Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2015, 09:27 PM

1,110 posts, read 1,378,875 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chacho_keva View Post
I'm not Filipino but have for long had a deep appreciation for the country's general well being. To that I add that my Filipina wife says I'm a FIT, that is . . . a Filipino In Training.

I've visited the Philippine Islands (PI) but a handful of times. The last visit was in 2014. Falling in love with the country and its people is irresistible.

Were I a Filipino resident, I'd want a tenacious President who'd place the Spratly Island issue high on his/her agenda, attacking the problem first through diplomatic channels, but simultaneously ensuring that proper military alternatives were in place (i.e., continuation of bringing US forces into the equation). Come what may, the country must not succumb to China's bullying.

I'd want a President who'd counter Catholicism's stronghold on the minds of Filipinos by having an openly realistic discussion about family planning. Far too many impoverished Filipinos have large families which they are scarcely able to provide for. This has been the result of the Church's adamant opposition to birth control.

Given the propensity of stronger typhoons as of late, the President should secure the finances necessary to bolster reliable infrastructure, power generation/transmission/distribution, potable water, waste management, etc..

Lastly, I'd want a President who made a palpable effort to eradicate Public Servant corruption by implementing laws which made corruption a severely punishable crime. Public Servants are there to serve the needs of their constituents, not the other way around.
very good observations, couldn't agree more

This current administration is slowly rehabilitating the country but we need someone who work with urgency.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2015, 07:39 AM

12,385 posts, read 8,144,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kent_moore View Post
very good observations, couldn't agree more

This current administration is slowly rehabilitating the country but we need someone who work with urgency.
President Aquino lost a lot of political capital when the Philippine National Police lost 44 officers in an attempt to capture a Malaysian terrorist. Possible the single biggest loss in any battle during the so-called "Global War on Terror". And now he is a term limited lame duck.

Old 05-10-2015, 08:28 AM

8,864 posts, read 8,440,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
President Aquino lost a lot of political capital when the Philippine National Police lost 44 officers in an attempt to capture a Malaysian terrorist. Possible the single biggest loss in any battle during the so-called "Global War on Terror". And now he is a term limited lame duck.
Sounds like President Ma of Taiwan, aka a ****ing ****

Old 05-11-2015, 02:57 AM

1,141 posts, read 2,202,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kent_moore View Post
6. Or just simply the one that can continue the current administration legacy?
Current administration is the most overrated in Philippine history. After Typhoon Haiyan (typhoon Yolanda), it shows how the incumbent PH president only points fingers but fails to help. There's no accurate death toll and donations end up stuck at the port and not distributed. The disaster relief is just so pathetic, that Tzu Chi (the Buddhist organization from Taiwan) has done more for the victims than the Philippine government. Temporary shelter from the PH government are just made of coconut lumber and are said to cost millions of pesos? Sorry, the incorruptible image is just media hype from what happened during this disaster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
Filipinos are just forgiving that it took until this incident for many to realize that the PH president has no concern for the citizenry or those who serve the nation. He did not even meet the remains of those who gave their lives for the country.

Old 05-11-2015, 05:13 AM

8,864 posts, read 8,440,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenTiger View Post
The disaster relief is just so pathetic, that Tzu Chi (the Buddhist organization from Taiwan) has done more for the victims than the Philippine government. .
Oh the irony. Here Tzu Chi has been receiving plenty of backlash recently.

Old 04-05-2016, 12:17 PM

One month before the election, the 2 front runners are now vying for the highest post in the country.

Senator Grace Poe:
- Her supporters are drawn to her kindly personality, as well as strong sentiments for her adoptive father, the late action superstar Fernando Poe Jr.
- A former MTRCB (Media Regulatory Board) chairman.
- Senator for 6 years.
- 47 years old.

Cons:
- A former US Citizen with residency issue but allowed by the Supreme Court.
- Association to rich people and big corporations like San Miguel Corporation.

Davao City Mayor Rodrigo Duterte:
- Duterte gains among Filipinos wanting strong, decisive action, especially against crime and corruption. His straight-talking soundbites also win favor.
- Davao City (3rd biggest metropolitan) Mayor for 22 years.
- Restored peace and order to the city.
- 71 years old.

Cons:
- Accuse of extra judicial killing of criminals in Davao City.
- Foul mouth, he cuss in public.

If you were to choose one of them, who will you choose?

Old 04-06-2016, 10:45 AM

399 posts, read 719,647 times
Duterte sounds like a good person to be the next president. He will actually kill/execute criminals. You need to be tough. Look at how he's improved Davao City. It would be refreshing to have someone that is not corrupt for a change. Someone not bought out by the drug lords etc.

Old 04-06-2016, 10:50 AM

549 posts, read 722,426 times
Whoever the President is going to be needs to remove that stupid law about foreigners not being able to own business or properties there.

Hundreds of millions of investment dollars are choosing to go other places as a result. No new money will generate no changes., in my opinion.

The rest of the list of things to do is long, really, really long.

Old 04-06-2016, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who Dat View Post
Whoever the President is going to be needs to remove that stupid law about foreigners not being able to own business or properties there.

Hundreds of millions of investment dollars are choosing to go other places as a result. No new money will generate no changes., in my opinion.

The rest of the list of things to do is long, really, really long.
Both the front-runners are pushing for constitutional change specifically for economic provision. However, Poe's credibility is questionable due to her association with local oligarchs.

Old 04-06-2016, 04:26 PM

12,385 posts, read 8,144,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalmain View Post
Duterte sounds like a good person to be the next president. He will actually kill/execute criminals. You need to be tough. Look at how he's improved Davao City. It would be refreshing to have someone that is not corrupt for a change. Someone not bought out by the drug lords etc.
I thought that the death penalty was dropped in a successful attempt to lure another visit by a Pope?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia