Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2010, 05:09 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,045,388 times

Advertisements

We are putting together a fun care package/ gift basket for a Thai family whom we've never met. We have no idea what their interests are, likes are, etc. We are in America.

I would love some insight or ideas for things to include in our package. I was thinking along the lines of chocolates, music, stuff animals, t-shirts...

What are some things that people in Thailand might really think is cool or really love to have from America?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2010, 05:33 PM

422 posts, read 1,475,353 times
which part of thailand? the more rural parts or big cities like bangkok?

what you have in mind sounds good...i'd also consider to send stuffs like ladies handbags, mens wallets, watches..but it all depends on your budget.

stick with the practical stuffs...that they can use/eat or toys that children can play with. don't send electrical appliances as they most prob won't work in thailand.

Old 01-10-2010, 08:17 PM

27 posts, read 131,309 times
every market in thailand has gucci and prada handbags and nike and reebok sneakers but they are all knockoffs.
they have some of the biggest malls and department stores there so they can get whatever you can buy in the states at much less cost.
different electricity and dvd systems there.
stick with usa souvenir-type stuff like mini statue of libertys, baywatch calenders, elvis or marilyn posters ,etc.

Old 01-11-2010, 01:20 PM

3,078 posts, read 11,062,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfscuba View Post
they have some of the biggest malls and department stores there so they can get whatever you can buy in the states at much less cost.
Quoted for Truth.

I have one suggestion for something special:
Cheese. There is NO cheese in all of SE asia, I'm convinced. Of course, there's not much good cheese inthe United States. But if you can find some decent aged cheese that is well-packaged and waxed to survive the trip, send them that. Check with whoever sells it to make sure you get something likely to survive getting wet and being left in tropical heat (like sitting in a hot mail truck for a week). Don't send tons of it, because they may hate it, but at least it will be something special.

Chocolates are a good idea. You can find them in every market, but they're always a nice thought.

Otherwise, souveniers from your hometown. Photos/photo books, some stuff that showcases your area so they'll get some idea of what it's like where you live.

Do you know anything about the family? Their economic level? If they live in the countryside or city?

Old 01-11-2010, 02:04 PM

422 posts, read 1,475,353 times
while the more affluent city folks in thailand might like souvenirs, photos, baywatch calendars etc....practical stuffs are likely to go down better with the less affluent rural people in thailand. i've visited many rural parts of thailand and some of the people/kids don't even have proper clothes or shoes to wear. so sometimes before i leave, i'd give them some of my good clothes, blankets, watches, bags, candies, chocos, cookies, toys/pictorial books/stationery items like color pencils/crayons for the kids...and the stuffs were always very well received.

Old 01-11-2010, 07:18 PM

845 posts, read 2,327,104 times
They are not big chocolate eaters. There is cheese all over Thailand, and they mostly don't want to eat it. They loved my lonely planet thai phrasebook. 7.95 at B & N. They also love maps. You gotta watch the food items with Customs. You can send them a Moneygram for 7 usd in fees if you want to avoid shipping. If they are in the North; they might like some thermal shirts.

Old 01-11-2010, 10:40 PM

Thank you all for the suggestions - and keep them coming!

This is actually for some of my husbands distant relatives. They live in Bangkok (Nonthaburi? KrisadaNakon Villege? I'm not exactly sure how to read their address yet...). He has not seen or heard from them in a very long time - 25 years or more. I have a feeling they might be somewhat poor. My husband remembers them living very simply... with a house which had a dirt floor. Another part of their house was built over water which helped keep it cool during the hot, humid months.

Very good ideas here. Thanks so much!

So far we have nice photos of the family in nice but simple picture frames (not glass, plexiglass - I was afraid glass might break during shipping). Locally made chocolates which are very good, and also have locally grown fruit in some of them with a picture of a local mountain on the box. I was thinking of adding some souvenir type t-shirts and also a souvenir beach towel, since we live near the ocean and go to the beach quite often. You guys have me thinking of more ideas. Thanks so much. Reps to everyone.

Old 01-12-2010, 08:14 AM

5,462 posts, read 9,633,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haggardhouseelf View Post
Thank you all for the suggestions - and keep them coming!

This is actually for some of my husbands distant relatives. They live in Bangkok (Nonthaburi? KrisadaNakon Villege? I'm not exactly sure how to read their address yet...). He has not seen or heard from them in a very long time - 25 years or more. I have a feeling they might be somewhat poor. My husband remembers them living very simply... with a house which had a dirt floor. Another part of their house was built over water which helped keep it cool during the hot, humid months.

Very good ideas here. Thanks so much!

So far we have nice photos of the family in nice but simple picture frames (not glass, plexiglass - I was afraid glass might break during shipping). Locally made chocolates which are very good, and also have locally grown fruit in some of them with a picture of a local mountain on the box. I was thinking of adding some souvenir type t-shirts and also a souvenir beach towel, since we live near the ocean and go to the beach quite often. You guys have me thinking of more ideas. Thanks so much. Reps to everyone.

HHE, if they live in Nonthaburi, then they're located just north of Bangkok. Why don't you go over there and visit them, and of course, take along a few useful gift items? Also, a lot of things have changed over the last 25 years.

Old 01-12-2010, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBazaar View Post
HHE, if they live in Nonthaburi, then they're located just north of Bangkok. Why don't you go over there and visit them, and of course, take along a few useful gift items? Also, a lot of things have changed over the last 25 years.
We would love to visit them. We are living on a single income right now, and we have kids and are also saving to buy a home... so financially for us that would be a big trip and also derail some financial plans we currently have going. But we would love to visit them in the future. My husband still speaks some Thai (he was born there and was a fluent speaker when he was young). When he is around others who speak Thai he remembers more and more.

Is Nonthaburi a nice area? Going off their address, I believe they live in the Pak Kret district.

Old 01-12-2010, 10:55 AM

5,462 posts, read 9,633,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haggardhouseelf View Post
We would love to visit them. We are living on a single income right now, and we have kids and are also saving to buy a home... so financially for us that would be a big trip and also derail some financial plans we currently have going. But we would love to visit them in the future. My husband still speaks some Thai (he was born there and was a fluent speaker when he was young). When he is around others who speak Thai he remembers more and more.

Is Nonthaburi a nice area? Going off their address, I believe they live in the Pak Kret district.

I've never been to Nonthaburi, but I know where it is and I've had friends who lived there. It's a mix of old and new, but not as crowded or hectic as urban Bangkok. Nonthaburi is the name of the city, but it's also the name of the province located along the Chao Phraya River. Here are a few images and a short video that give a little peek at downtown Nonthaburi.

What to send to Thailand in care package?-nonthaburi01.jpg

What to send to Thailand in care package?-nonthaburi02.jpg

What to send to Thailand in care package?-nonthaburi03.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyltWwwlT9M

If you click the YouTube link, you'll find several other videos of Nonthaburi.

Here's a map showing where Pak Kret is located.
http://www.ils.co.th/images/Pakkret.gif
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia