Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2015, 09:59 PM

127 posts, read 109,316 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by valsteele View Post
There's no question China was poor in 1990 (or even 2000) compared to now, but do you think the numbers from China are trustworthy? Also, has it trickled down to everyone in China or is it only a small minority of people who have benefited?

How does the life of an average Chinese person compare - is it most comparable to India, America, Latin America or western Europe?
I know one kid from China pursuing a PHD in science at New York University in New York City. His parents are not rich. Both of them live in China. His mother is a bank clerk and his father drives a truck in China. But they pay $50,000 USD a year for his tuition and living costs. NYU is one of the most expensive colleges in US if not the world. I know some guy making more than $100,000 USD a year here in New York. He is even having trouble paying his kid going through some average college. I have no idea how that kid's parent is able to afford it. I bet they probably sold their houses in China and make a lot of sacrifices to let their son have a better life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2015, 12:43 AM

9,229 posts, read 9,760,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmun View Post
I know one kid from China pursuing a PHD in science at New York University in New York City. His parents are not rich. Both of them live in China. His mother is a bank clerk and his father drives a truck in China. But they pay $50,000 USD a year for his tuition and living costs. NYU is one of the most expensive colleges in US if not the world. I know some guy making more than $100,000 USD a year here in New York. He is even having trouble paying his kid going through some average college. I have no idea how that kid's parent is able to afford it. I bet they probably sold their houses in China and make a lot of sacrifices to let their son have a better life.

99% PhD students in science have assistantship/scholarship and do not need to pay any tuition. They also have a stipend, which is about $3000 per month in NYU.

That being said, it is true that middle class Chinese families usually can afford sending their child to a US school. In China, savings rate is extremely high. My parents (they teach) save 80% of their income.

Old 03-22-2015, 04:57 AM

5,792 posts, read 5,109,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
99% PhD students in science have assistantship/scholarship and do not need to pay any tuition. They also have a stipend, which is about $3000 per month in NYU.

That being said, it is true that middle class Chinese families usually can afford sending their child to a US school. In China, savings rate is extremely high. My parents (they teach) save 80% of their income.
Part of that high saving rate is due to the tradition of Chinese frugality. But another is the fear that comes from a weak social safety net. It's a huge problem when China is trying to reform its economy and switch its engine of growth from investment intensive and property speculation intensive, to consumer intensive and service intensive.

If the Chinese continue to save 80% and send their kids to US colleges, what they are effectively doing is slaving away their whole lives, forgoing immediate consumption, giving their savings to US institutions and other consumer focused companies, and starving Chinese service and consumer focused companies in the process. This is very bad for China and very good for the US. I live in the US and own a home here. In my city, the Chinese are flooding in and driving up RE value. It's good for me but I also know that this is not a benefit to China itself.

Old 03-22-2015, 11:02 AM

127 posts, read 109,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post

Yeah, you are right!

My mistake. For clarity, his son is getting a MS degree in biology at NYU now. He will pursue a PHD in science at NYU after his completion of MS degree. He might study for a PHD in medicine if his MCAT is high enough. His parents are paying through the roof now. I could imagine what their parents will be paying if their son got accepted into the medical school. I don't think medical school has stipends for students. It is much easily if he just get a loan here, but he is a foreigner. Banks here don't usually lend money to foreigners. So the financial burden falls on his parents. Medical school could be very expensive. Probably around $70,000 USD including tuition and other costs. His parents now are paying $50,000 USD for his son's MS degree at NYU.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia