Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2018, 09:49 AM

14,478 posts, read 20,657,588 times

Advertisements

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0BEV_ljUuM

A friend in China told me that this child in slightly over 3 minutes speaks 11 languages.

Can you name them?
The child looks Vietnamese to me.

I'll get the list started with my guesses:
1. Cambodian
2. Vietnamese
3 thru 11= ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2018, 10:25 AM

14,316 posts, read 11,708,830 times
He knows numbers and a few phrases (such as "This is nice, this is very cheap, this costs a dollar") in various languages. I heard Japanese (near the beginning), Thai, Chinese (the song), Spanish, English, German (numbers only), Tagalog and Malay (I believe numbers only in those two languages also).

It's an exaggeration to say he "speaks" all those languages; he definitely does not, but it's nice that he can say a few words to tourists in their own languages.

Last edited by saibot; 11-27-2018 at 10:40 AM..

Old 11-27-2018, 10:31 AM

895 posts, read 604,391 times
Note that he told several of the languages in Mandarin at the beginning of the video. Then, there are some languages mentioned directly in English throughout the video, so I have most of them.

In no particular order:

1. Cantonese
2. Mandarin
3. English
4. Thai
5. French
6. Spanish
7. German
8. Filipino/Tagalog
9. Malay

The other two I'm not sure of because I'm not at a native level in Mandarin, even in just speaking, although I am Chinese.

Old 11-27-2018, 05:08 PM

8,489 posts, read 6,894,642 times
You can go on and on with this. The Philippines alone has about 12 different languages or dialects. Look them up if you’re curious. My wife is Singaporean and there’s Cantonese, Mandarian, Hokkien, Hakka and Malay not to mention Singlish.

Old 11-27-2018, 06:43 PM

5,869 posts, read 4,211,939 times
When I was traveling, I learned ti say "I love you" in every country, szeretlek, mina rakastan sinua, etc, and could probably count to ten in a dozen languages. It's much easier for a child, I heard street urchins in touristy places like Turkey who could converse a little in 5 or 6 languages, begging depends on it for a livelihood. Bartenders in port cities can speak lots of languages. My wife can speak 5 converastionally, maybe 6 but she's forgotten Arabic.

Old 11-28-2018, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
When I was traveling, I learned ti say "I love you" in every country, szeretlek, mina rakastan sinua, etc, and could probably count to ten in a dozen languages. It's much easier for a child, I heard street urchins in touristy places like Turkey who could converse a little in 5 or 6 languages, begging depends on it for a livelihood. Bartenders in port cities can speak lots of languages. My wife can speak 5 converastionally, maybe 6 but she's forgotten Arabic.

You may be from Cebu?

I looked at the background in that video of the people walking buy and the rest. I am guessing the child is a Filipino. Anyone see any other clues as to the location?

Old 11-28-2018, 12:03 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,760,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
He knows numbers and a few phrases (such as "This is nice, this is very cheap, this costs a dollar") in various languages. I heard Japanese (near the beginning), Thai, Chinese (the song), Spanish, English, German (numbers only), Tagalog and Malay (I believe numbers only in those two languages also).

It's an exaggeration to say he "speaks" all those languages; he definitely does not, but it's nice that he can say a few words to tourists in their own languages.
A Chinese-speaking journalist talked to him and it appears he can carry a conversation in Mandarin Chinese.
Moreover his tones are quite correct, so I believe he learned Mandarin systematically, not randomly.

Old 11-29-2018, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
A Chinese-speaking journalist talked to him and it appears he can carry a conversation in Mandarin Chinese.
Moreover his tones are quite correct, so I believe he learned Mandarin systematically, not randomly.
What do you think is his native language? I'm not familiar enough with Mandarin or any other Chinese dialect to tell if he sounds like a native.

The languages that I feel qualified to judge are Japanese, English, German, and Spanish. And he definitely has a non-native accent in all of those.

Old 11-29-2018, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
What do you think is his native language? I'm not familiar enough with Mandarin or any other Chinese dialect to tell if he sounds like a native.
Deep into the video he offers that he can speak Filipino. I doubt the Caucasian with him would need to know that if they were in The Philippines so he must not be Filipino.

That only leaves Vietnamese as my guess. Maybe Cambodian or Laotian.

Old 11-29-2018, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post
Deep into the video he offers that he can speak Filipino. I doubt the Caucasian with him would need to know that if they were in The Philippines so he must not be Filipino.

That only leaves Vietnamese as my guess. Maybe Cambodian or Laotian.
Where do you see that the person with him is Caucasian? I can only see her hands. Her English is heavily accented, too, and sounds Asian-influenced. When he says that he speaks Malay, she responds immediately in that language, so perhaps she is Malaysian or Singaporean.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia