Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2014, 12:39 AM

1 posts, read 933 times

Advertisements

I'm a 21 year old guy who lives in a gated community in a suburb somewhere in Tangerang (approximately 40 km west of Jakarta). The gated community which consisted of around 300 houses has security guards as well as other amenities, and it's run by an HOA body. A year ago I was elected a board member of it as the treasurer.

The major problem the HOA faces is a few homeowners' delinquency to pay the HOA fees ($30-50/month), so at the beginning of this year, we put up a sanction that every homeowner that is behind with their payment for more than 6 months, will lose their privilege to park their cars, as well as their guests entry to the gated community. If a certain home is still behind for more than a year, the homeowners will be denied access NOT to their properties, but to the driveway/road even if it's by foot (so the homeowners still can access with other methods such as teleportation or flying) until they can pay their dues or agree to a payment plan that we offered. There's this neighbor of mine who is behind with his HOA dues for almost 4 years, the previous treasurer had given up on collecting the dues from him. Since I became the treasurer, I've had countless meetings with this guy and had offered several payment plans as well as deduction of the total bill, and every time he promised to pay the HOA fees but not a single payment was done. A week ago he got caught bringing a large moving truck into the complex, turns out that he was planning to move somewhere else and I instructed the security guard to refuse the truck's entrance, later on the day, he and his family had gone from their house without brining any item/furniture from the house and had yet to be seen for a couple of days.

This morning I was awaken by one of the doorman saying none of the other HOA board members were home. The guy has returned to the gated community with his wife and they were enraged that their access to the driveway/road that leads to their house had been repudiated. And I got into a heated argument with them, and suddenly he went berserk, if the security guards hadn't hold him off and one of them didn't recuse me (literally swept me off my feet from the scene) I would've been punched. He left anyway without any of his belongings.

How to deal with this kind of situation?

A few points that I'd like to share:

1. The access road/driveway and everything inside the gated community are maintained and completely funded by our own, solely by using the cash from the collected HOA dues, we don't accept public money.

2. that our country's law does not permit the HOA to put lien or foreclose the houses that are behind with their HOA payments. No detailed rules regarding HOA, only a clause that says "all homeowners inside HOA must pay their dues, or subjected to imprisonment"

3. All the members of the HOA boards are not paid for their time and effort and still charged the same rate as other homeowners.

4. According to my neighbor, the house that he lives in is not his, but in fact belongs to one of his relatives, he's just allowed to stay in the house by the actual homeowner (reason unknown).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia