Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2017, 11:27 AM

1,519 posts, read 1,772,773 times

Advertisements

Vietnam war veterans in the U.S. are in their 60s and 70s so the same would be true of the vets in Vietnam, I assume. I wonder if any americans that have traveled to Vietnam have had any bad experiences because of our 10 bloody war that we fought in Vietnam. But probably the majority of the population wasn't even born then because its been over 40 years since the war.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2017, 07:17 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,497,292 times
There is going to be some, particularly in Vietnam which was hit hard back in the 60’s to 70’s, however it’s important to remember that not everyone there supported the Vietcong. There are a number of Vietnamese who resent the North for its influence on the country following the reunification as they disliked the economic policies conducted by communism at the time.
The US also helped a bunch of people from the South resettle following the fall of Saigon, so those who fought against the Vietcong are thankful for it.

That’s why Ho Chi Minh City gets called Saigon by a bunch of people.

All being said, you will find individuals from both sides even though officially speaking the nation is still led by the party that took over following the war so most monuments and museums will portray the US as the villain in the conflict. While those points are true to a certain extent, it’s important to remember that the stories you find are likely going to be one sided.

Old 09-25-2017, 03:43 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,201,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickerman View Post
Vietnam war veterans in the U.S. are in their 60s and 70s so the same would be true of the vets in Vietnam, I assume. I wonder if any americans that have traveled to Vietnam have had any bad experiences because of our 10 bloody war that we fought in Vietnam. But probably the majority of the population wasn't even born then because its been over 40 years since the war.
No issue at all.

Remember Vietnam's history.

FRANCE: A few centuries of war with France....which ended not to long before the 'American War' began...as the Vietnamese call it.

CHINA: A long history of war with China..also somewhat similar in time to the 'American War' and all the fighting with France... and China tried to invade all of Vietnam, which will be in people's memory.

CAMBODIA: During the 'American War', POL POT was going crazy over in Cambodia...directly after the 'American War', the Vietnamese went over there and kicked him out of power.

AMERICA: A little slice of time when Americans LOST a war with Vietnam...giving Vietnam great pride in kicking the ass of Pol Pot Cambodia, the Americans, China, and France!!!!

Remember vietnam WON the war with the United States. They kicked the ass of the U.S., and the U.S. was completely demoralized as a nation.

When Vietnamese meet Americans...they won't even know what war you are talking about....that entire generation of Vietmanese were constantly at war, and constantly winning. They won't give you much thought. The many around HCMC however who fought along with the Americans, will probably have a ton of family members who emigrated to Texas, California, Louisiana, etc. You might get a number of 'Oh, you are American, do you know my uncle in Texas?' types of questions. You won't get anything negative though. You might feel funny with the realization that Vietnamese consider themselves the victor in all of the wars, and the u.s. was nothing but just another world power trying to get in there. So it might be a 'reality check' for Americans, but you won't get any animosity at all. None.

Old 09-25-2017, 07:20 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,896,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickerman View Post
No! They love Americans! Our tourists bring them money and now, ironically, some security in dealing with it's semi-rival China.

You are correct most of the population was born after the war and they see it as just part of very old history, and you must remember that Vietnam was at war during this period for about half a century - fighting Japan, French, China, Cambodia, and it's other neighbors. America was just one of a long list of enemies they were at war with, the American Phase. You mention the war and they are like "what phase"/"with who". Really no one thinks of the old wars, they live in the present time.

The only exception might be the very old who lost family in the war - like I said there were lots of wars and enemy during that period in Vietnam.
That being said, there is still lots of resentment between the north and south of Vietnam. It's not due to the war but mostly it's a social thing. Our tour guide in Saigon went as far as saying if he went north to Hanoi no one would give him a job because he was from Saigon.

One should note however in visiting Vietnam one can go to various museams about the war, obviously extremely one-sided propaganda pieces detailing the brave NVA and VC "freedom fighters" and the "evil imperialistic" American forces. That being said I found the Chu Chi Tunnels very interesting even if it had displays on how to kill GI's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post
That’s why Ho Chi Minh City gets called Saigon by a bunch of people.
That is not the reason. Ho Chi Minh gets called "Saigon" by just about everyone, including the people that live there. The reason is, simply, "Saigon" is easier to say. My tour guide put it amusingly: "they change name of city but they never change river name, river still called Saigon so we call city Saigon".

Old 09-25-2017, 08:33 PM

1,141 posts, read 1,208,859 times
Actually Saigon (No Chi Minh City) and its people are very pro America, whereas the North in Vietnam, like Hanoi favor Europeans, as well as being slightly more nationalistic.

There is a lot of propaganda when visiting the Chu Chi Tunnels, so I think as an American (or French) tourist, I would keep my thoughts to myself and be very polite and understanding.

Old 09-26-2017, 12:54 AM

101 posts, read 98,758 times
The government is not as Anti-American as it was.

Governments are important to the level of anti foreign sentiment in countries.

Old 09-26-2017, 01:18 AM

5,428 posts, read 3,497,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HSrights View Post

The level of hostility went down in the 90's when diplomatic ties between the two nations were reestablished. The War Remnants Museum was originally called the Exhibition House for US and Puppet Crimes.

Old 09-26-2017, 06:29 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,896,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HSrights View Post

How times change - with the Chinese disputes in the South China Sea, disputes on oil drilling, and occasional boat rammings - the US is like Vietnam's best buddy...practically an ally in arms against the "evil imperialistic" Peoples Republic of China.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia