Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2014, 06:15 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,801,597 times

Advertisements

This isn't a rant, but I've noticed that cities around Australia, especially the inner city centre/CBD and surrounding suburbs, are rapidly becoming a lot more Asian than before. For instance in Melbourne there are so many Chinese, Korean, Japanese, Thai, Malaysian and other Asian restaurants, and hardly any Italian restaurants for instance! They are still there on Lygon Street and in many suburbs, but it seems dumplings or Vietnamese pho are as common as pizza or pasta now. If you walk around the city it seems at least 50% of the people are Asian, whether it be Perth, Adelaide, Melbourne, Sydney or Brisbane. Sydney and Melbourne the most so. Also many outer areas are becoming increasingly Asian.

Old 03-30-2014, 06:18 AM

1,869 posts, read 1,827,401 times
This is the worldwide trend.. People going everywhere .. Your own country people going other countries as well

Old 03-30-2014, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by singaporelady View Post
This is the worldwide trend.. People going everywhere .. Your own country people going other countries as well
True, the biggest influx is now from the PRC. There is also a Korean invasion, but more as working holiday/students (often English students) than permanent residents. I see tons of Korean restaurants and grocery stores now, which I think is a good thing.

Old 03-30-2014, 06:21 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,938,262 times
It's the same here as well. For the past 10 years, the Mexican population has been increasing here. Now it's starting to slow down, even decrease since I hear less Spanish being spoken. What I do see more during the past 5 years are more Asians, especially from SEA. In my area of the state, mostly Vietnamese and Korean make up the bulk of the Asians.

Old 03-30-2014, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
It's the same here as well. For the past 10 years, the Mexican population has been increasing here. Now it's starting to slow down, even decrease since I hear less Spanish being spoken. What I do see more during the past 5 years are more Asians, especially from SEA. In my area of the state, mostly Vietnamese and Korean make up the bulk of the Asians.
Are they coming from other parts of the US?

Old 03-30-2014, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Are they coming from other parts of the US?
Not sure, the groups that came here to my area first (as the gateway) would be the Koreans and the few Japanese that do live here. Most of the SEAs and Chinese come from Philadelphia or NYC as their first settlement in the US.

The Asians that are putting down roots here are mostly from Vietnam, Cambodia, and China. The transient ones (mostly on student visas) are the Japanese. Koreans are 50/50, there are plenty of them resident here, and also plenty that are on a student visa.

Old 03-30-2014, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Not sure, the groups that came here to my area first (as the gateway) would be the Koreans and the few Japanese that do live here. Most of the SEAs and Chinese come from Philadelphia or NYC as their first settlement in the US.

The Asians that are putting down roots here are mostly from Vietnam, Cambodia, and China. The transient ones (mostly on student visas) are the Japanese. Koreans are 50/50, there are plenty of them resident here, and also plenty that are on a student visa
Yes, I doubt there's much Japanese migration to the States anymore. Permanent immigration from South Korea has probably declined a lot as it has got wealthier.

Old 03-30-2014, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Yes, I doubt there's much Japanese migration to the States anymore. Permanent immigration from South Korea has probably declined a lot as it has got wealthier.
Nope, that train stopped at WWII, pretty much. Permanent emigration from Japan, period, is probably the lowest in the world. Though, I always joke around that Hawaii isn't the 50th state of the US, it's the 48th prefecture of Japan (though nowadays Filipinos have outnumbered the Japanese)

Not sure about Korea. All I know is we have roughly 1/3 of all overseas Koreans living in the US, most of them permanently. They are still coming here, too; in my area not all of them are from NYC metro, either.

Old 03-30-2014, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Nope, that train stopped at WWII, pretty much. Permanent emigration from Japan, period, is probably the lowest in the world. Though, I always joke around that Hawaii isn't the 50th state of the US, it's the 48th prefecture of Japan

Not sure about Korea. All I know is we have roughly 1/3 of all overseas Koreans living in the US, most of them permanently. They are still coming here, too; in my area not all of them are from NYC metro, either.
Interesting. Yes Koreatown in NYC seems pretty big and vibrant now. There's not much of Little Italy left in Manhattan.

Old 03-30-2014, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Interesting. Yes Koreatown in NYC seems pretty big and vibrant now. There's not much of Little Italy left in Manhattan.
I've been to Fort Lee, NJ before. Most of the businesses in these areas have signs in Korean, and most of the people walking the streets are Korean. There's such a high density of them it doesn't feel like the US lol. Are Aussie cities experiencing the same, or is it not on the scale like the 'Asia'towns of the US quite yet?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia