Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2015, 09:29 AM
JL JL started this thread

8,522 posts, read 14,539,581 times

Advertisements

interesting..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n19lvwe0vng
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2015, 07:01 PM

1,007 posts, read 2,015,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JL View Post
Are these questions from the Academic or the General module?

Old 09-12-2015, 11:14 PM
JL JL started this thread

8,522 posts, read 14,539,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZpharmer View Post
General module writing portion.

Old 09-14-2015, 01:17 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,728,787 times
I don't think more than 10% of native English speakers can score higher on the exam than myself. Many people simply have no idea about grammar etc. Ask them what a preposition or a subject of a sentence is, they will give you a blank look.

Old 09-14-2015, 01:24 PM

8,865 posts, read 8,448,789 times
Quote:
General module writing portion.
It's pretty silly to ask people questions from the writing portion on the street then claim that "native speakers" suck at their native language.

Besides, foreigners who take IELTS usually have done some preparation beforehand(cram schools and whatnot). Most would have a vague idea about how the questions are gonna be like, while these pedestrians didn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZpharmer View Post
I never get the difference of these two. They feel the same to me.

Old 09-17-2015, 11:49 AM

3,437 posts, read 3,288,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
I don't think more than 10% of native English speakers can score higher on the exam than myself. Many people simply have no idea about grammar etc. Ask them what a preposition or a subject of a sentence is, they will give you a blank look.
this is the way they speak: WHERE YOU AT?

Even my daughter speaks like this: GIME ME IT/LOOK IT..am having hard time correcting her

Old 09-22-2015, 05:37 AM

35 posts, read 56,835 times
I got 7.5 band score but I don't know whether it was a pure luck or my English skill overall is above average for non-native English speakers. But yeah, they do ask those kind of questions in IELTS test. In fact, I got one exactly the same question as one of the interviewer's which was about 'who should be responsible for workplace safety standards, government or private owner'. From what I know they don't really care about the content of your writing (although writing a high quality essay is a big plus), the examiner just want to know how well can you write and express your thoughts. If I remember correctly there are two essays for the writing test. One about writing statistics, and the other one will be about writing comparison (advantage-disadvantage or debate).

I'm from Indonesia by the way, if you can't already tell by my username.

Old 05-16-2019, 01:12 PM

5,462 posts, read 3,036,920 times
Quote:
They may have an advantage in speaking. But writing is to be backed with facts and reason. Reading involves some aptitude knowledge too.

Old 05-16-2019, 01:46 PM

8,865 posts, read 8,448,789 times
It's easy for non-native speakers.

Old 05-16-2019, 05:54 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,498,681 times
i don’t know much about IELTS, but PTE (entirely done on computer) has been giving native speakers a lot of trouble, though that largely depends on the type of score an institution or government requests.

In Australia, immigration has recently increased entry level requirements (as in minimum score) for those applying for permanent residence.

If you ask me, I find these exams to be flat out ridiculous. Anyone who has studied in an English institute or can demonstrate that they have conducted activities in English should be exempt from these type of exams. The fact that people end up spending thousands on them, makes them the equivalent of government sponsored scams.

What institutions and governments fail to realise, is that this is a poor way of helping people improve their language skills.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia