I wasn't able to really talk to people when in China. But even then, I went on a local tour and got some idea of how the people we travelled with were and plenty were friendly.

I'm culturally a Westerner with Asian ancestry, so I don't know if that makes any difference, but the Japanese people have all been very polite and cordial. Met many friendly people from Hong Kong as well, although actually going to HK I didn't feel the people were very warm, my mother doesn't either although she speaks just a smidgen of Cantonese.

Old 08-15-2013, 08:30 AM

30,370 posts, read 19,162,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
I've thought of going Japan to live and teach English for maybe a year, but I know there's a lot of demand...South Korea might be a second option, but I have less interest in Korea or Korean culture. I have Chinese friends who have suggested China too, and Shanghai might be a good experience.

I'm wondering if Seoul seems more like urban China or urban Japan? In terms of the city, people, cost of living, culture, lifestyle.etc.

I've lived and worked in Shanghai and Seoul but only been to Tokyo a short time. The COL in Seoul is closer to Tokyo...my small apartment cost $6300/month in Gangnam Gu. In Shanghai, my large plsuh apartment was $3500/mo.

I think like Tokyo, the Seoul development including subway is outstanding while in Shanghai it's still under development. Likewise, the food in Seoul is much better.

Culturally the Chinese are much more open than the Koreans. So imo, the Koreans seem more like the Japanese than Chinese.

If I were choosing, I think I would go with Shanghai as it's more interesting and the people friendly and it's less expensive than Seoul or Tokyo.

Old 08-15-2013, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
I've lived and worked in Shanghai and Seoul but only been to Tokyo a short time. The COL in Seoul is closer to Tokyo...my small apartment cost $6300/month in Gangnam Gu. In Shanghai, my large plsuh apartment was $3500/mo.

I think like Tokyo, the Seoul development including subway is outstanding while in Shanghai it's still under development. Likewise, the food in Seoul is much better.

Culturally the Chinese are much more open than the Koreans. So imo, the Koreans seem more like the Japanese than Chinese.

If I were choosing, I think I would go with Shanghai as it's more interesting and the people friendly and it's less expensive than Seoul or Tokyo.
Yeah the Koreans are often grouped with the Japanese, but they do seem in between Japanese and Chinese culturally, although they've got their own unique thing. Isn't Gangnam one of the most expensive districts though?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia