Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2018, 03:37 PM

14,611 posts, read 17,626,742 times

Advertisements

Great Circle Mapper

Philippine Airlines currently flies to 58 international destinations in 33 countries and territories across Asia, North America, South America, Africa, Oceania and Europe. I was looking at their future plans to expand long distance routes to Los Angeles, San Francisco, Seattle, Vancouver, Toronto, Houston, Chicago, New York City, in North America, London in Europe, and Abu Dhabi, Dubai, Doha, and Dammam in Saudi Arabia.

How many locations do Filipinos go to work?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2018, 05:04 PM

5,869 posts, read 4,222,175 times
There are a lot in Brunei, and more than half the population of Guam are Filipinos.

I'm not sure "diaspora" is the right word, because most are OFW (Overseas Filipino Workers) who have made their arrangements through government-sanctioned agencies, with a closed-ended contract and intending to return to the Philippines.

Several other airlines also fly to OFW destinations, including Cebu Pacific, which flies to 15 countries.

Old 04-01-2018, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
Several other airlines also fly to OFW destinations, including Cebu Pacific, which flies to 15 countries.
Are there individual flights to the Middle East Airports, or does the plane go to one after the other?
MNL DXB 4,297 mi
DXB AUH 73 mi
AUH DOH 200 mi
DOH DMM 140 mi

Old 04-01-2018, 05:17 PM

5,869 posts, read 4,222,175 times
I believe the Cebu Pacific flights are all single-destination. There is a list of destinatilns here -- https://beta.cebupacificair.com/ . They change frequently, I flew MNL to Doha a couple years ago, they no longer go there.

You might find this site to be easier to use for the kind of information you are looking for. flightconnections.com - All flights worldwide on a map

Old 04-01-2018, 05:37 PM

12,407 posts, read 8,192,347 times
Philippines Statistics Authority

see table 3 at the bottom of the page for an Excel spreadsheet

Quote:
Saudi Arabia continued to be the leading destination of OFWs. About one in every four (23.8%) OFWs worked in this country during the period April to September 2016. The other preferred destinations were United Arab Emirates (15.9%), Europe (6.6%),Kuwait (6.4%), and Qatar (6.2%)

Old 04-01-2018, 05:54 PM

8,507 posts, read 6,926,419 times
Economic necessity. And the OFW’s face many dangers and tribulations in some their work places. In Kuwait for instance an OFW vanished and was found later dead in a freezer located in an abandoned apartment rented by her employers.

Other places offer more safety and a reasonable living and working environment. In Singapore for instance , which had several publicized instances of maid abuse , the government has arrested and jailed local citizens who maltreated their overseas help.

Old 04-01-2018, 08:27 PM

1,117 posts, read 845,922 times
every populated area except Africa and Latin America

Old 04-01-2018, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
You might find this site to be easier to use for the kind of information you are looking for. flightconnections.com - All flights worldwide on a map
Thank you, I think that is a very valuable website.

However, it does not show 5th freedom flights or flights with a further domestic segment like BNE-LAX-JFK.

So from Manila it just has the flights to Vancouver, and does not show the 5th freedom flights from Vancouver to JFK or Chicago or Houston (last two are planned).

Old 04-02-2018, 12:53 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,245,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
How many locations do Filipinos go to work?
Pretty much, EVERYWHERE. Even the places you don't think about.

The traditional centers are everywhere with money, and particularly those who hire domestic helpers - i.e. Hong Kong, Macau, Singapore, Dubai/UAE, Saudi Arabia, Bahrain, Qatar, Kuwait, etc.

But many also go to any of the traditional Anglo-speaking immigrant nations - United States, Canada, Australia, New Zealand.

But honestly speaking, they go EVERYWHERE. I have seen large communities in places you don't expect like Isreal or Cyprus. I wouldn't be surprised if every city and country in Europe has a community of Filipina wives that hangout together often.

I was talking to a friend of mine who lives in HAITI. He was saying that Haiti has TONS of Filipinas that go and live there...why? He suspects they are closer to the U.S., and they assume it might create some way for them to later emigrate there. He doesn't know the real reason, but he was surprised that so many traveled so far, just to live in Haiti of all places - the arguably worst place to relocate to in the Americas hemisphere.

For whatever reason, it appears to me, that most Filipinos are HIGHLY adaptable to different cultures/countries, take on a TON of low-paid work, seem to be completely content in living in small quarters crammed with tons of their fellow Filipinas...i.e. can save on rent, while cooking community meals for their fellow Filipinas, etc. They also have a tendency to marry just about any non-Filipino out there, with a preference for white, but they also readily marry Japanese, Koreans, anyone who will marry them...and they just kind of 'adapt' to taking on a mother role in that nation, cooking korean foods for the kids or whatever the husband's expectations might be, etc., on and on.

In short, everywhere. I was also watching a documentary on the Faroe Islands, all these white guys in arctic who didn't have wives. They mostly married Filipinas, and they are super quick to relocate as wives to them, and extremely happy and content to be able to do so. They just create a little mini-Philippines wherever they go. They might be married to them, but they'll still be going to all of their social groups, usually centered around Tagalog-speaking church groups and social events, as always, and usually children-inclusive...in short, they have large communities everywhere, and just find each other everywhere, and go everywhere.

Old 04-02-2018, 08:13 AM

543 posts, read 827,189 times
Yeah, Filipinos go everywhere including in Africa and Latin America.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia