Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2018, 06:54 AM

1,080 posts, read 838,185 times

Advertisements

So...380 people per year? That doesn't really strike as an impressive number. Should it? If anything, I'd have expected it to be higher, for pretty much any country, but especially one with the development Cambodia has been seeing in recent years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2018, 11:33 AM

9,326 posts, read 22,021,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
That's actually pretty cheap. Many countries require a half a million or a million. That's for citizenship;, not residence. It's pretty easy to set up residence (de facto, if not de jure) with no money at all. Or legal residence with nothing more than proof of income from outside, such as retirement pension, typically only about $15k or so a year.

That $300k from 500 people per year represents about 1/400 of Cambodia's GDP. Normally, the immigrant doesn't have to "pay" that much as a fee, but needs to invest it in a Cambodian enterprise, not refundable.
The 300k is if you invest in the country. If you wanted to make a donation, its roughly 250k. If you've lived in Cambodia for 7 years you can also apply (no $$$).

If you want a Tier 1 passport (visa free access to the US, Canada and Schengen) you will need to pony up 1M upwards (Cyprus, Malta). There are cheaper 'Tier 2' countries (e.g., Shengen access only) an you will pay less than 200k: Dominica and St. Kitts. I read Bulgaria also has a program. The cheapest second passport I believe is the Comoros (40k or less) - but aside from visa free access to several Asian countries, not really worth it. Its even more worthless than a Cambodian passport.

For my $, I'd do Dominica or St Kitts if I wanted to acquire second citizenship by economic donation. When I'm ready to retire, I'm off to Peru.. I just need to be a resident for 2 years (good opp to relearn my Espanol).

Old 04-08-2018, 06:09 PM

5,869 posts, read 4,211,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
It amazes me that foreigners would want to get Cambodia's citizenship.
Owing your government several million dollars in back taxes or being indicted for fraud can be a strong incentive. Living in the US or some other western country is not always milk and honey, and these countries' citizenship sales are directed at a certain clientele that is moire than willing and able to pay for them. Especially since the US IRS has imposed banking regulations that have effectively ended all banking secrecy on Earth, now a US colony.

Old 04-08-2018, 06:14 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,498,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
I'm not sure Id want to travel the world on a Cambodian passport. But the people there are wonderful. I could live there easily. We're thinking of flying up there within the next year, to check it out. It's so much nicer than Thailand.
How so?

Old 04-08-2018, 06:54 PM

1,141 posts, read 1,208,859 times
I coouldn't open up the article for some reason, but does it say where these people are coming from that are taking up Cambodian citizenship? I would assume they are looking to do business in Cambodia and want support when they set up a company there or purchase real estate?

Portugal and Spain offer a golden visa for only 500K Euro's. I think this Cambodian citisenzhip must be related to setting up a business in the country, and I have a feeling many Chinese nationals are involved, if I had to guess.

Old 04-09-2018, 12:41 PM

3,437 posts, read 3,288,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
It amazes me that foreigners would want to get Cambodia's citizenship.
why not? as long as you can keep your American passport too. having Cambodian passport would allow you to visit all the SE Asian countries w/o visa. if you want to retire there, you don't have to go to a third country if your visa is expiring.

some countries don't allow foreigners to own real estate so if they are planning to own a home, invest then having a Cambodian passport would be handy.

Old 04-09-2018, 04:16 PM

3,602 posts, read 2,309,131 times
Australia actually has an agreement with Cambodia in an attempt to resettle some asylum seekers who are being held offshore and will not be allowed into Australia. But I think only a handful have taken up the offer.

Old 04-09-2018, 05:16 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,707,457 times
B
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarisaMay View Post
Australia actually has an agreement with Cambodia in an attempt to resettle some asylum seekers who are being held offshore and will not be allowed into Australia. But I think only a handful have taken up the offer.
To me that seems totally entitled and spoiled to refuse to go to Cambodia just because you can't get into Australia. If you are being persecuted at home or fleeing a war, then people should be grateful for ANY safe country that takes them in. Cambodia these days is relatively peaceful and safe as far as I know. I would much rather live free in Cambodia than live in detention somewhere else.

Old 04-09-2018, 08:07 PM

16,259 posts, read 43,201,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarisaMay View Post
70, according to this video, and Journeyman did a documentary on a few of them:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbrqiGcBN8U&t=848s

Old 04-09-2018, 10:19 PM

75 posts, read 81,848 times
I am not even interested in visiting Cambodia in near future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia